Need Helicopter access for shoot

I just need a single take of a guy exiting a helcopter and walking over to his bike which is parked near by so when he is on his bike you can see the helo in the background. Thats it. Real simple. Local Heliport wants $5000! Say what?? Any suggestions?

I'm just speculating. You've tried the local heliport. Maybe a different
one that is farther away will have better rates. Local is easier to get to,
non local might be affordable.

Got a millitary museum near you?
I recently was recently at a historic naval dockyard doing some filming for a project. They had a hellicopter there, they probably would have let me go inside if I'd asked.

Of course you're not nesscecarily going to have such a place near you. But a local helliport seems just as likely.

Have you tried the beaches? I know that in San Pedro you can take a 1/2 hr. helicopter ride for like $80 per person, it takes you on a scenic route along San pedro coast. They will probably charge you way cheaper than $5,000. Or maybe any other place where you can pay to ride on one, Im sure there is plenty in the L.A. area.

You're in CT. Call the heliports in NYC that do tours. If worst come to worst pay for your actor to do a tour, and tell them you just want to tape him coming off the chopper and skip the tour. It's like $99.

I would recommend finding student to help you do it in post in a program like After Effects. It is an easy shoot. First find the helicopter image you want to use, match up the height of you stepping down and then you can animate a blur effect for the blades. I would shoot in an open field to make it easier to use as a background. Make sure you color correct and match. There is nothing worse than a crappy effects job. Good luck.

I would recommend finding student to help you do it in post in a program like After Effects. It is an easy shoot. First find the helicopter image you want to use, match up the height of you stepping down and then you can animate a blur effect for the blades. I would shoot in an open field to make it easier to use as a background. Make sure you color correct and match. There is nothing worse than a crappy effects job. Good luck.

That could work, but I think it would look shoddy. I would try using a green screen to get the footage of your actor jumping down. Then get some footage of a helicopter sitting on a pad, paying for stock footage is going to be cheaper than 5,000 bucks. I would watch video copilot's tutorial where they show you how to make someone get hit by a car.

Ok, but that actually brings up a question I had. Is it taboo or anything to use stock footage in a film? Is it unprofessional (outside of corporate training videos, that is :P )?

What about a traffic copter? One that flies over the city looking at traffic for the radio stations? Maybe they would take a few minutes for you to get your shot - particularly if your actor doesn't have to fly.

You could also get yourself a helicopter model and do it with a forced perspective minature shot. Pretty cheap and easy, and then you can put your helicopter anywhere.

Here's some basic info on what forced perspective is, and how it works on wikipedia, and there's a good section covering all the how-to stuff in the DV Rebel's Guide

Back