Noob here.

Hi everyone. Noob here. I'm happy to have found this place. I make a living in the film business. Television actually (I hope that's not a bad word here). Anyway, I've been looking for a place to chat about the work I love and I hope I've found it here and, I hope to contibute. Perhaps I'll work on a Premier Pro membership in the future. We'll see how it goes.

Hello, Mr Martini!

How could anyone with such a drinkable name not be welcome here? :beer:

Nothing wrong with television, that's for sure. If you're the type that brings the more original material to it, the merrier. (And extra kudos if you are working on bringing more children's programming there)

In a lot of ways, we're all noobs here. There is always something to learn... and there is a wide spectrum of people here, from talentless hacks (such as myself) to industry-level.

We talk, we chit-chat, we share what we know... and learn from each other. :cool:

Not a bad word at all. So what do you do I'm a Director for an NBC affiliate in Las Vegas. And I have this show I'm trying to get going VegasIndiesTv. Well you have come to the right place for TV/Film Talk. Welcome.

Welcome, (If u point a camera at something, or associated with camera pointers, you are at the right place) and enjoy!

Hey gang, thanks for the welcomes. I'm an freelance director/producer. I work on mostly Canadian shows across the county although I have a few smaller American shows credited.

its all about profit and advertising in the end

What isn't in this day and age? If it isn't about profit and advertising then its about getting to a place where it can be about profit and advertising.

But hey mouths to feed and bills to pay right.... ya gotta do what ya gotta do.....

Damn I sure am cynical before :coffee:.... ok coffee doesn't help.....:tongue:

Glad to have you here Mr. Martini, I am sure your experience will be invaluable to us know nothings.

:welcome:

:yes: hello and welcome martini, im a newbie too! would love 2 be where ur at now, am applying to do a post graduate at simon fraser in film directing next year, feel the need to vacate my highlands home!

i understand that just about everything today is about profit, but i think film as an artform should be used creatively and should not have to come down to profit in the end.

i think you might be mixing confusing profit for financial gain. whilst all financial gain is profit, not all profit is financial gain. we only do things for profit - whether we profit in terms of money or feeling recognised or feeling self-aggrandisment. my point - the curse of the contemporary rational human - to do things only when they are to recieve some form of good in return (perhaps not money). whatever happened to the man with red cheeks?

Nique Zoolio said:
i think you might be mixing confusing profit for financial gain. whilst all financial gain is profit, not all profit is financial gain. we only do things for profit - whether we profit in terms of money or feeling recognised or feeling self-aggrandisment. my point - the curse of the contemporary rational human - to do things only when they are to recieve some form of good in return (perhaps not money). whatever happened to the man with red cheeks?

aha :)

I would agree that in most cases I am indeed confused however in this case the phrase used was "profit and advertising" profit was not confused for financial gain it was most definatly used to mean financial gain. Isn't language fun. Now if only I had a better handle on its use. ;)

I have no beef with the fact that all action is motivated by gain. I agree with the idea that even the most altruistic act is one that is selfishly motivated. If I volunteer at the local soup kitchen then I will help people who are in need of help and I will get to feel good about myself. My beef is when "I will get to feel good about myslef" turns into "I will get PAID" Pretty soon we have a society that can only feel good about itself when it is in the process of amassing wealth.

However back to television. While I can not disagree that for the most part what is produced for television is mearly a vehical for selling something, there are gems to be found. And in this day and age of DVD those gems can be experienced with out the pesky interuption of commercials. The first season of 24 is a great example of how television can be great story telling and cinematic. I am sure that there are those here who could come up with quite a few examples of TV series that are able to walk that fine line between the artistic and the profitable( of the financial variety.)

PS the "man with the red cheeks" you do mean santa right??? It seems my moment of clarity has passed and I have returned to my natural state of confusion. Or it could be that still haven't had any damn coffee :lol:

Last edited:
I want to start by saying that I don’t take offence to anything anyone is saying here.

I suppose that my motives for attaching myself to TV could be confused as something I've chosen for the sake of getting paid (profit is, as stated a different term in this example) But my motivation is, and always has been driven by a desire to make great material. If I was ever to make the perfect TV show I might as well quit. There would be very little, or nothing, left for me to do in this business.

My work is not weighed in the value of my pay stub, but rather in my ability to tell a story the way it should be told. The fact that I get paid for it means two things to me. 1) I can make a living doing what I love, 2) I get the rare opportunity to do it more often. Number 2 affords me the chance to improve my craft. (read: If I was ever to make the perfect TV show…etc.)

The thing that has made me marketable (as a director) to producers is what I bring to the table creatively. There are plenty of directors who could do it faster than me, and I've worked with some of them. The thing that makes me marketable (as a producer) to producers is derived from exactly the same skill set. I have had debates many times with Exec- producers and PM's, that is, my objective is not to bring the project in for the least amount of money, but rather, how do I cause that money to be spent in the best possible way.

Of course I can only speak for the Canadian perspective but outside of the post TV market sales, producers fees are generally capped here. And outside of the acceptable charge backs in certain line items the incentive is more or less about getting the money on the screen and not in the producers pockets. Of course this does not ignore the fact that profit is a desired outcome for Canadian TV producers ie: compact devices, foreign sales, music compilations etc. but that end of things is always a crap shoot. If I'm included in those proceeds then it's a bonus, but more often than not, that is not the case.

I would agree that in most cases I am indeed confused however in this case the phrase used was "profit and advertising" profit was not confused for financial gain it was most definatly used to mean financial gain. Isn't language fun. Now if only I had a better handle on its use. ;)

mikey D - i was referring to lux, not you.

My beef is when "I will get to feel good about myslef" turns into "I will get PAID" Pretty soon we have a society that can only feel good about itself when it is in the process of amassing wealth.

we are at the same beef.

PS the "man with the red cheeks" you do mean santa right???

i have no idea. :rolleyes: i just lost myself i think. maybe i did on a subconscious level. if that helps ;)

WHERES THE BEEF!!!

:blush:sorry... couldn't help myself... I finnally got that coffee.... :blush:

Mr. Martini-

I am glad to here that you haven't taken offence at what has been said, I don't believe anyone here meant offense to be had. I for one just speak cause I like the sound of my own voice ;) I am also glad to hear that there are some in TV who respect the art form and wish to bring to it a sense of quality that can do this powerful medium justice.

The last thing I have to say on this topic and then I am going to go work on my crossword puzzle is this: when it comes to lack of quality and drive for profit I see no real differance between TV and Film. I am sure I don't need to point out to this crowd what I mean. We all have seen some real crappy films. We have all had to sit through painful soda and car commericials before the feature presentation. Perhaps the medium and delivery system of TV is better exploited by the profit mongers or maybe they are just less subtle in TV land.

Anyway off to that puzzle I go.

Back