• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Opera - is this a wise choice?

I have been bitten by the bug, have acted and done stuff on other peoples' productions but now want to give this film making malarkey a go myself. For the first short which I can call my own - shooting in October, I have chosen opera as a soundtrack. The reason for this is opera is:

1. Cheap - no problems with rights as everyone has been dead for hundreds of years
2. I know a lyrical soprano who will perform for free
3. I can accompany her using a harpsichord and my own arrangement.
4. The arrangement will have a degree of originality as it will be taking classical themes and giving them a baroque sound (at least to me, it will be a touch original but most people won't notice).
5. The music has been composed by one of the world's greatest composers so it's good.
6. This will be relatively straightforward to record.

Therefore, it is accessible, free and relatively easy for me to record at a very basic level.

However, the most significant issue I have is popular taste. Opera is extremely unpopular and there are very few out there who would, for example, spend money buying an opera recording or going to watch opera. In addition, the harpsichord has a peculiar sound and its popularity died out over 500 years ago.

So what are your thoughts on using classical music, particularly harpsichord and baroque-driven sounds? Am I just going to drive away the viewer?

Depends on the film. If you are going for something introspective, or a period piece, it could be absolutely perfect. If you're doing something flashy and modern, perhaps less so. Overall though I think viewers are far more likely to enjoy music like that in a film, even if they wouldn't listen to it on their own.

Of course, I like harpsicords and opera (though less so than other forms of classical voice), so I might not be the best, unbiased judge!

I think you're framing this wrong.

"Opera is extremely unpopular" = unique, creative score that doesn't sound the same as everything else that's out there.

Also, I've personally never purchased any classical music. But in movies? Classical is my favorite! So, just cuz someone doesn't listen to a particular music on their own, that doesn't mean it can't majorly enhance a filmmaking experience, and for the music to help tell the story.

I think you've got a terrific plan.

I think you're framing this wrong.

"Opera is extremely unpopular" = unique, creative score that doesn't sound the same as everything else that's out there.

Also, I've personally never purchased any classical music. But in movies? Classical is my favorite! So, just cuz someone doesn't listen to a particular music on their own, that doesn't mean it can't majorly enhance a filmmaking experience, and for the music to help tell the story.

I think you've got a terrific plan.

Thanks - we'll see how it pans out - the shorts I am shooting could be absolutely awful so wait and see! However, it's good to have a second opinion and know that my choice of music is not completely crazy. Even though I must be nuts for wanting to do this film thing...

Opera is great, I love opera. Which opera?

The only problem is what happens if some of your audience speaks Italian, the film won't make as much sense. Plus, if you're taking pieces from the opera and inserting them in whichever order to suit the atmosphere and narrative, it's going to make even less sense. Just think about your audience- remember that to us Opera is beautiful, but to those who speak the language it's just people shouting at each other.

Opera isn't unpopular, and even if it is, it's just part of the film- it's not like people will cast it away when they find out what the music is. It's not that it's unpopular, it's just that a lot of people don't really think about it too much. I'm a music student, and everyone in my class loves opera.

As for your last question, I have many thoughts on Classical music. Not such a fan of Baroque instruments though- but I think that's because I'm a pianist and violinist. Playing a harpsichord or playing a violin with Baroque technique is stressful and frustrating. It's always great to listen to though if you put that aside.

I do know that there is a huge potential fanbase who love that element of the Baroque feel because it's just so cool. As an example, I'm a big fan of an artist called 'Emilie Autumn', a lady who sings, plays incredible violin and merges industrial music with baroque instrumentation and composition. She has a huge fanbase, and every one of them loves the harpsichord.

I'm no expert in this field, but a lot of Opera is re-sung, and re-composed by people who are still alive. Even though they are doing sheet music that was originally done by people who are long dead, the recordings of it, are still made by people and companies that may have rights. Wouldn't you still need permission from the companies that made the recordings you wanna use?

I'm no expert in this field, but a lot of Opera is re-sung, and re-composed by people who are still alive. Even though they are doing sheet music that was originally done by people who are long dead, the recordings of it, are still made by people and companies that may have rights. Wouldn't you still need permission from the companies that made the recordings you wanna use?

