New Conan The Barbarian Adaptation

A little bit of hack and slash - it looks great. But then again, back in the day, 'Barbarian' was my favourite computer game on the C64. My favourite bit was when the little troll thing grumbled his way on screen, kicking the head. I have to say, it looks a touch dated now...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4Ii_YfJNvw&feature=related

However, I'm sooo looking forward to it - I just hope they don't overcomplicate it. The original was so good, in part because of the simplicity, and Arnie was the business. His pecs deserved an Oscar.

The only issue is that when I look at the pictures, I start feeling the need to go to the gym...

Barbarian was awesome! There was a second (pretty much more of the same) that was good too. And while we're at it, a little more obscure, but there was a similar arcade game called Hippodrome (www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=8118 sometimes known as Fighting Fantasy, depending on release/territory/randomness. I've seen cabinets with both names).

Going back to the topic, there was a C64 Conan game that I had fun with too, but that was more a typical platform/adventure game of the era. I know there's a Conan massive these days (and for that matter, a redone Barbarian a few years back), but I wonder if the new movie will spur on a new game, for those of us who don't like massives.

I'm a big fan of the extremely entertaining and well-written Robert E. Howard stories. So I'm looking for a Conan who matches the character as written, which none of the movies nor the silly TV show have done, and only a few of the comics have gotten. Conan's a smart survivor possessing of animal cunning and mad battle skills, and Jason Momoa -- who certainly looks like the character -- may be the right one to pull it off. Now let's hope the writing matches the casting.

Back