• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

No sound and no cord

I hope everyone doesn't hate me yet.:blush: Quick questions/

I have a Sony Camcorder (yeah, it's mega old) TVR-68. In the short film I'm planning, I only need a few sounds, which is basically the sound of wind and the sound of a truck coming, so I wanted to "delete" the sound out of the original video, record the needed sound and dub it into the film, just because I think it would work better.

How do I do this? How do I omit the sound off my camcorder, so when I upload the clip to my computer, there is no sound? Is this even possible?

Please and thank you. I've been thinking of millions of ways, and none of them really work, or I need loads of supplies, and we're having bunches of problems with cars right at this moment, so getting ANYTHING under 10 bucks is out of the question right around now.

As for the second problem: Since the camcorder I'm using is rather old, the cord is now lost and I need the cord to transfer the videos to my computer for editing. However, I have no cord. Is there any other alternative I could do to put the videos from my camcorder to my computer? I know this sounds nearly impossible, but I was just wondering if there's an alternative, until I can go out and buy my cord, which will take, well, forever. If there's a technique I can do that's under 5 bucks or under, that works, too.

Last edited:
There is no need to load the clip onto your computer with no audio.
You load both the audio and video into your computer and then use
your editing software to remove the original audio and replace it with
what ever audio you want. It's very, very easy.

I know of no way to transfer video from a camera to a computer
without using a cable or cord of some kind.

Yes, very easy. In Premiere, you just unlink the audio from the video and delete the audio, replacing it with whatever. That, or just Hyperlink it into Audition and replace / remix 'til your heart's content. I was recently capturing and digitizing some VHS tapes of drag racing for some friends, and one of the clips had completely trashed audio (strong wind in the mic). I just replaced the audio with a clip from a different drag race. No one noticed that the Trans Am sounded like a Mustang. :lol:

A rule of thumb is never delete anything. You can replace things, but never delete the original, you may need it, or part of it. And yes you need a cable, mental telepathy does not work ;)

A rule of thumb is never delete anything. You can replace things, but never delete the original, you may need it, or part of it. And yes you need a cable, mental telepathy does not work ;)

You're not deleting the original unless you save it over the original. It's just removed from the clip in the project timeline.

If you can find someone who has any kind of D8 (digital 8mm rather than the Hi8 that you have) you can do a normal firewire capture of your hi8 footage, otherwise you'll need some kind of video capture card (a tv tuner card would work if it has a composite video jack)... as for the cable, you can probably use a standard 8mm to RCA cable, as I recall most of these cameras output video and mono audio, so a regular audio 8mm to RCA cable would work in that regard, I believe the right (red) RCA plug would be the video and left (white or black) would be the audio.

In your timeline, just make new audio tracks and insert your desired sound into the new tracks, and cut out the undesirable sound out of the existing tracks (very easy in Avid, which is what I use).

Also, you can always find sounds like wind and trucks in sound effect libraries. Just download the effect in import it into your NLE program. Check out these open source sites for free sound effects:

http://www.freesound.org/
http://www.soundsnap.com/browse

Not sure if this one is a pay site or free, but I know it's a favorite of a freelance radio drama producer I know:
http://www.sounddogs.com/catsearch.asp?Type=1

you'll need a cable of some description unfortunately

lots of sound effects can be found on sites like mentioned above, I usually record naturally with my camera just for the sound effect, get it on my comp and isolate the sound in adobe audition (theres some tutorials on the net how to remove hiss, and in turn remove any background frequency you want), save it as a wav file, import into premiere and place it where i need it.

Back