top-list My top 100 films ranked

fistful of dollars sucked. yojimbo > fistful of dollars by 100000x.
he copied kurosawa in almost EVERY part of the movie. even dialogue....
Toshiro Mifune > Clint Eastwood by 1000000x also

fistful of dollars sucked. yojimbo > fistful of dollars by 100000x.
he copied kurosawa in almost EVERY part of the movie. even dialogue....
Toshiro Mifune > Clint Eastwood by 1000000x also

Ugh, this is a trainwreck.

Both films are masterpieces. Mifune is a legend and Kurosawa is possibly the greatest director who ever lived, but saying Yojimbo (one of my favourite films) totally eclipses A Fistful of Dollars is pretty retarded, as is trying to discredit how good Eastwood was/is.

I can't respect a film in which a director literally steals the plot, the words, and the characters....
Leone himself said Eastwood was a horrible actor.

Sure, he did something different, and improvised the dialogue most of the time by saying nothing. But look at his track record compared to Mifunes....

Mifune is one of the greatest actors in the history of cinema. Eastwood doesn't even crack the top 25.

I'm not going to trash talk your opinion anymore though. you have yours and I have mine.
In my opinion, "Once upon a Time in the West", and possibly "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly" are the only Leone films that could be considered masterpieces....

By that logic you'd say that The Magnificent Seven was no good. And we all know that that is one sweet a** movie.

I have to question the amount of foreign language movies on the list. I see foreign language movies a lot and some of my favourite movies are foreign language. However I would question how thoroughly you can analyse a movie without speaking the language. The main difficulty is acting, in that it is very difficult for a non speaker to recognise how good the acting really is. Sure you've still got the movement, expression and action, but a lot of acting comes straight out in the way the dialogue is spoken. In addition to that it's also very difficult to get a good idea of the writing given that what you're reading is a subtitled translation, which often works under the assumption that the viewer will not really require it to be true to life dialogue if they are reading it. With these things in mind I think it is very easy to get carried away with praise for foreign language films when really what we're seeing is only a fraction of the whole. It's the same sort of problem that I have with translated literature. Sure War and Peace is a great read, but you're not really reading Tolstoy unless you read it in Russian, are you?

This is not to say that one can't think foreign language films are good (as I say there are four or five in my top 20) but I think it is much easier to think they're flawless and revolutionary than it is with English language films where we see each tiny crack that is exposed.

It would take a while, but I guess that I could come up with a top 100. It would have to be in no particular order, as different films mean different things to me.

Stopped reading here.

Your top 100 list is very, very good. However, I'm surprised you can't grasp the concept of a remake.
Show me where Akira Kurosawa signed over the rights for Leone to make the film. It wasn't a remake. It was all stolen. Kurosawa even sued Leone and won....

The Magnificent Seven is a great movie. Kurosawa was even so impressed he sent John Sturges a ceremonial sword after viewing the film.

By that logic you'd say that The Magnificent Seven was no good. And we all know that that is one sweet a** movie.

I have to question the amount of foreign language movies on the list. I see foreign language movies a lot and some of my favourite movies are foreign language. However I would question how thoroughly you can analyse a movie without speaking the language. The main difficulty is acting, in that it is very difficult for a non speaker to recognise how good the acting really is. Sure you've still got the movement, expression and action, but a lot of acting comes straight out in the way the dialogue is spoken. In addition to that it's also very difficult to get a good idea of the writing given that what you're reading is a subtitled translation, which often works under the assumption that the viewer will not really require it to be true to life dialogue if they are reading it. With these things in mind I think it is very easy to get carried away with praise for foreign language films when really what we're seeing is only a fraction of the whole. It's the same sort of problem that I have with translated literature. Sure War and Peace is a great read, but you're not really reading Tolstoy unless you read it in Russian, are you?

This is not to say that one can't think foreign language films are good (as I say there are four or five in my top 20) but I think it is much easier to think they're flawless and revolutionary than it is with English language films where we see each tiny crack that is exposed.
I strongly disagree with you. Sure, you're right about the Tolstoy theory. But film is a different art altogether.
Look at the silent era. In these films, body language and human emotions are more important than anything else. Human emotions are something every human understands. Take "La Strada" for instance. Everyone can understand the lonliness, sadness, and humor in it. See for yourself.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMl_JFpBoAc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FMhJ2A2IDQ

The thing with silent movies is that they were technologically limited. As soon as dialogue could be recorded and synced then silent movies died out. Comparing foreign language movies to silent movies in terms of levels of comprehension defeats your point- the dialogue was added to enhance the film, if you can dismiss it out of hand then clearly it is not doing it's job.

As I said before, I am not trying to belittle foreign language films (and yes, I can understand the themes of loneliness et al) but what I am trying to say is that there are many different components to a film and a large chunk of them are missing when you watch a movie which is in a language that you don't speak.

