Not receiving IMDB/Site credit for a movie I worked on

Not receiving IMDb/Site credit for a movie I worked on

A couple of years ago I composed the score for a movie. At the end of last year, the movie was added to IMDb and in the beginning of this year the movie launched its website. I received credit in the movie, but not on IMDb or the site. I tried contacting the filmmakers and keep getting told they haven't gotten around to it and it will be added eventually.

My question is, is it common to omit or give such low importance to the music credit? And, at what point do you consider taking further action, if any, and what action can be taken?

I did leave off on bad terms with one of the filmmakers, so I wonder if that is a factor. Also, I was told the process of adding someone on IMDb was very time-consuming. I don't know if that's true or not.

Last edited:
Do you have a contract? If yes, you can press them to the extent of your persuasion (or finances if you want to get an attorney and you feel that it's worth the time/effort/money). If not, there's not much you can do.

You can add yourself to the project. I think you may have to be a member of IMDB Pro. I've worked freelance the last 15 years as a location sound mixer and can't tell you how many IMDB listings I've been left off of.

You can add yourself, and no, you don't have to be IMDb Pro.

If you signed a contract, then even if you left on bad terms, they can't deny you a listing. If you can't seem to get your name on, contact IMDb, and explain the situation--make sure you have some supporting facts...like...a clip of the credits with you name, etc...something.

I will say this...IMDb can be a bitch, especially if you have to contact an actual person...it can take forever, and you may find yourself bouncing back and forth in emails--each of which takes weeks to receive.

Maybe you're like me and IMDb simply doesn't like you. I've tried several times to get my own films added to the site. They don't even bother telling me I've been rejected or give me any reason. Other films I've worked on, my name is omitted from the credits.

Just this week a documentary was added in which I was one of the featured interviewees. Everybody else was listed, but not me. I contacted the producer and he swears he included my name when he submitted the info, but IMDb deleted it. He's going to re-submit. We shall see.

I've said it before: f**k IMDb! :mad:

Maybe you're like me and IMDb simply doesn't like you. I've tried several times to get my own films added to the site. They don't even bother telling me I've been rejected or give me any reason. Other films I've worked on, my name is omitted from the credits.

Just this week a documentary was added in which I was one of the featured interviewees. Everybody else was listed, but not me. I contacted the producer and he swears he included my name when he submitted the info, but IMDb deleted it. He's going to re-submit. We shall see.

What a bummer! I'd be paranoid that it's a personal vendetta, too.

Have you ever been a member of the communist party? That would explain a lot....

Yup. It's happened to me before. Where it's so obvious a film has been made and premiered and is on a website for sale...and every email they sent back (each taking a week) gave another reason why it won't be listed.

I sweared for a while there they had a blacklist.

:)

@Dready -- never been a member of any subversive organization to my knowledge...unless you count the Cub Scouts. ;)

Yup. It's happened to me before. Where it's so obvious a film has been made and premiered and is on a website for sale...and every email they sent back (each taking a week) gave another reason why it won't be listed.

At least they sent you a follow-up e-mail. I've never even gotten that -- not once! Just an acknowledgment that the info was received and under review, then nothing more. No reasons given, it was just never added. Multiple times.

Blacklist? That's no joke, man! I'm seriously thinking about driving up to Seattle and leaving a burning bag of dog poo on their front porch. :weird:

Is your name something like "Fucker McShit" or "Child Molester"? That's bizarre, man, what on earth would cause them to go out of their way to remove you from things?

what on earth would cause them to go out of their way to remove you from things?

There are some really petty people out there. Sad, but true.

There's one particular film I was in, where the several producers had a falling out with each other shortly after filming started. It's been 5 years since then, but I still get removed 'cos of my association with some of them. I don't even bother adding my name, tbh. It just finds its way up there whenever the ex-producers want to antagonise each other by playing silly buggers with the IMDB listing.

Just don't sweat it. Being on IMDB ain't as sexah (or mandatory) as it sounds. You're far better off with an actual reel. Seriously, who needs the stress?

Us Sinners was shot and being edited, and they wouldn't post it. I was already listed as editor for the movie Hood Politics. It wasn't till it had it's first showing that they decided it was good to go.

I have friends whose movies will never be made, yet they're up as pre-production.

IMDB has a strange method of posting. It's hit or miss. Keep writing them till they at least send you a response. Then you'll know what your next step should be.

Us Sinners was shot and being edited, and they wouldn't post it. I was already listed as editor for the movie Hood Politics. It wasn't till it had it's first showing that they decided it was good to go.

I have friends whose movies will never be made, yet they're up as pre-production.

IMDB has a strange method of posting. It's hit or miss. Keep writing them till they at least send you a response. Then you'll know what your next step should be.

My last feature premiered in 1999. It had an international non-theatrical deal with a New York distributor, opened a festival and has been available for purchase online for more than 10 years now. I spent half a day filling out IMDb's myriad info screens, all for naught.

I tried submitting my current feature, which includes cast members who already have several IMDb feature credits. Same thing. No response, no posting. Zilch.

Yet the amateur p.o.s. I worked on briefly that I discussed in my other post that has no distribution deal, no established names and no festival screenings has a full listing (minus my name, of course).

The director of the documentary in which I'm featured is baffled. He double-checked and confirmed that my name was definitely submitted along with everyone else's - some of whom have no other credits and are not even in the movie biz - but my name was the only one excluded from the listing.

It'd be nice to just blow it off and say it doesn't matter, but - rightly or wrongly - that is where most people go to check your credits. If you're not there you obviously don't matter.

Back