• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

lighting Need camera and lighting info

Hello everybody,im roberto,new to this forum.searching on google i found this website. Little about what i want help with. Im not a professional at all.just hobby based i learned a lot,first with photography and now going for filming. So my basic thing is that i have a hobby building scale cars. Its just a hobby what im doing for some time now but want to expand by going on youtube with my own channel.
After some searching and ideas i finally found some style what i really like but sadly enough im not so experienced to archieve this. So i hope to get some guidelines what to do. So some info what i have and what i want to archieve.so i found a style that i like on youtube.this is the style what i mean

-I will film with a phone(samsung s9+) dont have a camera yet maybe in the future.

- im using premiere pro.

-dont have any lighting just a small film light of yongnuo yn300

-want to build my own sooftbox with led bulb daylight version.

So basically my questions are for those experienced filmers here.
Is this guy using a softbox here?
If yes, could it be that its placed above the camera or on the side of his workplace.how come the backgrpund is dark, do you think hes working in a complete dark room with just softbox, i think the zoom thing what hes doing can be archieved in post processing with crop and zoom.
My budget is real tight thats why im trying to go with what i have for now.
I understand that this guy maybe using a fancy expensive camera with expensive lens,for me i understand that part.
I like the cinematic style of shooting what he does.
As for the background, does somebody know how to archieve that black-dark grey background,or is it lets say table color that is seen because of the camera been placed as overhead filming.
Sprry if i have some crazy questions but i want to archieve this.
I want to be sure what to buy before spending money on the wrong stuffs.
So please can somebody give me some guidelines and information with this situation.
Thanks all.

Gr roberto

I’m going to differ from Rik here just a little (not disagree, just differ).

This is what filmmaking - and IndieTalk - are all about. You try Rik's way. You try Al's way. You learn things. Al's way works good for this, but rik's way may apply somewhere else later. Maybe that ugly light mix may work one day because that's the way you want to tell that visual story.

There is no right way; we pick from all those varied techniques to tell our stories the way that we want to tell them.

That’s a very fair question, though hands-and-pans demos are often just video and music, no narration. This is especially common with model-making demos.

Oh, come on, Al; As a sound guy you know that I just HAVE to stick my nose in and mention sound-for-picture.

Back