• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

On Vacation... Got an opportunity.... No laptop Edit with!

Has this happened to anyone else here?

Youre on vacation, bring your nice DSLR camera with you. You bump into someone or a group of people that could be amazing to film (artist wants to make a music video with you, or in my case a samurai troupe wants me to film a cinematic sword fight.)

But then I realize, the laptop / computer I have here cannot handle FCP or Adobe Premiere. If I had a friend out here with editing equipment thatd be a different story. What did you guys do when this happened?

I would love to film them and it's something Ive always wanted to film (sword fight scene.) But how could I edit it, without a computer capable of running most editing software?

Film it & edit it when you get back home again? :hmm:

There's no reason why you should have to drop your vacation to immediately please some band or group that wants to get a free video out of you. Shoot what you wanna shoot; email them the finished vid after you've enjoyed the rest of your holiday.

I really do wanna shoot them. Maybe even more than they want me to haha.

I guess if I filmed them on the last week of vacation, I could go home and edit.

Why last ? What's the rush in editing so soon after filming ?

The main issue for me would be the "filming". I don't go on vacation with tripod, shoulder rig, reflector and a bunch, sound recording devices or other useful stuff. I just pack my Glidecam just in case.

This is exactly what we did with "The Long Road Out Of Town"
I showed up in Vegas on a biz trip. Scopicman, his wife and and another actress and I drove out to the desert and I shot footage. A year later I delivered a short film... Once its in the can, you should take a break anyway. Gets some distance from the "day"

On a trip to Tel Aviv I did something similar, but I just copied the footage to the directors laptop at the end of the day and he took over.. not sure anything ever came of the footage, but it was a good day anyway. I have my own copy of the footage anyway..

Thanks, I guess getting it to them immediately isnt a big problem. I might not be my editing equipment for a month or two. I can give them the footage immediately if they want to edit their own.

Also can you put up an ad on craigslist or mandy.com for Editor? Basically saying they can edit it, put it on their reel, keep all the footage. Is that realistic to ask?

Back