• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Newbie Editing Setup Suggestions.

Basically my question is this: What type of gear should I get for editing my short films, films, and videos? Currently I only have a Macbook Pro with the Adobe Suite, Final Cut Pro X, and Motion. My question is should I stay with Apple and get a Mac tower for editing or should I look at going to PC and the Avid Suite.

Also what type of setup for storage would be suggested? I was thinking of going with an 8 TB Raid 1 server to start out with.

Dude work with what you have and figure out how much you need. No need to spend tons of money and THEN figure out what you need. Wrong order.

A macbook pro along with final cut pro and motion and adobe suite is enough. After Effects is generally more powerful than Motion but Motion is easier to learn and fast for less complex projects.

Try both final cut pro and adobe premiere pro and figure out which works best for you.

RAID drives are supposed to be great for editors but all I use are some Western digital one's. A hell of a lot cheaper and it works for me.

And are you going to be editing your own sound? If so a decent audio interface and some quality speakers are called for, as well as setting up the speakers properly and doing a little sound treatment.

Oh you 'only' have a Macbook with FCP X, Motion and the Adobe Suite. I am sure you bought it as well!

Actually Kid it was part of my Full Sail Package. Mommy and daddy don't buy me expensive toys like yours. I seem to remember a week ago or so you were crying about leaving this forum because you didnt want to be part of a thread that was trolling something, yet here you are trolling. Maybe you should have just left? And before you try to say mommy and daddy paid for my school, no they didn't. My country did. I am a disabled Veteran of the United States Navy. Good Day.

Last edited:
And are you going to be editing your own sound? If so a decent audio interface and some quality speakers are called for, as well as setting up the speakers properly and doing a little sound treatment.

That is a valid point. I still have not figured out if I am going to do my own sounds or if I am going to have them done outside of house. I am not good at composing so I will already have to outsource my music requirements.

Actually Kid it was part of my Full Sail Package. Mommy and daddy don't buy me expensive toys like yours. I seem to remember a week ago or so you were crying about leaving this forum because you didnt want to be part of a thread that was trolling something, yet here you are trolling. Maybe you should have just left? And before you try to say mommy and daddy paid for my school, no they didn't. My country did. I am a disabled Veteran of the United States Navy. Good Day.

Ouch I'm sorry man! Really am! You have to admit, that about 90% of these posts are made by 13 year olds, who pirated software and are asking for more.. That's just how it is! Sorry to have offended you...

Oh, but in my defence, my parent's haven't bought a single piece of my kit! NOTHING! It's all self-earned money.

Sorry again!

Oh, and the new Adobe CS6 collection is nice!

wow. For a so called veteran you sure are immature talking back to a 16 year old. Good job man. :hmm:

Grow up.

Ouch I'm sorry man! Really am! You have to admit, that about 90% of these posts are made by 13 year olds, who pirated software and are asking for more.. That's just how it is! Sorry to have offended you...

Oh, but in my defence, my parent's haven't bought a single piece of my kit! NOTHING! It's all self-earned money.

Sorry again!

Oh, and the new Adobe CS6 collection is nice!

It is fine Phil. I said my piece and I moved on. I'm not going to get into a word war. I started this thread to ask about building my editing studio not to fight with people.

As for Adobe CS6 the school is offering an upgrade for like $50 or less but I haven't decided if I am getting it yet or not. I am odd I like Final Cut Pro X better then Adobe Premiere. But then again I never used FCP 7.

Back on topic. Should 8 TB be more then enough to get started in a raid storage device or should I look at more?

4TB via Firewire.

2 x 2TB G-Tech Raid
Imac 27" I7 3.4 GHz, 16GB's of Ram with Thunderbolt (Thunderbolt drives sadly to expensive :( )

I am getting good performances from the Raids and happily editing my FS100 footage directly from the drives in FCP X. (Through Firewire 800)

4TB via Firewire.

2 x 2TB G-Tech Raid
Imac 27" I7 3.4 GHz, 16GB's of Ram with Thunderbolt (Thunderbolt drives sadly to expensive :( )

I am getting good performances from the Raids and happily editing my FS100 footage directly from the drives in FCP X. (Through Firewire 800)

Nice! Thats the kind of information I am looking for. I am still not sure if Firewire or Gigabit are faster though as I have never used Firewire.

As far as I know, they are quite similar performance wise. I never think that my drives with Firewire 800 are too slow. They're just fine in my opinion. As long as I can edit from them without hickups I am a happy boy ! :)

How do you guys feel about smaller arrays and hot swappable drives for back up?

Im running a 2TB raid 0 array (two 1tb drives in raid 0) with an additional dedicated slow 2tb internal drive for nightly backups and a removable drive bay for archiving projects off line.

Im also on PC with CS5.5

I just use individual firewire drives for each project; of course, I work for clients and not myself. I still use separate external drives for my own purposes.

I don't use RAID set-ups because Pro Tools doesn't like them very much.

Back