• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Opening Scene

Good evening all,

I am wondering if you all have any idea if there is a "rule" or a standard amount of time for the opening scene to be prior to the Title/Opening Credit Sequence? The reason why I am wondering is the initial part where I want to have the opening credits appear is pretty far along and the next logical place I could think of putting it is around page nine - is this still too far along in the story?

I know Trainspotting takes a bit of time (approximately 5 minutes) before the Title Sequence appears, but other than that I can't think of any other movies that takes this long to get there.

I'll appreciate any thoughts or advice that you can provide.

Thanks, Adam.

@CM - Good point, though I want to have credits in at some point that doesn't mess with the flow of the story and I don't want to go old school (or like in Irreversible) and show all the credits at the beginning.

@CF - I would love to direct it and am writing it with notes how I would though this is my first attempt at writing a screenplay and I'm still just trying to figure things out so I'd like to see if I were to sell it, if there is a set page number where they would go before it being thrown in the trash

Last edited:
Both are correct.

If you are writing this script to send out as a sample of your
writing or to sell then do not write in a credit sequence. If you
are going to be making this film yourself, then you can place the
credit sequence anywhere you want. There is no rule or standard.
Place it where it fits for you.

Thanks everyone - I appreciate the feedback, as I said before this is all brand new to me. It seems that I should just move my title/opening credits sequence back to my outline, though at some point before the end credits.

Back