Newb here

Hi everyone. Just registered today. I've been reading different forums from different locations gathering some helpful advice and tips on making indie films, though I think this site may prove more advantageous.

I'm from Montreal and have never been 'behind the camera" until recently but from my experiences as an 'actor' in Montreal, there is little work and fewer rewards so I figured I'd involve myself deeper in the industry and get into writing.

Since making this decision, I've written a couple of scripts, 4 shorts, and one feature length.

I'm about to embark on a huge career change and actively get involved with film making on a full scale.

I've been a fan of film now since I was a kid, always wondering "how'd they do THAT?!" and, "I can do THAT!"

Why got into acting, I'll never know. I find I have more ideas of my own I'd like to produce on film as opposed to just acting out someone elses' ideas.

I'm about to storyboard a short (30-40 min) spoof of a well known character from horror. I've had this idea for years and never considered doing anything with it until about a year ago.

I began collecting materials, equipment and knowledge to do this.

Here, I hope to gain a better understanding of how to do this successfully.

S

Last edited:
Welcome...

Samuel M. Hain said:
Hi everyone. Just registered today. I've been reading different forums from different locations gathering some helpful advice and tips on making indie films, though I think this site may prove more advantageous.

I'm from Montreal and have never been 'behind the camera" until recently but from my experiences as an 'actor' in Montreal, there is little work and fewer rewards so I figured I'd involve myself deeper in the industry and get into writing.

Since making this decision, I've written a couple of scripts, 4 shorts, and one feature length.

I'm about to embark on a huge career change and actively get involved with film making on a full scale.

I've been a fan of film now since I was a kid, always wondering "how'd they do THAT?!" and, "I can do THAT!"

Why got into acting, I'll never know. I find I have more ideas of my own I'd like to produce on film as opposed to just acting out someone elses' ideas.

I'm about to storyboard a short (30-40 min) spoof of a well known character from horror. I've had this idea for years and never considered doing anything with it until about a year ago.

I began collecting materials, equipment and knowledge to do this.

Here, I hope to gain a better understanding of how to do this successfully.

S

Welcome Samuel...

Don't be afraid to ask questions... We all pretty much have something to say... LOL. Hopefully, in the way of helpful advice...

Good luck with the career change.

filmy

Thanks for the welcomes!

Here's my first question for you eager experts;

As a former "actor", current professional musician, and wannabe film maker, is it at all "too egomaniacle or unreasonable of me to want to do just about everything myself?

Meaning, I have written a few short scripts, (average 15-20 mins each), and one feature length (120 pages), I want to storyboard, direct and score these myself. I have recently developed a close working relationship with a very eager film student who, has already filmed several shorts of her own and has no desire to quit anytime soon.

We share a similar love for old school Horror flicks that focus on lighting and camera angles as well as soundtrack, as opposed to over used laugh-lines and big special effects n' gore...

My question, in simple form is:

Can it be done? Can one person take so much responsibilty on a project and have positive results?

Thanks guys!

S

I'm doing this alot on my current production. I did have someone else write it based on my ideas and intensive discussion about the plot and character's journeys. I slated other people to do the other jobs...murphy's law struck and life got in the way. I've ended up doing most of the jobs on the set. My advice for this is to schedule more time than you need, setup early with stand-ins so the actors don't get annoyed with you for making them stand around (hey, I did slate others to do the lighting sound etc.). Keep a very critical eye all the time. Have a checklist taped to the tripod with your workflow on it. Use it every time before you say action, no exceptions!

Readthrough
Block
Props
Lights (I recommend flourescents for the lack of heat)
Framing
Focus
Polarizer (yes, even indoors I use them)
Check for glare from the lights
Check frame for extraneous crap (mic stands, exposed logos, people's feet)
Exposure
Focus
Sound
Focus
Rolling
Quiet Please!
Slate
Background!
Action!
... (listen for sounds other than what the actors are supposed to be making)
Cut!
Lather
Rinse
Repeat

knightly said:
I'm doing this alot on my current production. I did have someone else write it based on my ideas and intensive discussion about the plot and character's journeys. I slated other people to do the other jobs...murphy's law struck and life got in the way. I've ended up doing most of the jobs on the set. My advice for this is to schedule more time than you need, setup early with stand-ins so the actors don't get annoyed with you for making them stand around (hey, I did slate others to do the lighting sound etc.). Keep a very critical eye all the time. Have a checklist taped to the tripod with your workflow on it. Use it every time before you say action, no exceptions!

Readthrough
Block
Props
Lights (I recommend flourescents for the lack of heat)
Framing
Focus
Polarizer (yes, even indoors I use them)
Check for glare from the lights
Check frame for extraneous crap (mic stands, exposed logos, people's feet)
Exposure
Focus
Sound
Focus
Rolling
Quiet Please!
Slate
Background!
Action!
... (listen for sounds other than what the actors are supposed to be making)
Cut!
Lather
Rinse
Repeat

I was honestly expecting to get a laugh or two from my question. Greatly appreciated, this advice. I tend to be the sort of person who tends to rely too much on myself for the results I want or anticipate, however if you and others are doing similar, and with positive results, it just motivates me to do the same.

Thanks very much for your tips Knightly!

S

I will also add, that once you find someone you trust to run the camera and the sound, your workload gets much lighter, the days we had sound and DP on set, I had much more focus on the performance of my actors. The DP handled all of the lighting/eliminating shadows, I just had to verify framing when he was done setting up. My AD would run lines with the actors (we didn't rehearse at all be fore the shoot) while I verified the technical bits. I would do one run through with the actors to tweak their performance and blocking. We'd roll, I could just concentrate on the dialog as my sound guy listened for everything that wasn't dialog in the headphones. We'd reshoot if there was sound over the dialog or if the dialog was bad. DP would let me know if framing stayed good. I got to concentrate on getting the performances I wanted and the day went much faster and the footage was much cleaner.

You're a great help Sir Knightly! Valuable and helpful info yet again. How would you go about successfully capturing sweat beads on somenoe forehead from a reaosnable distance?

S

indie film making is moving more and more towards smaller multi-talented crews. I used to teach acting for film in a British college and I argued repeatedly that there should be more technical training on vidoe and film production for actors as I thought actors would make creative use of the information.

My experience is that there are real advatages to working with someone with good technical knowledge in the early years, that is, someone who can DOP, light, edit and run a production professionally.

Personally I wish I'd found this site nine years ago when I was first starting out. Of course it didn't exist then, but you get my drift. :lol:

Last edited:
Hey Clive

I agree with you on that. Having someone else technically versatile is definitely a big help. I'm no camera expert. I know a good camera from a useless one, and I know how to hold it, but for physically filming any scene I wont go near any camera. My home movies, filmed with a small Canon DV are my way of experimenting with lighting and angles, giving me IDEAS on how I'd like to SEE a specific shot done on film.

Scripting is more my thing, as well as soundtrack and score. My ideal position is of course directing. I'll be completely honest and admit I've NEVER directed a film in my life, save for shorts where I was merely on-set as an assistant of sorts. But it gave me a taste of what I felt I really wanted to do.

Currently, I'm revising a script I'd written several years ago and simply tossed aside to continue on with a gradually diminishing career in music I'm kcking myself now however. I should have gotten into film sooner. I feel old now. ;)

I thought originally that it might seem presumptuous of me to want to do as much as I possibly can, writing, directing, producing... But as I'm learning here, this might be the way to go.

S

Back