• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Need some advice on which mic to use.

I am shooting a film on a shoestring budget and would like to know what's the cheapest mic and digital sound recorder I could get, but that still has good enough quality to qualify for the movie to be sent to the film festivals, and not be judged for poor sound.

For sure. Well I shopped around and I think I will by either the Tascam HD-P2, or Zoom H4N. I have listen to footage recorded in the Zoom and there is no hissing, so maybe it all depends on the settings. One person told me it depends on how you set it.

After filming this short film I have decided to film a feature length script I wrote, which I wanna send into the film festivals and market to DVD or maybe even some movie theaters if it happens. But can the H4N or HD-P2 be good enough quality for a movie to be accepted by distributors, to be put into theaters? Even in the hands of an expert, can the sound be that good?

Give the H4n to Alcove and I'm sure he could get acceptable sound with it.

Give it to a green friend who wants to help your production out and it will most likely sound horrible.

My point is that it's not the equipment you use, it's how you use it. A good mic placed in a bad spot will sound horrible. A bad mic placed in a good spot will sound OK.

I suggest really learning how to use the equipment you've got to get the best possible sound. I think it's possible to do it with an H4n (never done it myself, but from the recordings I've heard it possibly could be done), but I personally believe in doing everything professionally. And this means changing your viewpoint from "how can I get it done in the cheapest way that passes the standards test of directors" to "how can I make my movie sound the best I can possibly make it" and work towards that and this most definitely means to upgrade your equipment and get better recorders and mics to do this with.

If you choose to do something as an amateur, you'll wind up with amateur products. Be a professional!

Thanks, but the thing is, you say it's okay to use bad equipment as long as I can master how, but then you say I should upgrade the quality. It all seems to be paradoxical, which is what is leading to not knowing what to do. I am learning how to use the equipment best I can, and testing it out when I can rent it. I just need to be absolutely certain of what to buy before I buy, so I don't have to spend on renting all the time.

Last edited:
I said you can give it to a pro who knows what he's doing and have OK sound but I gave further advice to work out how to be professional at it with better tools and create an awesome sounding soundtrack which closer approximates movies like Inception if you're serious about it.

I was doing some mic shopping. Instead of getting different mics for different types of exteriors and interiors, like a shotgun and a cardoid, is there an all purpose mic I could use for shooting, to save money, but that is of good theater movie quality if used well?

After making this short film though, I want to make a feature to send off the to festivals, and I also would like to distribute in on dvd, or possibly even some theater showings if it gets that far. Can the FR2-LE or the TASCAM DR-05, and a $300 dollar mic be good enough to make a good enough quality movie to be accepted into theaters, if done right? Are there any hit movies that are easy to find that have been recorded using these, to get an idea? I can't find any hissing with the Zoom H4N, but maybe it hisses on big theater speakers. Are there any easy to find theater hit movies, that have been recorded with that?

Last edited:
This thread has made me LOL more than once. :lol:

Maybe think of it this way:

There's a drag race. Driver #1 owns a Ferrari, but has never actually driven before. Driver #2 has a Toyota, but has raced professionally for years. In that scenario, who do you think will come out on top?

Bottom line: your equipment is only as good as the person using it. Find someone who knows what they're doing and they will help you get the best bang for your buck.

I am shooting a film on a shoestring budget and would like to know what's the cheapest mic and digital sound recorder I could get, but that still has good enough quality to qualify for the movie to be sent to the film festivals, and not be judged for poor sound.

First on the block is the Rode VideoMic Video Condenser Microphone. The VideoMic is known as a shotgun mike, meaning it will pick up the sounds from the general direction in which the mike is pointed. Features include a two-step high-pass filter for reducing low-frequency sounds and noises, and a shock resistant shoe-mount, which counters any noise the mike might make from jostling or moving while filming. It boasts a frequency range of 40Hz – 20kHz, meaning it does a great job in picking up a full range of sounds. It has a wired plug that fits into the VIXIA’s 3.5 mm jack. It comes with an industry standard wind guard, preventing any interference on a breezy day. It’s powered by a single 9V battery, and is available from Amazon for $149.00.

:)

Well I would prefer to buy locally at a store I can deal with more directly, rather than Amazon. There is the Apex 175 where I am and that is the store's best mic. How's that one? I know I know, it is up to the person using it and not the equipment but somehow it seems that the equipment does matter. I don't just wanna use it for the short film I mentioned but I also wanna use it for a bigger feature length film I plan to do after as well.

I have looked up several low budget indie movies that were hits and all of them have never used the Zoom H4N or the other sound recorders mentioned. They have all used more expensive types. Same with camera. I am using the Canon T2i and cannot find any movies that were hits that have use it. So it seems that there are no hit movies that have used equipment this cheap so I feel worried that maybe it's not good enough, based on big movies, never using it before. Sure it's the hands that guide them but if that's true, how come most movie makers go for more costly equipment?

facepalm8bu0uc7.gif

Okay, fine I will buy the Apex perhaps. I wanted to go with the ME66 but they are discontinued. They said the best they have is the Apex, so I'll go with that since it doesn't really matter, and we just need to learn how to use it right.