Show me where Akira Kurosawa signed over the rights for Leone to make the film. It wasn't a remake. It was all stolen. Kurosawa even sued Leone and won....

The Magnificent Seven is a great movie. Kurosawa was even so impressed he sent John Sturges a ceremonial sword after viewing the film.

A remake can be official or unofficial. It was a homage, not theft. A masterpiece in a different setting. Kurosawa sued him, yet he said himself it was a very fine film. That should tell you something.

Okay, that took a long time, and it wasn't easy narrowing it to 100. And, it's kind of arbitrary, as far as the exact order is concerned. Also, this wasn't exactly extensively researched. I just used boxofficemojo's box office tallies for the last 30 years, and they only list the top box office films (and we all know that there are some wonderful films that don't make money). So, this list does not include anything before 1980, nor very many foreign films, documentaries, or anything else that didn't have any major box-office draw in the last 30 years.

Wow, that's a lot of qualifiers. So, with no further ado (drumroll, please), my Top-100 List (with all above qualifiers):

1 Avatar
2 The Matrix
3 Forrest Gump
4 Shawshank Redemption
5 Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
6 Wall-E
7 Gladiator
8 Jurassic Park
9 Dark Knight
10 Pulp Fiction
11 The Big Lebowski
12 The Empire Strikes Back
13 Terminator 2
14 Spiderman 2
15 Star Trek (2009)
16 Million Dollar Baby
17 Scent of a Woman
18 The 40 Year-Old Virgin
19 The Bourne Identity
20 Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
21 Aliens
22 The Nightmare Before Christmas
23 Ray
24 Children of Men
25 Team America: World Police
26 Inglorious Basterds
27 28 Days Later
28 Toy Story 3
29 Signs
30 King Kong
31 Kill Bill, vol. 1
32 Raiders of the Lost Ark
33 Ratatouille
34 Transformers
35 Hero
36 Zombieland
37 The Soloist
38 Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
39 The Silence of the Lambs
40 Return of the Jedi
41 The Departed
42 Pan's Labrynth
43 Lord of the Rings: Return of the King
44 Scarface
45 Tropic Thunder
46 Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
47 Little Miss Sunshine
48 Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
49 Juno
50 Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy
51 Toy Story
52 Slumdog Millionaire
53 Groundhog Day
54 Amistad
55 Brokeback Mountain
56 Liar, Liar
57 Cast Away
58 12 Monkeys
59 Good Will Hunting
60 Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
61 Sideways
62 Rushmore
63 Master and Commander
64 The Road Warrior
65 Dodgeball
66 Die Hard
67 The Fugitive
68 About a Boy
69 As Good as it Gets
70 Training Day
71 Saving Private Ryan
72 Deathproof
73 Thank You for Not Smoking
74 South Park – Bigger, Longer & Uncut
75 Revenge of the Sith
76 Batman Begins
77 Iron Man
78 Rocky IV
79 Swingers
80 Goonies
81 First Blood
82 Dazed and Confused
83 Fight Club
84 Braveheart
85 There Will Be Blood
86 The Sixth Sense
87 Superman II
88 Predator
89 Back to the Future
90 Oldboy
91 In the Line of Fire
92 Fletch
93 The Lion King
94 Robocop
95 Schindler's List
96 Inception
97 Shrek
98 Malcom X
99 The Usual Suspects
100 Se7en

Last edited:
Love the typo on 73! :D

I have to say that, whilst I disagree with a fair chunk of this list, it's definitely an honest representation of what films you like. I see a lot of your character that I see around the forums coming through in this list, rather than just the generic titles that everyone expects people to like...

Film taste can be all opinion, but really I have thousands of films to watch before I can really make a noteworthy top 100 list....

very nice list, i bookmarked it. i hate to say the only fellini picture i've seen is 8 1/2, though i loved it. I'm surprised that you listed quite a few godard flicks (the only ones that i've really enjoyed) but you're forgetting PIERROT LE FOU!! have you seen it? I'd say it's my favorite godard.

About synecdoche new york, i watched it for the first time the other day and wasn't that impressed.. but i'm not a big fan of charlie kaufman. acutally the only other picture of his i've seen is eternal sunshine. I know they're complicated and there were probably some things i was missing. Once SNY got to the end i could appreciate it more. The theme was good, and it was fairly entertaining, but idk. I didnt get much out of it. and i LOVE phillip seymour hoffman AND Samantha morton (Mister Lonely, anyone?)

ps 400 blows, makes me blow my load. 400 times.

Is your list in order (meaning #1 is the best film you have seen)? Or is it just a top 100 in no particular order? Thanks.

Love the typo on 73! :D

I have to say that, whilst I disagree with a fair chunk of this list, it's definitely an honest representation of what films you like. I see a lot of your character that I see around the forums coming through in this list, rather than just the generic titles that everyone expects people to like...

What typo?! Oh, that one. Haha. :lol: What an awesome movie! Easily one of my favorite currently active directors.

Back