My night at the movies

So a friend was visiting Saturday. I took my friend and my two small kids to see GHOSTRIDER (don't see this movie, you will feel really sad watching 50 yearold Nick Cage playing the edgy cool guy with a flaming skull).
4 movie tickets, 3 popcorns, and afterwards 4 medium yogurts at Pinkberry. $100 for the evening. Not worth it! Pinkberry is pretty good though.

My friend obliged me to sit through the first Ghostrider movie, an experience I don't relish repeating. You'd have to staple my scrotum to the chair to make me watch another one. Good to know I won't be missing anything. :D

See it!

Far superior than the first. Box Office sales speak for itself.

A brilliant back story to develop thw character of the demonn known as the Ghost Rider.

A better version of the Omen or Bloody Mallory about the coming of the antichrist.

Before there were demons, there were angels. All demons were once angels.

The only thing that would have made it better was if the boy was another Marvel Comics character, Dameon Hellstorm - Son of Satan.

Last edited:
Though I was bored to death by the first one, I actually like Nic Cage, and the trailer tempted me to watch the 2nd one. Rottentomatoes steered me away from it.

MDM, opening weekend box office is rarely anything more than a reflection of star-power and advertising. But you're right -- box office sales do speak volumes. In it's 2nd week, "Ghostrider 2" took a 60% dip (which ain't good), to fall to #6 on the charts, in a very non-competitive February, behind "Journey 2", "Safehouse", and "The Vow", all of which have been in the theaters a week longer than "Ghostrider 2", and none of which are getting particularly positive reviews. That is a reflection of very poor word-of-mouth.

BTW -- Brian, why are you buying 3 popcorns? That's what the giant refillable tub is for. :)

See, as a fan of really awful movies, I enjoyed the first Ghostrider. Nicholas Cage is one of the finest hammy actors around, doubly so because he has a good sense of when the movie is atrocious, and he needs to turn it up a notch. See also: the Wicker Man remake, and one of my favorite films of all time: Vampire's Kiss!

I didn't think GHOSTRIDER I was awful -- had some fun to it, but I thought G2 really bottomed out, due in part that Nick Cage just looked so pitifully old, slow, and deflated. I don't think he's right for this part any more. I like Cage, but he just looked really worn out, especially compared to his adversary, Johnny Whitworth, who played the guy that makes you rot. This guy however was the best thing in the movie: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/celebrity/idris_elba/

I think he's up to his eyeballs in debt, so he takes d@mn near any job that pays remotely well.
Laughing all the way to the bank with "a little check" here and there, and there, and again, and over here, etc...

Peeps are getting away from the important observation of the OP... $100 for 2 peeps & 2 kids, to see a movie (of dubious quality) and have a light snack. :huh:

I'm quite willing to wait four weeks, or less, to see this when it hits the local dollar theater... with all eight digital projection screens & four 3D screens. (They also have quite a good deal on a hotdog, soda & popcorn. It's like $6 or sumthin', and usually tied to a specific movie theme)

In the same vein as "Don't pay to go see 3D movies, if you don't like paying for them"... stop paying full ticket price for questionable content, when the exact same experience happens less than a month later for a fraction of the price.

You'll end up spending far more time at the cinema, too... 'cos you can afford to. :cool:

Peeps are getting away from the important observation of the OP... $100 for 2 peeps & 2 kids, to see a movie (of dubious quality) and have a light snack. :huh:

I know, to take your family to the movies a couple times a month is equivalent to a car payment practically.

I'm a tight bastard.
I'll wait four months or more for it to come out for free at the public library.
I love DVD extras.

Back