GP, who answered you in #7 does production sound for a living; I worked about three years doing production sound, I've been doing post sound for a living for almost ten years now, and audio in general for almost 35 years. So I think that we both may have a pretty good idea of what we are talking about. I don't know who you've been talking to about sound, but he really has his head up his anus. And I really get the feeling that you just ignore the things that you don't want to hear from GPs or my posts.

There are reasons why a "Hollywood" sound cart costs over $100,000. There are reasons why the best production sound mixer/boom-op/wrangler teams make almost $1.5k per day. If you want great sound you have to plan for it, you need the proper equipment, you have to acquire the knowledge, you have to acquire the skill sets, and you have to expend the efforts. And even then 20 times the money and effort will be expended in audio post massaging the production sound and adding further sonic enhancements such as Foley and sound FX; and mixing it all is another dimension entirely.

Capturing good production sound is HARD. Capturing great production sound is even harder. A shotgun mic is not an audio magic wand, it will not do what you are trying to accomplish. I won't go into the details, but due to the physics of sound and the principles on which they are built, shotgun mics are a very poor choice for indoor usage 90% of the time, and I would lay very heavy odds that you will not be shooting in the other 10% of those situations. No matter what you do, at some point you will have to spend some relatively serious money to accomplish certain audio tasks and even then the task will only be accomplished by someone who has the knowledge and experience.

Your original question was "I am shooting a film on a shoestring budget and would like to know what's the cheapest mic and digital sound recorder I could get, but that still has good enough quality to qualify for the movie to be sent to the film festivals, and not be judged for poor sound." I gave you the ultra-cheap solution. If you know better then do what you want.

So you say here that I need the PROPER equipment. But then you say it's not the equipment, it's the skill. So I don't know what I need really because of things like this. You say that if I hire the right soundman, it doesn't matter on the equipment. But then you say don't get the Zoom because they hiss. I really have to make the right decision, but it's hard when first I am told get the proper equipment, then I'm told it's not the equipment, that matters as long as I get someone who knows how to do it right. I have to get the equipment and I don't want the soundman I line up to interview, say that they can't work with what I bought and make it movie quality.

But yeah, I have decided that I think I will get the Tascam DR-100, depending on the price, since it has been recommended by Alcove Audio and some in another post. You guys seem to know what you're talking about. I was going to get the ME66 mic but it's discontinued. I can't find a successor to it, so is there one, or is there a mic just as good or around the same price? I was told the Apex 175 at the store, but what do you guys think? Aside from getting a shotgun mic, I should also get a cardioid for indoors probably, so is there cardioid equivalent to the ME66? Thanks.

Last edited:
Answer me this:

Can I build a house if I only buy a hammer?

I've got screws, and nails, and staples.

Can I buy a hammer and use it on all three of those and build a house with it?

I want the cheapest option - hammers are the cheapest out of a screw-gun and a staple-gun, so I'm going to buy that.

Will a hammer build me a quality house?

ANSWER:

"Of course not. You're going to need to spend a little more money to get some proper tools, like a screw driver. There are more expensive tools like a powered drill which can do a much faster and better job of screwing in screws, and it will look more professional. You will also need a stape-gun for when you need to use staples. You will need these tools in different scenarios and it depends on what part of the house you are trying to build. True, you can build a house with only nails, but it will be rickety and fall apart and not be as professional as it would be if you had the proper tools and tools that professionals are using to build big strong houses - your house will not look as well-built as those unless you spend a bit more money and learn to use those tools professionally to build your house with."

Last edited:
No, you guys are right, it's the hands that do it, not the equipment. I just don't get whey hollywood spends money on multi million dollar equipment. That's like spending a million dollars on a hammer when any good capable hammer will do. The big movies are just wasting their money. I am just worried about getting it right, that's all. Instead of asking what equipment I should get, I should be asking are there any tips me and my guys can benefit from to make your sound very good quality, so theaters will accept it. Thanks.

Last edited:
Well, there is only so much I can do with a mic and a recorder like the H4n. I could probably make it sound better than half the movies out there, but it would take a lot of work.

Give me a good recorder like a Sound Devices with a great mic like a Schoeps MK41 or Senn MKH50 and that movie would sound pristine and awesome - dialogue-wise.

There is also the issue of sound editorial and mixing. How do you plan on doing those things?

The tools do have an influence on the quality.

How much do you have saved up for purchasing sound equipment?

I think I can spend up to 600-800 for the sound recorder and a mic. If I need two mics (one for indoors, one for out), then perhaps I can spare more, depending. I and my friends have some programs like Final Cut Pro and another one my friend has (can't remember the name). But they both say that their programs are good for audio editing and mixing in post. The ME66 cost around $300, but the stores no longer carry that. Is there a more current shotgun mic and cardioid mic I could get for a price just as good? I keep reading that the DR 100 is better than the H4N so I think I will get that, if the price is the same, and it's not discontinued.

Last edited:
Okay, I want a mic like ME66 since people have said that it captures sounds more accurately than the Rode mics. Are there anything like the ME66 for around the same price that aren't discontinued?

Last edited:
Back