• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Original Sci-fi Series: "The Portal"

a for effort

You get an A for effort. A lot went into this, but it still falls short.

Just amazing.

A classic example of how a compelling storyline can overcome production limitations.

Looking foward to future installments. :P

I'm waiting for filming conditions to improve here, so I can finish episode 9. The filming environment has been less than ideal for most of the year, so far. Hopefully, it'll change soon.

Hooray! Now you have two weeks to get part ten done ;)

You were using an actual green sheet for parts of this? Looks like a green outline around some of the shots. At least half the person's clothes don't get keyed out, though.

The physical interaction (pushing/shoving/falling) is pretty good too. Is it hard to plan shots like that? Do you storyboard or similar?

Can't wait for next part.
smiley_bounce.gif
(and buy a lightbulb /nod )

Zensteve said:
You were using an actual green sheet for parts of this? Looks like a green outline around some of the shots.

Yep, the sheet was only used in a couple of scenes, near the end. It works better with Lieutenant West's jacket than the blanket, but not that well with the clothing of the other characters, for some reason. I plan to use it more, in the next episode.

The physical interaction (pushing/shoving/falling) is pretty good too. Is it hard to plan shots like that? Do you storyboard or similar?

Nope, I don't storyboard. It's not that hard to do, though. It's just a matter of having enough footage, sychronizing the action and editing.

pmander said:
This is some very interesting seriers you have going on ..Very imaginative work!!

Thanks.

SteveSutton said:
Thanks, Scott. I remember that show. I used to watch it all the time, when it was on PBS here, in the middle '80s.

Haha.. That was cool Steve.

keep up the good work.. What version of 3ds max do you have?

Was that actually a 5 3/4 disk you used to access a portal?

OMG.. my mom still has a 286

Green Towell screening all the way my friend.

Get vegas video.. it works better then Adobe After Effects. better feathering from what i experienced.

I use 3D Studio Max 3.0. It's old, but it's about the only version that will run on my computer, without making my hard drive race.

I'm not sure what you mean by the 5 3/4 disk. I use a remote control as a prop to do that, but there was a 3.5 floppy disk in the sixth episode.

Premiere works well enough for me. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Great Job

Just wanted to encourage you to keep going. This stuff is great! Someone compared it to Dr. Who and I totally agree. It's got the heart if not the production value (something the "established media" seems to get backwards all the time).

Good luck with the next episodes.

One suggestion, if you set up a website, you could solicit donations through PayPal. I for one would gladly donate in hopes of seeing what you can do.

Thanks, I've got a website, but I wouldn't feel right about asking for or accepting donations. Besides, I don't use banks, so PayPal wouldn't be an option, anyway.

SteveSutton said:
I use 3D Studio Max 3.0. It's old, but it's about the only version that will run on my computer, without making my hard drive race.

I'm not sure what you mean by the 5 3/4 disk. I use a remote control as a prop to do that, but there was a 3.5 floppy disk in the sixth episode.

Premiere works well enough for me. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

I was drinking a bit :D I know you used the remote controll to enter the portal.. i just had a brain fart. the 3.5 looked like one of those acient 5 1/4 disc they had when I was in highschool.

I got max r6 so i guess its a large improvment. If you go to 3dcafe.com they have lots of free plugins for max3 like a paint template that lets you use a paint program to make some cool textures.

BTW.. how did you do the electrical effect like the lightning bolt coming out of the remote. Was that done in video post in max or did you photoshop it in?

I use Jasc's Animation Shop to load the scene, then I paint the electrical effect in, frame by frame. It's a good program for things like that.

I hate rotoscoping, i tried to animate me throwing a fireball, and just too many frames...got about 1/4 of the short 10 second clip done..lol

You're doing a LOT with what you have, wish we could get you a budget!

Back