Netflix Recommendations

Ok, so I finally joined Netflix and I'm catching up on all the films that I should've watched over the years.

What are some must see movies that I should add to my list? I've seen a fair amount of stuff, so don't suggest something that's too mainstream. Really, I'd prefer if you could suggest some pre-1980 classics or underrated films. There is a lot of pre-1980 movies that I have not seen, but feel free to suggest anything.

Stalker by Tarkovsky (Russian sci-fi in which nothing much happens for three hours, but beautiful to watch)

Paris Texas (if you haven't seen it already)

and

City of the Lost Children (same team that made Amelie) and of course Amelie (If you haven't seen it already)

Oh, and finally the film I watched last night and had me weeping with laughter, "Shaolin Soccer" a kung-fu soccer film about kung-fu experts who join the Chinese soccer league (Yes, and it's got singing too)

I've recently been on a Robert Altman kick. I've decided I like his older stuff better than his more recent. Gosford Park was good though. Mash is always worth the rewatch, but I really liked Three Women and Images.

Netflix is fun!! I have over 200 movies in my queue and not nearly enough time to watch them all :)

Must see foreign films for anyone interested in filmmaking...

Classics:
400 Blows (French)
The Rules of the Game (French)
The Bicycle Theif (Italian)
L'Avventura (Italian)
Ballad of a Soldier (Russian)
The Cranes are Flying (Russian)

Of these classics, my top 3 are: Rules of the Game, Ballad of a Soldier, and the 400 Blows (in that order).

Modern:
Run Lola Run (German)
The Experiment (German)

I'm sure there are plenty more modern foreign films worth seeing, these are the two that immediately came to mind, and I could watch both many many times.

Some of my favorite 70s/early 80s picks:

The Stuntman and My Favorite Year -- two great Peter O'Toole performances.

Smile -- one of the great underappreciated comedies of the era. If you haven't seen Bad News Bears, add that too so your first impression isn't the Billy Bob version.

Used Cars

Over the Edge -- great look at bored youth in the late 70s.

My Bodyguard -- another youth pic from that era. both star a young matt dylan.

Slap Shot -- if you haven't seen it, maybe the best sports film ever made -- and i hate hockey.

400 Blows (French)
The Rules of the Game (French)
The Bicycle Theif (Italian)
L'Avventura (Italian)
Ballad of a Soldier (Russian)
The Cranes are Flying (Russian)

Will, that's a great list.

"Bicycle Thief" is such a great film and also a fantastic example of what happens when new technology enters the industry. It was all shot on lightweight 16mm cameras developed to document the war.

Run Lola Run, as well, very classy. I would have expected to find Wings of Desire and Fitzcaraldo in a list like that, which are both stunning films.

YES! I agree- the bicycle thief was an amazing movie- see that immediately!!!
There were no actors in that movie- the director got a factory worker to play the lead role because he wanted realism. It's amazing.

Clive.. I'll make note of those, I haven't seen either of them. That list (the classic part) is a small section of films we're watching in my 'International Film' class. There are quite a few others, but those were the few that really came to mind, and some of the others I just didn't enjoy, like... Battleship Potemkin, and Alexander Nevsky... not sure what it was, but they just weren't my cup of tea.

Oh, I suppose, though, that I could add Faust not really a favorite, but it was alright I guess.. and it is a classic. There's some good examples of early special effects work in it that are pretty cool.

Some of these may not be too underrated, but hopefully you haven't seen them yet. Most of them are foreign, and some are pre 80's.

Fellini's "La Dolce VIta" (1961)- kind of abstract. I really like Mario Manstroiani (sp?) in this film.

Bergman's "hour of the wolf" (1968)- my favorite Bergman film.

Herzog's "Fitzcarraldo" (1982)- very beautiful and imaginative film. This is probably also Klaus Kinski's greatest performance

Leone's "Once Upon a time in America" (1980)- probably the most beautiful gangster film ever made, and my favorite Sergio Leone film.

Herzog's "Aguirre, The Wrath of God" (1973)- mysterious and haunting, again Kinski gives an amazing performance

Lynch's "wild at heart" (1989)- a more accesible Lynch film, and not very mainstream at all.

Kubrick's "lolita" (1962) - Alot of people don't like this film but it's one of my all time favorites. Peter Sellers is really great in this too. a very daring film at the time and a great blend of comedy and drama.

and if you haven't seen it yet, check out Kubrick's "Paths of Glory" (1959). Everyone should see this film once in their lives. :yes:

while your at it check out a whole bunch of australian films because we just plain rock. Somersault. Chopper. Two Hands. Alexandra's Project. The Tracker. Australian Rules. The Boys. He Died With A Felafel In His Hand. Idiot Box. Romper Stomper. The Nostradamus Kid. Proof. Just to name a few.

Damn! I was right in the middle of adding these to my Nexflix Queue and the site shut down for maintenance.

What I've added so far:

Fistful of Dollars
Crimson River
Once Were Warriors
Rabbit-Proof Fence
Shaolin Soccer
Knightriders
L'Avventura
Ballad of a Soldier
The Cranes are Flying
The Experiment
The Stuntman
Used Cars
Slap Shot
Fitzcaraldo
Faust
La Dolce VIta
hour of the wolf
Once Upon a time in America
Chopper

...and that's when I crashed their server. :D

clive said:
Stalker by Tarkovsky (Russian sci-fi in which nothing much happens for three hours, but beautiful to watch)

I looked for this, but they didn't have it. I read about it on imdb and it sounds interesting.

T Shipley said:
Over the Edge -- great look at bored youth in the late 70s.

Whoa! I just had a flashback!

T Shipley said:
My Bodyguard -- another youth pic from that era. both star a young matt dylan.

Flashback #2!

I will add more of the Australian films that slacker listed once I can get back on the site.

Great suggestions! I was reminded of some films I've been meaning to watch, and some I've never heard of before. Good Mix. I had seen a good number of those, but they were all good suggestions....except for Poke's....man that guy sucks. I thought Indie fired him?

Keep them coming if you have more.

Back