• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

lighting Need camera and lighting info

Hello everybody,im roberto,new to this forum.searching on google i found this website. Little about what i want help with. Im not a professional at all.just hobby based i learned a lot,first with photography and now going for filming. So my basic thing is that i have a hobby building scale cars. Its just a hobby what im doing for some time now but want to expand by going on youtube with my own channel.
After some searching and ideas i finally found some style what i really like but sadly enough im not so experienced to archieve this. So i hope to get some guidelines what to do. So some info what i have and what i want to archieve.so i found a style that i like on youtube.this is the style what i mean

-I will film with a phone(samsung s9+) dont have a camera yet maybe in the future.

- im using premiere pro.

-dont have any lighting just a small film light of yongnuo yn300

-want to build my own sooftbox with led bulb daylight version.

So basically my questions are for those experienced filmers here.
Is this guy using a softbox here?
If yes, could it be that its placed above the camera or on the side of his workplace.how come the backgrpund is dark, do you think hes working in a complete dark room with just softbox, i think the zoom thing what hes doing can be archieved in post processing with crop and zoom.
My budget is real tight thats why im trying to go with what i have for now.
I understand that this guy maybe using a fancy expensive camera with expensive lens,for me i understand that part.
I like the cinematic style of shooting what he does.
As for the background, does somebody know how to archieve that black-dark grey background,or is it lets say table color that is seen because of the camera been placed as overhead filming.
Sprry if i have some crazy questions but i want to archieve this.
I want to be sure what to buy before spending money on the wrong stuffs.
So please can somebody give me some guidelines and information with this situation.
Thanks all.

Gr roberto

Hi, Roberto.

There's no reason you can't get started with what you have, plus a couple of things.

First, get the FilmicPRO app for your phone. That unlocks all sorts of useful controls for your camera, including focus, exposure, and white balance. You'll also need a clamp to mount your phone to the tripod.

Second, get a decent tripod. I assume you're self-producing this with no assistance? The biggest thing here is to be able to lock the camera in position (and set your focal point, etc., with the app). You might also look a tabletop camera dolly to get some of the tracking shots of the build steps and the finished product.

Third, the LED panel that you have is useful, but it needs a lot of diffusion. For tabletop shooting like this, soft like is much more important than hard light. Shoot it through a white bed sheet. You'll also want to get a least one more to be able to provide some back light or accent lighting so details don't get lost in the shadows.

As far as the dark background, if you light the subject and not the background, the background will fall off into the shadows.

Hi, Roberto.

There's no reason you can't get started with what you have, plus a couple of things.

First, get the FilmicPRO app for your phone. That unlocks all sorts of useful controls for your camera, including focus, exposure, and white balance. You'll also need a clamp to mount your phone to the tripod.

Second, get a decent tripod. I assume you're self-producing this with no assistance? The biggest thing here is to be able to lock the camera in position (and set your focal point, etc., with the app). You might also look a tabletop camera dolly to get some of the tracking shots of the build steps and the finished product.

Third, the LED panel that you have is useful, but it needs a lot of diffusion. For tabletop shooting like this, soft like is much more important than hard light. Shoot it through a white bed sheet. You'll also want to get a least one more to be able to provide some back light or accent lighting so details don't get lost in the shadows.

As far as the dark background, if you light the subject and not the background, the background will fall off into the shadows.
Acoustic thanks for ur reply, appreciate it. Yes im looking for a siftbix to buy,just a cheap starters one with maybe a bulb function in it with a diffuser. Its also true im working alone, and i have tripod for the phone camera. I was just asking myself if this guy placed the camera on the top of the scene as a overhead/top diwn positionor just the side.
Second is normally i have a table in the living room where i want to work and film but because of the dark scene in the vidro im asking myself uf i should work in a complete dark room with just a softbox light and my film light.this is the light i currently have

1610475382777.png
1610475382777.png

I know this one is small. As for the background i think im gonna look for a dark paper background and also my workspace the same color carton paper.

What the hell, AcousticalAl? You're an audio guy. Why are you giving such
excellent camera/lighting advice?

