NON sexualized female lead movies

Don't forget that Thurman was involved in the actual development of the KB movies, so notwithstanding QT's obvious fetishism aspects (the lingering shots of her huge feet being the most obvious, IMO), it doesn't quite fit that the perspective is 100% geeky male. A lot of it is, but something else came through in them. I know a lot of women who liked them very much (in fact some of the positive press reviews of the time were credited to women -- as I would tend to notice) (okay, there may have been a couple of pseudonyms involved).

Feminism 101: there isn't an actual opposition to sexual attraction (unless very hardline radfem) so much as using that to objectify women as passive, purely sexual objects that defer entirely to male dominance. This is a whole other argument. If QT gets off on strong women, fine -- there are worse fixations a man can have. What about the sexualised male? Well, it exists, and plentifully, but it usually does not involve weakness and passivity. KB's a more equitable representation for sure. And I mean the main character in particular; there's other imagery in the film that's more troublesome, no doubt.

Here's a funny thing. I wrote a script that involved a character based on Uma Thurman back in 1998. A kick-ass character. Guess I thought of it first. Even funnier is that the plot was almost identical to My Super Ex-Girlfriend. Only better. (I'm biased.) Except... except... yeah, I did have her wearing grubby old sweatpants in the action scenes! No, seriously. It seemed an obvious thing to do. I never did anything with it. It would look like a half-assed bit of plagiarism now.

I wonder how audiences would feel if the tables were turned on men: Female characters just spent all their effort trying to land a wealthy guy just for his money.

No dough = no go, no value whatsoever.

F#ck sensitive and thoughtful. Pfft.

"Man-b!tch, you ain't nothing but Rumpelstiltskin to me."
hood%2Brat.jpg

"Marriage? Never.
Kids? Maybe with surrogates. WITH NANNIES!
Mamma wants to parrrrtay!
golddigger.jpg

But not with YOU."

I mean just have about the next three decades be nothing but unrelenting wealthisized men as MacGuffins - and the women that aggressively pursue them.
Gold digger becomes a compliment to the savvy woman. :lol:

I mean just have about the next three decades be nothing but unrelenting wealthisized men as MacGuffins - and the women that aggressively pursue them.
Gold digger becomes a compliment to the savvy woman. :lol:

Sex and the City called to say hello from "Hey we thought you had a good idea" street.

See also: Any TV show with the word "Housewives" or the name of some coastal part of the U.S. in the title.

Gonzo I love you

I have a question: When a guy loses his shirt and he's ripped, does he become sexualized?

I have a question: When a guy loses his shirt and he's ripped, does he become sexualized?

Absolutely.

Every time you see a ripped man onscreen, that torso is there, either to appeal to the female demographic, or to pry on the innate homoerotic urges of the modern audience.

Absolutely.

Every time you see a ripped man onscreen, that torso is there, either to appeal to the female demographic, or to pry on the innate homoerotic urges of the modern audience.

Like Men's Health magazine.

mens-1.jpg

But not me, I'm totally straight. Hey, did anybody catch that football game?

I think Nick brings up some good points, which lead me back to a conclusion that I had a long time ago...

You really can't do anything with a female lead and not get criticized for misrepresenting women in some form or fashion. Not even a female director can do it.

Maybe if you only write narratives about women being women, straight dramas. Even BRIDESMAIDS, as wildly popular as it was with women, portrays a lot of the same things that people find to be negatives in other content.

Oh well.

I don't know how we missed this one -- Katniss Everdeen! Although Jennifer Lawrence is ridiculously hot, and there is a brief romance scene, this character is definitely not sexualized.

I don't know how we missed this one -- Katniss Everdeen! Although Jennifer Lawrence is ridiculously hot, and there is a brief romance scene, this character is definitely not sexualized.

I think that movie also makes quite a sophisticated point about the crass sexualisation of the female contestants in the hunger games...

Good movie, I liked it.

Absolutely.

I'd argue for both sides that an attractive woman will still sell better to women than unattractive, and same goes for guys. Everyone is influenced most by who they want to be, or rather who they want to identify with, and most guys would at one level or another to look ripped. It's why they have 14 year olds playing with toys in commercials aimed at 10 year olds.

Back