One thing I hate about film festivals.

I don't know if this is true for most film festivals but at the one in my city, each film is only shown once. That means if you can't make it cause of work, or whatever reason, you don't get to see it again. And usually they are the type of movie to never go to video, so you're only option is to illegally download it or specially order and pay a little extra money, even though you would rather see it first, before deciding to pay to own it. This year I never got to see any of the films that caught my eye cause of the one time showings. Sometimes they are at very strange times like midnight, on a work night too.

Illegally downloading is never an option, hence the "illegal" designation. Do you ever consider running out of a restaurant without paying the bill because you'll probably get away with it? Probably not.

Sometimes you just have to make time to see these films if you truly want to see them.

Oh I know it's never an option. I was just making a point, that the films don't get put out there enough, to beat the illegal downloading market. Not condoning it at all.

I’ve never actually been to a film festival. I don’t know of many here in the UK (I’m sure there’s loads!), but I’d love to go. If I was going to go, I’d see what was on, when, and plan my time accordingly. I expect I’d take the time off work. I don’t see that as a problem.

That’s what I have to do when I go to music festivals and even then, you can’t see every band. If two bands that you want to see clash, you have to pick your favourite. Time management will get you everywhere.

Consider it a performance art.

If Britney Spears comes to town you got only one night to see her make an embarrassing a$$ out of herself on stage.

Same thing.

Use your ETO/PTO/sick day/whatever to see the spectacle.

The 3 Rivers Film Fest here in Pittsburgh usually has a couple show dates for the films, though certain "event" films will play only once. A few years back they had Repo for one showing, with Darren Lynn Bousman and Terrance Zdunich in attendance for a Q&A.

Even still, I always miss films. And after I see a film, I usually want to watch it again (of course, I feel this way about most films I enjoy). It'd be neat to go to a second run-type fest; all films that have made it to dvd release, and can be purchased after the screenings at merch tables run by the creators. I'd love that, though I wonder how many other people would actually buy the films.

Illegally downloading is never an option, hence the "illegal" designation. Do you ever consider running out of a restaurant without paying the bill because you'll probably get away with it? Probably not.

Sometimes you just have to make time to see these films if you truly want to see them.
If I owned a restaurant, I wouldn't be OK with people not paying the bill.
If somebody decided to download my movie because they couldn't make it to the screening, I'd still be flattered.

Treat others as you want to be treated.

The allure of the film festival is that it represents a "special" screening of something not available anywhere else, or at least not often or near. I'm not sure how well screening the movies several times would work well. Attendance would lower at each showing.

or specially order and pay a little extra money, even though you would rather see it first, before deciding to pay to own it.

I don't know about your local film fest, but I looked into checking out some short films at the Chicago International Film Festival and even with the shorts it would have been cheaper to buy a full price DVD than get a ticket to the screening. For the price of tickets to the main event you could practically go see a Broadway show. No joke.

This year I never got to see any of the films that caught my eye cause of the one time showings. Sometimes they are at very strange times like midnight, on a work night too.

violin-student.gif
Oh come on, if it's something you really want to do, you make the time. Go to the midnight show on a work night. You're a grown-up, you can survive on less and 8 hours of sleep for one night. And if you can't, just call in sick. Are they really going to fire you for missing one day of work? No. So you have to ask yourself if getting a 'good night's sleep' is more important to you than going to the festival. And if it is then you can stop worrying about it.

If I owned a restaurant, I wouldn't be OK with people not paying the bill.
If somebody decided to download my movie because they couldn't make it to the screening, I'd still be flattered.

Treat others as you want to be treated.

I'm sorry. Does "illegal" have an asterisk next to it that I missed?

I feel Harmonica's pain. I had a press pass for the London Film Festival this year and didn't get to see a single film. BASTARDS!

The best way to attend a film festival: Take the week off, and buy a festival all-access pass.

If the festival is a good one, it's well worth the time and expense. Movie vacation!

Then I suppose your opinion on gay marriage changes with the law as you travel between countries.

Whaa?

I don't know if you're trying to pick a fight or exactly what you're trying to accomplish, but I'm not going there.

Then I suppose your opinion on gay marriage changes with the law as you travel between countries.

smiley-transparent.png

Oooh hell no you didn't...

You DIDN'T just compare ILLEGAL and PIRATED MOVIE downloading on a FILMMAKER forum, to laws on gay marrage

M hm, somebody, please tell me he didn't mean writing that..

Last edited:
Whaa?

I don't know if you're trying to pick a fight or exactly what you're trying to accomplish, but I'm not going there.
I'm not at all trying to pick a fight, I just think it's ridiculous to think something is morally wrong just because it's illegal.

But I realize this probably isn't the right thread for this discussion. Sorry.

Back