• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

My most important lesson in storytelling

I was thinking about the winner of 48 hour film festival for 2011, here in seattle, and there is one thing that completely blew me away when I finally understood WHY that guy won.

His short film was taking place at the department store, and the story was about a paint brush being in love with a bucket of pink paint. A customer was looking for some paint, and bought that pink paint bucket. He brought the paint back home, and started painting the wall, but the paint kept turning blue, instead of pink.
So the man went back to the store, and bought the brush, that was hanging next to the paint bucket. Brush and paint reunited and they lived happily every after.

The short film gave me shivers as I watched it, because I was sooo into the sotry, and after the movie the audience went crazy with the applause!

After the show I had a chance to talk to that filmmaker about the story, and, of course, my very first question was "What the f**k is your secret!"

He explained his process to me - and I was blown away on how simple it was.

My process was very typical beginner mistake. As soon as I got the info for the movie requirements, I sprinted back home, and tried to come up with a story that had the required elements. In two houirs we had a short screenplay.

What the AWESOME filmmaker did, is that he asked one question to his crew: how do we want people FEEL as the watch the movie. That's it. After they figured that out, the screenplay just wrote itself.

Now, when I try to type out my steamy small piles of poop, i ask myself "what do I want the viewer/reader to feel in this scene/paragraph?"

I think THAT is the key to success, and thats what separates youtube type of videos from sundance, and that's the hardest portion of film making, that golden nugget - how to make you FEEL.

anyways, just my thoughts and observations.. felt like typing it out of my head. About to highlight and press "Delete", but I will post it instead. Maybe some other new filmmaker will stumble upon this post :)

Well, yeah. It's called the storyteller/audience relationship. Storytelling is a process of constant one-way communication from storyteller to audience where the storyteller uses his/her story information and how he/she communicates it to create a desired emotional or mental experience from the audience. You got to be guide, shepherd, and puppetmaster, but before you guide them, you got to know where you want them to go.

It always comes down to the audience's emotion...

Here is one of the greates short films ever imho. The english voiceover takes away from the more drastic sarcasm of the original, but nevertheless it is a masterpiece. If you watch it, you will definitely feel many different emotions - all of them related to your connection to the many points made in it...

Ilha Das Flores
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2855736949121066289#

Last edited:
]how do we want people to FEEL as they watch the movie.

]what do I want the viewer/reader to feel in this scene/paragraph?"

)

You've changed the question. To include reader, and from movie to scene/paragraph.

You've cluttered it up. But that's what the cyber catch cries do. They give you a lingo, and a two dimensional rationale.

Readers and scenes/paragraphs don't come into it.

Back