• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

one more

i may have already asked this but here i go............
i was listening to some old mix cd's and i heard a song from the mid 90's(when i was a freshman like 97) and all of sudden my brain went into over drive as i imagined a shortfilm or feature......... can i use the idea from the song and title it the same or do i have to track down the group that did the song?

ussinners is right.

The idea cannot be copyrighted. Your version of the
idea will be different in execution. But you cannot
use any lyrics, melody or the song without permission.
I would be very cautious using the idea/plot of the
song in addition to the title. A title can't be copyrighted
either, but putting the two together may cause problems.

Curious side bar..

If you said right up front in the credits.. "story inspired by the song "ABC" by "The Jackson Five." However in your movie you make any direct use of the song, or the artists, nothin..

Do you need permission from anybody? My gut says "no," buy my gut says "yes" to 7-11 chili dogs, so I don't really trust it..

I don’t quite understand, wheat.

If you weren’t going to make any direct use of the song or the
artist but were using the idea of the songs story, why would you
want, up front, in the credits, to draw attention to it?

I might be misunderstanding your side bar.

sorry, Rick.. thats my style.. lol...

If you really felt inspired by a song, and you wanted to express that gratitude. Or for the 100,000 reasons I cant think of why some one would do that..

I'm having the same thing going for me right now. Except it's inspired by a System of a Down song called "Johnny." The only real similarities to the song is the two names Johnny and Roger and the catchphrase "Hello, my name is Johnny", which is part of the song.

Don't know how legal that is, but to me it's more of a gray area. If worst comes to worst I'll drop the catchphrase.

Back