• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

color-grading Need help with color grading

I couldn't find a category for post-production, so I guess "cinematography" is the most appropriate category for color grading...
Anyway, so I started to use cinestyle on my canon to get "a better dynamic range". For people who don't know what's cinestyle, it's like C-Log but less good. 😅
I know logs help you to get a better result in color grading but because I always used luts I never really knew how to use the tools in Davinci Resolve for color grading. So I watched, (I think) almost 3 hours of tutorials about "how to get a film look". Unfortunately, they were giving the same advice and didn't help me much. I know that I need to start by lowering the lower tones (they need to reach zero) and increased the higher tones to give more contrast but that's it.
What I am asking is a very wide question (which doesn't help) so let me give you a specific example:

so here is a video of my brother with no color grading:
1589480627881.png

And now the same picture but with a lut from DaVinci resolve called "film look":

1589480725866.png

To be honest it looks very cool but how do you get this look? To be more specific: how did it turn the tee shirt from green to blue?
I tried to mess around with the color wheels, with the curves, with RGB mixers, etc and I couldn't find the cause of it...
What do you think guys? I'll be very happy to hear/read your advice. 😀

Last edited:
So the question is how do I turn a green shirt into a blue one?

Well, in this case, yes... but I just gave an example to be more specific because asking how to color grade is a very wide question.
For example, if I put blue on the color wheel "lift" I get this:

1589747986564.png

For gamma
1589748020300.png

For shadow:
1589748090646.png

Etc
So obviously, I'm not really an expert in color grading. So I thought it could be interesting to understand how the tee shirt turned out from green to blue. It would probably give me a better understanding of how color grading works. :)

Last edited:
there are tools to isolate a specific color. such as isolate all green. and then you apply an effect just to the narrow margin of green tones you have requested. like turn all green into blue. tbh i havent done color grading in a while. I need to go back and reread my book about it

Back