Occupy Wall Street

I am surprise that I have not seen a thread about this.

Maybe I'm just blind.

Is it too political for the forums? Not really looking to start any political debating.

Just haven't seen a thread about it.

Feel free to discuss.

Yes, this is much too political. We're here to discuss filmmaking, and filmmaking only. IndieTalk is a wonderful combination of professionals, hard-working up-and-comers, serious hobbyists and newbies that manages to be supportive and civil. Politics immediately introduces a divisive element that would be most unwelcome.

If you want to talk politics there are hundreds of thousands of websites where you can do so.

And yes, the intelligence and courtesy here on IT invites me to start political discussions here as well, but I resist the temptation.

Last edited:
If there's a film about it, fine.

If it's text, yeah, political forms are better.

If there's a film about it, fine.

If it's text, yeah, political forms are better.

Look, I'm just saying, I posted it in the Off-Topic discussion section. It is off-topic. Not trying to be rude, but I feel like your making it sound that even the OT section has to be about film.

uncle-sam.jpg

I want YOU to pull my finger.

Ok, I apologize for not reading that earlier.

Was more looking to just hear some discussion about it from the eyes of the film community.
I cannot think of how this movment relates to film or the film community.
I could (but will not) offer my thoughts as an American but I can't think of
a thing to discuss from the perspective of a filmmaker.

You're a member of the film community. You start.

From the film-making perspective, I think the "We are the 99%" site is more interesting:

http://wearethe99percent.tumblr.com/

You have all those people posting a picture of themselves with a piece of paper telling their stories. Indie film-makers could help them make a video version of it. It could be just some 1 mn shorts. It would be a good pretext to show some inventiveness in presenting those people and their situations.

Not discussing politics now is like talking about music while the Titanic is sinking.

Of course the protests are related to filmmaking! Indirectly, but still related.

I do agree with much of the prior sentiment in this thread, that this is too political to really discuss. So, I'll leave my personal political leanings out of my next statement, though I'm sure the regulars can guess where I stand.

How many films do you see coming out of Indonesia? Mexico? Brazil? Those are really large, very populace nations. Lots of people. Lots of people should equal lots of movies being made, right? Problem is -- they don't really have much of a middle-class to speak of.

The strength of America has always been it's middle-class, and that is something that I think educated Republicans, Democrats and Independents can all agree on. Kill the middle-class, and you kill filmmaking.

I'm highly active with Occupy LA, and there is definitely a film-making angle.

There have been a number of short films that have appeared on YouTube from a bunch of filmmakers who have been coming by here every day to shoot their own impressions, footage, etc. Some come out really nicely, some are designed with specific goals in mind (slamming or supporting the movement), some aren't coherent or extremely interesting...

Wonder if, at the end of whatever the Occupy thing turns out to be, if you could assemble ALL the raw footage from all the cameras that have shot, somehow, to make a comprehensive film record of a political movement in its infancy to...whatever...?

gelder

I actually work in the area, about two blocks away and pass Zucotti park almost every lunch(caught a woman protesting naked hoping for another someday). I have to say from a film making POV there aren't many people documenting the movement other than whats on the general social media sites. I think there is a lot of potential for a good documentary or even a narrative movie.

I second Gelder's idea, I think it'd be the first since the civil rights docs from the 60s.

I've been thinking as part of the younger generation that there hasn't been much of our "own thing". I think each previous generation had their own world changing event and I hope this is ours.

I feel bad that the cold is coming in soon, but I guess that's an....occupational hazard? hahahahahah

Back