My YA Wizard Story

I'm writing a TV show as 8x One-hour episodes totaling 400 pages. Afterward I will then convert into a novel.

3rd draft: Now rejects call on page 12 and crosses the threshold at page 25 if anyone is curious and wants to give it a read/critique.
Edit: Removed as 4th draft is in the works

My estimations are 2-3 months per episode so it will take over a year for me to finish, unless I really speed up with experience.
I'd say the biggest differences between this and harry potter are that it mostly takes place in the human world (not a hidden magic world) and that the wizards are a lot more pragmatic and dangerous, they embrace and use technology. Ain't no spell that matches the destructive force of 10,000 nuclear warheads am i right?

Last edited:
I wrote a line today that made me laugh, so I'll share it :)

"He'd rather go skinny dipping with piranhas." probably wont use it but its funny imagery

Last edited:
I spent an entire week on the moon.. finally got off that god forsaken rock today and let me tell you something

The moon isn't simply a dusty, boring rockā€”it's maliciously barren.
A desolate, colorless hellscape with the sinister black void of oblivion encroaching from the sky.

Fuck that place, I have zero desire to visit the moon after imagining a week there

space moon GIF by NASA

It's 20 pages long written with narrative prose instead of screenplay format, which means it'll probably take a while before I have a draft I'm happy with posting. I still have a lot of wrinkles to iron out with my narrative prose.

It was especially annoying since one of my characters wears a cape, you know how annoying that is to write a cape in a low gravity zero atmosphere environment?

Anyway moon, I'm out

Zintifa GIF

Last edited:
It's probably time well spent. My thinking is, if you can do something creative enough that you can show a 1 second clip in a trailer, and it's instantly recognizable as your IP, you're nailing it. Think about it, you've literally never seen even one second of footage of wizards fighting on the moon. Have you seen the trailers for CBS tv shows? They all just blend together because it's the same show over and over with different actors, costumes, and theming. Obviously a great story is core, but you can do a lot worse than to create a unique visual image. Anyway, I think it's a good concept.

Back