Rpberto, it looks to me like thet guy is shooting on a black tabletop. Black
paper should work. If you're going to shoot several of these types of videos
you should paint your workspace with flat black paint.
I was just asking myself if this guy placed the camera on the top of the scene as a overhead/top diwn positionor just the side.
Second is normally i have a table in the living room where i want to work and film but because of the dark scene in the vidro im asking myself uf i should work in a complete dark room with just a softbox light and my film light.
It looks like he shoot some of that from the side rather than down. Light and
exposure control is the key here. Use strong light and expose the subject
which will make the background underexposed. That app should help you
do that with your phone. You need to make sure the light doesn't hit the
background. You might be better off with a hard, more focused light.

I would recommend the Joby GorillaPod and phone mount. That little tabletop
dolly would add a lot of production value to a video like this.

What the hell, AcousticalAl? You're an audio guy. Why are you giving such
excellent camera/lighting advice?

Rpberto, it looks to me like thet guy is shooting on a black tabletop. Black
paper should work. If you're going to shoot several of these types of videos
you should paint your workspace with flat black paint.

It looks like he shoot some of that from the side rather than down. Light and
exposure control is the key here. Use strong light and expose the subject
which will make the background underexposed. That app should help you
do that with your phone. You need to make sure the light doesn't hit the
background. You might be better off with a hard, more focused light.

I would recommend the Joby GorillaPod and phone mount. That little tabletop
dolly would add a lot of production value to a video like this.
Directorik,thanks man for ur info, alright the tabletop info is great,because i will shoot several videos so painting will be an option.oke about the strong light, can you give me some more info about it.should i look for a small softbox with grid and on the table that im working,should i also use the smaller yongnuo light what i have but diffused more on the side,lets say left or right of my working space to light the subject? Im working on a dinning table so i have some space on the left to place the gorillapod and on the right side i will place the second light. I want to be sure what to buy.can you ecplain what you meant with hard light? Thanks ditectorik.

Hard light is not diffused. A soft light is diffused. A hard light will
create strong shadows. A soft light doesn't create strong shadows.

What you want to do is set up a hard, direct light on your subject
and make sure the shadow isn't on screen. Left or right of your
workspace is something you need to try for yourself. Set up your
camera, set up your light and see if you like the look. If not, move
the light. Or move the camera. Or move the subject.

You might have the proper light in your home right now. Do you
have a desk lamp or a worklight?

Lloytron-Hobby-Desk-Lamp.jpg
1546605412_1451001.jpg

You might want to use your soft light to light the hands and the
hard light to light the model.

1546605412_1451001.jpg

Ok directorik, as i mentioned earlier, i have the yongnuo yn300. Ok i have a small diy softbox i made myself,its 30cm in diameter with a 25 watt daylight bulb. I ordered a gorillapod with smartphone holder. Basically on my dining table on the left the camera will be placed on gorillapod.on the right side on a tripod will be the softbox directed on the workplace where my subject will be,thats in the middle of my table.
For underground im looking for maybe plywood painted black or dark grey. So maybe an option to use the softbox without a diffuser directed on subject and the other light on my hands or the left side but difffused. I can test that out when i have my gorillapod. Im also looking to buy the filmic pro app because in there i can put the iso on the lowest setting and play with shutterspeed depands on how the lights will react. Im on a tight budget so want to start and later on i will check on for uogrades in lighting. Hopefully im on the right track...if you have some more info or ideas its welcome directorik.

Thanks man.

1546605412_1451001.jpg

One more thing directorik, normally i will work in my living room, but as the situation is what i want to archieve should i work in a darker room with no light or can i still work in the living room because its not dark, i have a big window and its very light in the living room. And in the video its dark...

The more control you have the better it will look.

If the room is very light everything lit will be seen on camera. If the room is
dark only what is lit will be seen.

Try it today with what you have: Put the model on the table, prop up your
phone with a book or two, set your yongnuo yn300 on the table and shoot
some video. Wait until night and shoot some video. Hold the phone in one
hand and the model in the other. Move the model closer to and then away
from the light. Do this in both daytime with the light coming in from the big
window and at night with no light coming in from the big window.

