tv Openings

Got a favorite TV show opening? Thought of this topic while dipping into Treme again, and I love this one. The song is so good it makes me move and sing along.

And speaking of Treme (HBOMax). I'm sure you all know this, but It is really really good. It might, for some, take a little patience, compared to other stuff, because it is so dense with characters, dense with great scene after scene, and dense, by the way, with great performances: Steve Zahn, John Goodman, (first season) the fantastic Wendell Pierce, Khandi Alexander (remember her from News Radio?) and on and on. And the music, the New Orleans culture. Seriously, is there anyone better than David Simon?

Last edited:
Since I spent most of my life in the music biz I tend to focus on the theme songs.

I like the opening of "Person of Interest" evolved its opening over the seasons. The finish showed that week's number.

A favorite show of mine. I love the kick-ass women!

Yup. All good ones. Especially Sanford and Kotter, written, respectively, by Quincy Jones and John Sebastian. And yea, I like ones that tell a story. I won't put links, since they are so familiar, but thinking of Green Acres, Gillian's Island, and of course (and I'm sorry, lol) Brady Bunch :)

For the sake of contrast, here's the worst tv show intro ever made

And the best one -

Runner up - mainly due to the prevalence of 1970s supermarket background music grade monophonic jazz trumpet recordings and it's timeless message of warning about protecting ourselves from "alien galaxies from beyond space"

Last edited:
I concur with Peacemaker. Yipe! It reminds me of this:

And, for some reason I've never watched Severance, but watching the open, I think I will now. Some really great stuff here. I especially like the coffee cup full of peoples. :)

Edit: Ah, I see why I missed Severance. It's only on Apple TV. Maybe I'll do the free trial and binge it.

Last edited:
I concur with Peacemaker. Yipe! It reminds me of this:

And, for some reason I've never watched Severance, but watching the open, I think I will now. Some really great stuff here. I especially like the coffee cup full of peoples. :)

Edit: Ah, I see why I missed Severance. It's only on Apple TV. Maybe I'll do the free trial and binge it.

I feel like the floor in the "popcorn" video was a lot cleaner than the one in the peacemaker intro. Whenever I saw the Peacemaker intro, I had to check twice to make sure it was really James "1 million dollars per hour" Gunn that directed it. It looked like a group of people from a cosplayer convention broke into an abandoned strip club and made the intro in the middle of the night. The music however, is exactly how I remember the quality of music from 1986. It's lyrical prowess stems from it's juxtaposition of contemporary phrases and dunce rock harmonies paired with Gene Simmons perhaps hyper intellectual single note basslines.

Severance is great. This show really captures my personality, like a grim and surrealistic version of "Office Space", lol.

I came across this behind the scenes for the making of the Peacemaker intro. Apparently I was wrong about this being a terrible creative effort. The people that designed it are explaining that this unique creative endeavor was actually continuing the legacy of Charlie Chaplain, Pablo Picasso, Martin Luther King, Ghandi, Nickola Tesla, Jonas Salk, Tom Sizemore, Sir Ben Kingsley, and the original Mc Hammer backup dancers featured in the historically significant cultural enhancement product "U Can't Touch This".

It was kind of a shock to realize that I had been dismissive of what was in time revealed to be an artwork of such impressive lineage. Had I been aware of it's artistic significance, I certainly would not have diminished it's stature. Now that the above explanation of it's many layers of meaning has been made available, I can see in the clarity of hindsight that the studio was not in error to spend 100 college tuitions on this, but rather had the exceptional vision necessary to see beyond the shallow artistry of directors like Kubrick, who serially wasted the audiences time with pointless sequences that communicated the story or world of the fiction, likely due to their ignorance of historical dance trends.

After watching the video above, I can no longer in good conscience endorse a view of the peacemaker intro as anything less than the modern day equivalent of the Mona Lisa, and would suggest that educators worldwide consider inclusion of the piece into liberal arts education programs at the post collegiate level.

Also, there is a stray dog my yard that is digging up a shrubbery, clearly a tongue in check deconstruction of Bob Fossey's book "principles of motion and stage". I'm thinking about giving him 700 million dollars over the next 5 years.

Last edited:
"It's a little bit like ... claymation in human form." -- Uhhh . . . Ok. Although I kind of prefer Nick Park, that is, claymation in clay form. :)

But actually, I find this "making of" video kind of cute. Personally, the fear of taking myself seriously when I probably shouldn't is a little debilitating, and I can admire people who don't have it.

Last edited:
Back