• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Only one actress, any ideas?

So basically, I'm abroad right now in Korea and I know absolutely nobody here but, it turns out, my friend is here! In the same city as me as well! So, I'm thinking I can film but, mustering up any ideas for a story with one person is extremely difficult. If anyone has any ideas they'd like to share or offer, I'd be happy to work with it and give you full credit :D And the film is just to make and put on the net so it's non profit.

Something like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1g-mzCPMG6E

It was shot with only one actor (even though in my case I have a girl and she IS korean but we're totally american) and even though there are some rough patches in the video and some things that could have been done better; overall it's a good video. I just want something to help me get started and to help me start rolling in the story writing direction!

I hate to be the person who always states the obvious, but here goes again...how about a story about an American girl of Korean ancestry, getting dumped in Korea and trying to deal with the obvious differences between herself (an American) and her "people" (Koreans). There's a whole lot you could do with that.

Chris

Haha Idk how you could make it interesting unless you do some very cool cinematography or have a character who talks to himself. Make something like Taxi Driver! Haha I'm sorry if that did not help.

Actually, Conor that sounds very twisted! I like it! and John I haven't seen it so I'll watch Repulsion in a bit. Lord of Light, I'd love to cast myself but there's no one else to hold the camera and I couldn't bring my super tripod abroad. Those small flimsy ones cant handle a heavy xl1. And cibao, that IS an obvious one but not a bad one. I dont know why i didn't think of it!

Combine the two ideas - you know the "devil" on the left shoulder and the "angel" on the right shoulder. She debates the decisions, points-of view etc. as she struggles with heritage vs. upbringing.

Just my two ducats...

Maybe you could turn this into a comment about human conditioning and perhaps show how people in America are conditioned differently then had you been born in Korea. :/ If your into that sorta thing.

I hate to be the person who always states the obvious, but here goes again...how about a story about an American girl of Korean ancestry, getting dumped in Korea and trying to deal with the obvious differences between herself (an American) and her "people" (Koreans). There's a whole lot you could do with that.

Chris

That's what I was going to say.

Then you too get a lemon dropping. I've been spending this past whole day trying to figure out which one to go with. And honestly, they're all awesome to work with. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll definitely let people know what I decide with.

hows about a girl who eats magic mushrooms and then starts to trip she could have a phone conversation with somebody, she could be in the forest or a desert or even in her apartment. the person on the phone could be somebody who has died. and then when she stops tripping she could realize that the number that phoned her was a number not recognized, and she could freeze because she was talking to somebody who is dead.

or something like that haha

A Korean-American in Korea that is embarrassed she doesn't speak the language, so she pretends, and just nods a lot, and ends up getting into a serious or funny situation, depending on if you want drama or humor.

One of my favorite Twilight Zones episodes is called "The Invaders" and stars Agnes Moorehead as a lone woman in an otherwise empty farmhouse. She is going about her daily tasks of cooking, etc. when her home is invaded by two tiny mouse-sized aliens. If you haven't guessed the twist ending already,
she winds up being the alien and the "invaders" are actually astronauts from Earth.
But that's a classic example of a one-woman show...the aliens were done with crappy-looking props but you barely saw them anyway. Moorehead carried it herself, beautifully, for all 24 minutes. I wonder how you might adapt that kind of thing to Korea with a single Korean-American actress?

Back