Noah 2014

I saw the movie the other day and was OK until the rocks started roaming around and talking. Just a little too SCIFI for my taste for a biblical movie. It did sort of explain how a few people built a wooden Titanic in a few years. Was the movie entertaining? Yep. Was Crowe good? Yes. Would I pay to see it again? No.

I saw the movie the other day and was OK until the rocks started roaming around and talking. Just a little too SCIFI for my taste for a biblical movie. It did sort of explain how a few people built a wooden Titanic in a few years. Was the movie entertaining? Yep. Was Crowe good? Yes. Would I pay to see it again? No.

What do talking rocks have to do with sci fi?
were they robotic rocks ?

Haha yes I've seen both Requiem For A Dream and Black Swan. I think they're both good films but I wouldn't put them among the greatest of all-time. If we limit ourselves to contemporary American films then I think they'd be on a list of the best ones (but even then I wouldn't place them in the top 10), but to me his films are too stylistically immature which often comes from imitating other superior filmmakers (see anime director Satoshi Kon) or being too eager to use 'experimental' techniques. He also seems overly serious about his work, I think almost every film that aspires to be artistic should also have a lighter side with a sense of humor lol. I think Aronofsky has the potential to make a masterpiece, but I don't think he's made it yet and I hope he does. I still haven't seen his whole filmography yet though, so this is somewhat of a temporary evaluation (though I doubt I'll change my mind).

I saw it in theaters with my gf. She didn't like, and I didn't dislike it at all, but not sure if I liked it either. It's a really difficult movie to assess. Like most Darren Aronofsky movies, it's a real "WTF movie", I guess you could call it, and like most of his movies, I do not know how to feel about them. Although this is his least best I have seen in some ways possibly. But yeah, that's all I can say about it now, and would need repeated viewings to take in everything on this type of film.

The movie had the no win struggle of drawing a line and taking a direction between historical fact and scripture ignorance by the original authors of the scriptures.

For instance, how did Cain and Seth populate the Earth after Adam and Eve?

The movie had the no win struggle of drawing a line and taking a direction between historical fact and scripture ignorance by the original authors of the scriptures.

For instance, how did Cain and Seth populate the Earth after Adam and Eve?

The Bible is a tricky thing so I don't think it's very useful to just make arguments like that. Many Christians (myself included) do not take most of Genesis as literal, rather it is more of an allegorical poem. Many other more conservative Christians believe that incest was not a sin for early man so incest was the method for the re-production in the early days. Either way, Scriptures clearly state that Adam and Eve had more sons and daughter besides Cain and Seth, so if we were to believe in the incest theory we could back it up. I still think that Genesis is meant to be a more allegorical reading of creation rather than a literal historical account, simply because I take into account the target audience of the story. Even though God knew everything, He was revealing truths to people who were not capable of understanding everything factually, so many Biblical passages are meant to teach essential truths rather than scientific facts.

That's just my opinion, but yeah I think before tossing aside all Scripture and religion one most consider just how many people have had their lived changed through spiritual expressions. Many of these people include great scientists, philosophers, artists, leaders, and so on. So even from a detached view of religion, I find it interesting to understand how faith influences humanity. Although lol, I hope to keep this discussion more about the movie and not religion lol.

What did you think of the film's artistic merits? Was it really good? How does it compare with Aronofsky's other work? I'm interested in hearing these opinions as well!

The costumes are too well tailored for the time period of the film.

The rock creatures, I guess are angels trapped on Earth.

The beliefs of Lemuria would make a better story of our origins than the material this movie is based on.

There are also three versions to the Book of Genesis as well. The filmmakers would have done better bringing in ideas from all three to be more universal with more religions.

The acting, directing, photography, and sets were good.

There script and special effects are below par for a studio production.

The costumes are too well tailored for the time period of the film.

The rock creatures, I guess are angels trapped on Earth.

The beliefs of Lemuria would make a better story of our origins than the material this movie is based on.

There are also three versions to the Book of Genesis as well. The filmmakers would have done better bringing in ideas from all three to be more universal with more religions.

The acting, directing, photography, and sets were good.

There script and special effects are below par for a studio production.

Cool, sounds interesting! I hope I can watch it sometime soon. I agree that it's best to be more universal in religious story interpretation for this kind of film. Although I'll watch this film I doubt it'll change my opinion of Darren Aronofsky too much.

I think one day, the belief of Lemuria that the very first humans were Hermaphrodites for the first several generations before changes to the environment caused a new generation to pair off into two sexes may have some merit. This is their Garden of Eden belief.

If you are familiar with the royal family of the pharaohs history, they believed in keeping royal blood "Pure." They accomplished this with incest. King Tut, the boy king at fourteen, needed a walking stick because of birth defects. His parents were brother and sister.

The "sons of God" where angels mated with human women to create nephilims is very similar to the version of Genesis where Lilith left Adam to mate with Satan and gave birth to demon children who became the first vampires who are actually dream demons and Lilith became the queen of hell.

http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles/aid/v2/n1/who-were-the-nephilim

Showing nephilims in Noah would have made more sense than those rock angels.

Back