That way you can answer your question. See exactly what works and what
you may need to change or adjust to get exactly what you want with what
you have.

you have.
Ditectorik,thanks man, thanks for youre time to answer me. I appreciate it man.i will test this out. Also one more thing, i found out that i also have gopro hero 5 session. I will test out with that also...maybe it can help me more to control the camera settings manually. Weekend i will test out and give you an update.yes and the dark room option was one thing i was thinking about also. Im not that technical but i understand youre explanation. Will give an update.

you have.
Director rik ive tried out what you advised and it didnt worked out for me. Pne thing i can sayi didnt bought the filmicpro app just yet. Because i saw the option for pro video in samsung and there i can control the iso, exposure and focus.i tried in thd living room and i struggled with thd light.it wasnt soft enough. With both my lights.
I can say that i saw also some flikkering in screen while recording,but i think that that has to do with not chosen 24fps bit 30fps, my phone camera app does not allow to choose 24fps...something to do with europe and US with the 24 and 30 fps...so i tried in dark bedroom also there i had troubles with hard shadow. Not soft att all. So i got dissappointed and stopped. So i went serach hunting again and i finally found a video what another guy which i also follow, it was his workspace video.he also has the same cinematic look. And checking carefully i saw hes using just two things, one a softbox with bulb, think 3 bulbs and a ringlight.

Check this link from lets say on the two minute mark (2:08) hes talking about what lights, but hes using a canon 80d, but as you already said, i should be able to do it with my phone.

In this video hes talking about the gear he uses.

And the secobd one its his first studio walkthrough, check from the 1:40 mark...and he has the style as i was looking for.

Now my question to you is, what size softbox is he using, does it matter how big the softbox is?
And he talks about the ringlight,he 7ses it because of the overhead shits of the camera,to diffuse the hard shadow of the camera,he uses the ringlight...
So i finally found what i was looking for.
Do you think its possible for me to archieve this with my setup. As i said earlier i dont want to buy things before im sure. I found a ringlight with phone attachment for the overhead, but like to have some input of yours.
This is the ringlight i founf

For the tabletop the guy also told he uses a black paper on his table...i have that.
Sorry for asking to many questions,but till now you gave me such good info otherwise i dont know where to start. I want to make it work.
Next purchase will he the filmicpro app. And hopefully the ringlight and at last the softbox,the one that i build myself is too small i think, want to make a bigger one...o yeah btw i difussed bot lights 3 times,first with a diffuser i had from and old softbox i had and second and third with cotton bedsheet...looking to try to build and test a bigger box today...hopefully it goes the right way.
So directorik,do you think this setup can bring me there, what size do you think the softbox in the video is?
Should i go for the ringlight as in the video?
Do you think i can reach this quality.
Thanks for reading directorik.
Hooe you xan give me some answers.

Gr roberto.

Last edited:
You can take all this advice or use cheap lights and say it was artistic expression lol l, but that would take balls. But only if the story and content was right, it works. So...

but the more the mainstream the better lighting to pay bills. Light it right and pro:)

Last edited:
Director rik ive tried out what you advised and it didnt worked out for me. Pne thing i can sayi didnt bought the filmicpro app just yet. Because i saw the option for pro video in samsung and there i can control the iso, exposure and focus.i tried in thd living room and i struggled with thd light.it wasnt soft enough. With both my lights.
I can say that i saw also some flikkering in screen while recording,but i think that that has to do with not chosen 24fps bit 30fps, my phone camera app does not allow to choose 24fps...something to do with europe and US with the 24 and 30 fps...so i tried in dark bedroom also there i had troubles with hard shadow. Not soft att all. So i got dissappointed and stopped.
You may have stopped too soon. Getting it right takes time. Did you
expect it to be perfect the first time?
So i went serach hunting again and i finally found a video what another guy which i also follow, it was his workspace video.he also has the same cinematic look. And checking carefully i saw hes using just two things, one a softbox with bulb, think 3 bulbs and a ringlight.

Check this link from lets say on the two minute mark (2:08) hes talking about what lights, but hes using a canon 80d, but as you already said, i should be able to do it with my phone.
I think you can do it with your phone. Here's a test I did in five minutes.

