Mystery Scrim?

Hello, I'm new to the forums, and have been making YouTube videos with a few friends for about a year. Iv'e been interested in films and filmmaking for as long as I can remember.

I have a question about a piece of equipment that I've seen being held around steadicam operators in multiple movies. It looks kind of like a mesh scrim, and it has a red border around it. Other than that, I really have no idea how to describe it.

I can't seem to think of a logical use for these, so I figured I'd post something here.

Here's the first example, from the B roll of the movie Argo. Some of you may have heard of it.
http://s948.beta.photobucket.com/us...enShot2013-03-05at93910AM.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

Second example, this one from the T.V show Hawaii five-o, specifically from the 2010 season.
http://s948.beta.photobucket.com/us...enShot2013-03-05at23541PM.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Lucas

it is used as a wind break, to stop wind hitting the camera and rocking the gimbal.

the steadycam is so finely balanced that wind can effect it, and in this case it looks like they are
using a two stop net for this purpose.

cheers

it is used as a wind break, to stop wind hitting the camera and rocking the gimbal.

the steadycam is so finely balanced that wind can effect it, and in this case it looks like they are
using a two stop net for this purpose.

cheers

Here in the States we use those nets for lighting - not for wind.
Interesting that you even call it a “two stop net” which is - essentially
- what we call it here in the States. We call it a "double". Here we
mean that that specific net cut the light by 2 F-stops. I’ve never
known them to be used to cut wind.

Crucsizzle - nets come in different thickness - single net, 1/4 net,
and double net. In a grip kit the type of net (scrim) is bordered
in different colors to quickly identify what they are. The red boarder
you see in those pictures indicates they are using a “double” (or 2-stop)
net. The single (1-stop) will have a green boarder the 1/4 net will
have a yellow boarder. There is also scrim fabric and silk fabric.

Green = single
Red = double

I've used those (and silks, mainly) as quick "courtesy flags" before. Not necessarily for wind, but for shading the camera & certain off-camera peeps. Hand-held or on stands, keepin' the sun off things/people.

But yah - normally for throwing in front of lights.

hi directorik,

yes they are called singles and doubles here but i have a habit of calling things after what they do
because of the amount of different nicknames for gear it confuses some people........

i have done wind duty several times but i always used a 4x4 floppy because i dont have a net big enough.

the advantage with a net is you can see the operator and the effect on the camera and if he
steps back he doesnt land on your toes and you can stay out of his way.

cheers mate

Back