Online Prop House

Recently, I have had to make a move to be closer to my family. The benefit of this is my brother who is an electronic/crafter genius.

For the last few weeks we have be talking about the needs of the independent film makers as far as props.

Bombs w/ countdown devices (with a remote to control the countdown)
also it can be expanded for example with a fluid mix system for poisonous gas expulsion (Simulated of course)
The container can be anything from a specially built device to tool boxes to brief cases.

Electric card readers

GPS devices that blink and can be attached to the cars

other electric devices that might be needed for the industry that need electronics built into them.

These are functional devices for the film that can be easily set, reset and reused.

Now here is where the cool part comes in. We are pricing these and most of this stuff can be assembled cheaply (some of them for less than $50 US).

So I decided to see if I could find an online prop maker and there are not that many and none at all, as far as this goes.

Is this because there is no need for something like this or can someone like my brother be found anywhere to be able to make these types of devices.

Let me know if I am barking up the wrong tree.

In the end, if I set up a website with these and other products I have in mind, I would like to know if there are other people in the world that could use them. Is this a viable product.

The prop master would not only find props, but manufacture them if needed. This is what he is hired for. Are you saying you can't find any prop masters? Or prop houses that deal with electronics?

I am trying to see if there is a need for products I listed above, specifically for independent film makers. At a a cost that is affordable.

Part of my post involved trying to find them online without success. So I thought there may be a need or not. That is why I am asking here to see if there was a need.

Absolutely there is a need for props like that. And anything
available to independent filmmakers at an affordable price is a
big plus. I'm with out Founder - go for it!

Sounds like a decent idea. The trick is going to be in properly marketing the site, and driving enough traffic to it to generate enough profit that the business is worth the effort.

I can't say for certain that I would use it, as I kind of lump the whole prop making thing in with my other special effects work, but it could be a good service people would use.

What you could do is sell the information. Do all the research and create a manual with diagrams and the manufacturer/distributor that sells each part. "Build this GPS tracker for $20 from parts found online," blah blah blah. Call it "Props for Pennies".

Actually you could sell each manual for a buck (or two). Each manual would be for one product only.

I can sell you one $1 million....errr I mean $1 billion dollars. (Frickin sharks and ill tempered bass not included.)

I want to get some prototypes up in the next couple of weeks. I think if I show some imaginative ideas, people will get there ideas and start requesting items. I will let you know how it goes.

Last edited:
Back