• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Nicholl Fellowship

Today is the early bird deadline for this year's Nicholl Fellowship. Is anyone else entering?

This will be my first time entering. I'm entering a script I plan to direct and/or produce myself that I've been working on since December 2010.

From everything I've read, even ranking in the quarterfinals in the Nicholl can open a lot of doors in the industry. If I can get at least that far, then that gives me an additional tool to use when I start looking for funds and talent. It sounds a lot better asking a name actor (or DP, or anyone else) if they'll work cheap in your Nicholl-quarter/semi-finalist film than "just another indie film". Or telling someone who's considering investing that you did well in an industry-leading contest with the same script. And hey, if someone comes along and wants to produce and just let me direct, then I'm all for that! :cool:

So, anyone else entering? Entered in the past?

I just finished the application. Thanks for the reminder!

Rok

Totally worth entering early since it's $35 as opposed to $52 for regular entry. I already had the script basically finished a couple weeks ago, so just went through it one more time before submitting to check for typos. For those who want to enter under the early bird deadline, there's still a few hours left. Otherwise, the main entry period ends in early May, I think.

It's all good, unless they send me a ribbon for coming in 6731st place :no:

If they do, I'll mail you a black marker so you can scratch out the six, seven & three.
smiley_hug.gif

Yes, it's the most prestigious SP writing comp around. 1/4 finalists do get some attention, the odds are tough however. 6,000 scripts (approx) every year. But stay positive, a lot of the scripts suck.

If you don't make the cut, don't fret, I know people with multiple rejections that got agents and deals in Hollywood and I know Nicholl Fellows that were one hit wonders.

I've entered two scripts myself. Both of which have gotten good reviews on triggerstreet.com, so who knows. $35 to possible start your career is pretty good value. Also, this year they're gonna have two readers per script. Yes, competition is tough with the volume of entries, but like it was said earlier, with the cheap admission, 90% of the entries will not be very good. Good luck everyone who entered this year!

A prerequisite of winning is an acceptance of losing.

I come a background in bicycle racing where I've both placed 1st as well as 150th+. So, 6731st isn't much of a leap ;)

There have been situations where victory seemed certain, only for me to blow it in a critical moment. But, the opposite also stands true. In one case, I had given up on a long climb and drifted back from the 7 remaining riders in the lead group. I simply had it, was cramping and I sat up. My friend saw this, deliberately stopped pedaling and came back to me. The other riders were incredulous at his actions (myself as well). My friend and gave me a pretty loud dressing-down, and then we both rode made our way back up to the leaders. Two hours later we were standing on the podium in 1st & 2nd place.

Rok

Great story, Rok! Best of luck to all those entering. And to those who are too young, look at it this way: that's more time to revise the script you wanted to enter! If you thought it could win this year, think how much better it will be after you've spent more time with it!

Back