You used your thousandth post on my thread! I feel honoured.

I can see you are no expert in this field because, frankly, the answer is... no.

However, I may use simply classical for my first piece and leave it at that. It depends how bad the short is. The opera singer is pretty useful and I may want to keep my powder dry and use her for something which is actually good.

I'd totally watch it. I love musicals of all types. :blush:

Seriosu Q... who are you making the film for?

Good question. The first short has a theme of 'love.' Therefore, there are two types:

1. If it is good, we will want to festival it.
2. If it is not good enough for this (as it is my first 'real' short, I guess it will be terrible, then, well Indietalk will get to see and critique it.)

Otherwise, I see the point you are making behind the question. And it's a good point, well made.

You used your thousandth post on my thread! I feel honoured.

I can see you are no expert in this field because, frankly, the answer is... no.

However, I may use simply classical for my first piece and leave it at that. It depends how bad the short is. The opera singer is pretty useful and I may want to keep my powder dry and use her for something which is actually good.

Interesting, I did not know that.

Well, actually, this is correct. Public domain only applies to the classical writings, not to any recordings, and the correct answer is "yes".

But that shouldn't apply to you, G-on-a-B, cuz you'll have your own recording, no?

It's a moo-point.

But that shouldn't apply to you, G-on-a-B, cuz you'll have your own recording, no?.

Exactly! The reason the answer was 'no' is (as you have noted from the start of the post) I am using my own arrangement with my own performers on top of a score of a composer who has been dead for over 300 years... I'm not a copyright lawyer but I'd guess I'm reasonably safe there. Harmonica44 hadn't read or paid attention to the first post indicating I will be recording my own soprano with me as an accompanist.

The reason it's my own arrangement is I can't afford an orchestra so will have to quickly write an arrangement for harpsichord.

In addition, I might just use a harpsichord by itself - maybe some Bach or something similar. I might keep my powder dry and use the opera singer for my second or third shorts. The first will probably be terrible so I will wait until I have a level of competency and can shoot something approaching half-decent.

Or you never know, I just might be terrible forever!

Last edited:
try revoicing it.

Instead of a singer, have a violinist play the sop line, and other strange things. Try a genre twisting mash up. Squeeze box, banjo and fiddle!

Would love to but unfortunately the only one of those I have is a fiddler. I'd love to borrow the Zac brown band if they're spare this weekend...

I still can't work out what I want, though...

I'd offer to record banjo parts for you, but I still play banjo like a guitarist, and my banjo isn't exactly the best sounding instrument. I'm much better with a mandolin and can rock a dulcimer. Thinking about it, a folk-instrument opera arrangement would be a blast; do you know any hurdy gurdy players?

Seriously though, if you're worried the harpischord might alienate people, maybe work your arrangement for piano instead? Solo piano pieces/scores are not unheard of, and maybe you can even overdub some harpsichord if you want. Again, all depends on the film, so it sounds like you've got time to think about it.

I'd offer to record banjo parts for you, but I still play banjo like a guitarist, and my banjo isn't exactly the best sounding instrument. I'm much better with a mandolin and can rock a dulcimer. Thinking about it, a folk-instrument opera arrangement would be a blast; do you know any hurdy gurdy players?

Seriously though, if you're worried the harpischord might alienate people, maybe work your arrangement for piano instead? Solo piano pieces/scores are not unheard of, and maybe you can even overdub some harpsichord if you want. Again, all depends on the film, so it sounds like you've got time to think about it.

For the end credits, my MD is looking at singing solo - voice only or maybe something with a little piano or church organ arrangement. For the rest, Rachmaninov's prelude in C sharp minor - or excerpts from it - look good.

If she flakes (and that would be a shame as not only does she have the pipes but she is gorgeous with it), then I can cover by a piano piece. Maybe Clair de Lune, possibly an excerpt of the adagio from Pathetique, or a little Satie or Clair de Lune by Debussy. It's no biggie but I'd love her to do this as it is a little bit... 'out there.'

I want the first short to be real 'arthouse' and I think her voice would add to that feel and also give it a slightly unusual sensation. Or maybe screw it up completely! I'll have to see.

Back