One light, five minutes of work using what you have available to you
without buying any more lights. It's not perfect, but with another hour
or so of experimenting I know I could get the look of the videos you
posted.

You may have stopped too soon. Getting it right takes time. Did you
expect it to be perfect the first time?

I think you can do it with your phone. Here's a test I did in five minutes.

One light, five minutes of work using what you have available to you
without buying any more lights. It's not perfect, but with another hour
or so of experimenting I know I could get the look of the videos you
posted.
Directorik, many many thanks man, i appreciate it very much what you did video is really really helpful.thanks for youre great explanation, it helps me now a lot. Im gonna test it later on. Also bought the filmic 0ro app. So gonne explire with it including the lights i have.realy thanks for youre time and effort for the explanation.will give you an update for sure if you dont mind.
Thanks man

Last edited:
You know the difference between a sound guy and a camera guy, right?

A sound guy knows how to run a camera. 😬
Ouch....
Directorik, many many thanks man, i appreciate it very much what you did video is really really helpful.thanks for youre great explanation, it helps me now a lot. Im gonna test it later on. Also bought the filmic 0ro app. So gonne explire with it including the lights i have.realy thanks for youre time and effort for the explanation.will give you an update for sure if you dont mind.
Thanks man
Glad to help. Being out of work I have more time on my hands. It was
fun to try it.

Ouch....

Glad to help. Being out of work I have more time on my hands. It was
fun to try it.
Directorik, after youre advice i started to do some research with what i have and after lots of test situations i finally think i like this one but i have a question and maybe you have some kind of info for me. Footage is loaded in premiere pro i adjusted the white balance, boost contrast a little bit and thats it. Im still questioning myself if this footage is good.as you see in the right side the light is some what good i think its not to harsh but soft.i used a daylight bulb with some cheap chinese paper lantern with the bulb. I think right side is good. I see some harsh effect on the orange bottle with the silver lid.maybe that can be fixed in premiere pro.
What im stuck is with the left side. I used the yongnuo light without diffuser, i tried with diffuser but it still gives me some purple blue casting as you can see in the clip.
Cant understand that at all...besides im gonna try to raise the bulb light a bit higher and position it some what not almost in the middle,maybe than i dont need a second light. I tried without the second light and footage looks good on a desktop monitor but on a phone a bit dark..what do you think and can you give more some advice and do you think this is good as a starting option for youtube and make it better in the future with some good lighting and maybe the ringlight in the middle?
I couldnt upload the video directly tho this site but found a solution..here is the link where the video is upload :

thanks for reading.

Last edited:
It looks pretty good.

You need to flag that light on the left. A piece of cardboard taped to the
bottom of that light should work. I'm thinking you should use something
that doesn't reflect light as the base. I used a black sweatshirt rather than
black paper.

I think this is good as a starting option for YouTube. Keep working. The
best way to get better is to try different things.

And why aren't you asking if he's going to be narrating? He could probably use a decent mic or lav. There are a few good ones that will plug into his phone.

That’s a very fair question, though hands-and-pans demos are often just video and music, no narration. This is especially common with model-making demos. See the sample video linked in the original post.

I kid because I love. Though, sound may be my primary bread and butter but I do shoot and edit quite a bit. It’s also extremely helpful as a sound mixer to know my way around a camera.

@Roberto12, I’m going to differ from Rik here just a little (not disagree, just differ). My preference for hands-and-pans is soft light. You can pull it off with two lights, one to key from a front-side, but slightly higher than normal to catch the tops, and one from the opposite angle to minimize shadows and to provide a little highlight. Soft light is a little harder to control when it comes to minimizing spill on the background, but a little time and experimentation can figure that out. Rik’s suggestion of black wrap is definitely worth paying attention to. It’s inexpensive yet very effective.

One of the more important things to note is the instability of color spectrum on low-cost LED panels. Try to keep to the same brand if you’re using more than one. Cheap LEDs can vary from fairly accurate over to magenta or to green. Different knock-off brands can have different color shifts. In the sample you shot, it looks like you have your LED panel and another light source that has a notably different color temperature. That’s going to make the color shifts even more obvious. Use one, two, or three of the same LED panel and white balance you camera to that.

Last edited:
Back