My Learning Curve

Me and my friend trying to make a movie, and he spent 2 weeks already reading about how to make movies.. So I just wanted to write out some of my thoughts.

Some new people (like myself) that are interested in movie making come here with an idea that in order to make a good movie you've got to have crazy priced video camera, and $5k worth of attachements to it..

So, after looking at all the prices for camera, I had to ask myself as do I see myself "making" short films, and spending lots of time online reading about different camera, learn small details about lenses, filters, video editing software....

OR

do I just want to set up a basic three point lightning set out of home table lamps, turn on small consumer camera, and start MAKING a short film? Yes, it will not have Spieilberg quality, and people will just say "that was pretty good", or "dude.. that was crap" after watching the video.

Now I wish when I started people around about what is the best camera to begin filming - the answer was "The one with the record button on it"..

Anyways, just my thoughts about how i'm getting into filmmaking.. Starting shooting, the rest are coming along the way.

Give Spielberg an iPod nano and 3 lamps and he'd make something that would look great and thrill you just as if he had a million dollar iMax camera.

Get a camera and start fiddling with it and MAKE A MOVIE.

It's not the equipment you have, it's how you use it.

It all comes down to "what is the essence of a great movie."

A great script.

Solid acting.

Solid cinematography.

Solid sound. (and never, ever forget - "Sound is half of the experience")

Good audio and visual editing.

Good score/music.

Rap and techno were created by talented people who started two new genres of music with the technological cast-offs of the rest of the music world. They took that gear and used it in unique ways to create something new and different.

So many are obsessed with getting the latest greatest toys; "I could do it if I only had..." Instead, tailor your project to your available tools. You're not going to make "Star Wars", "Avatar" or any other high tech, high budget film with a camcorder and iMovie. But you can make a good drama, comedy or documentary on a minimal budget and the ability to make creative compromises. ("A craftsman knows how to avoid mistakes; an artist knows how to use them.") It all comes down to talent and immense amounts of preproduction - and knowing your gear inside/out. What can it do? What can't it do? And don't inhibit yourself by wanting to do it all yourselves; there are plenty of other up-and-coming folks with talents you don't have - take advantage of them.

Your first projects are going to suck. That's why you do them, to learn.

Just get a cheap camera and start making movies. I don't care how creative you are -- you're not gonna just step in and instantly be awesome, as a filmmaker. There's a lot for you to learn, and practice. So just have fun with it, and apply yourself to always trying new things. Expensive equipment ain't gonna magically make your movies good.

Work on your skills. Build up your equipment over time. As your skills become better, that's when you'll feel the need for better equipment.

Im in the same boat. Iv got my cheap'o camera and mic and thats it. Sure its nice to sit around and wish you had this and that but im finding its much more fun to use what you have and make what you need. Im currently building a jib/crane and a 35mm adapter. The good thing about building things like a jib/crane and stabilizer is you can modify them any way you want.

How does one learn to play the piano? Buy sitting at the
instrument with Mozart's Piano Concerto No. 21 in C major, K.

How does one become an excellent auto mechanic? Buy buying a top
of the line Ferrari and the best tools.

I can never understand why people feel they can read about
filmmaking for two weeks, buy the "best" camera and all the needed
filmmaking equipment and that will make them a good filmmaker.

dlevanchuk, you've already discovered the ONLY way to become a
good filmmaker. Make movies. Make a LOT of movies. Don't try to
make the "best" short film. Make the movie YOU can make. and then
make more.

Even if it takes you two YEARS and you make 20 shorts that isn't a
bad thing. I often get the impression from forums and speaking to
new filmmakers in person that taking the time to learn is not even
an option for many people.

Now I wish when I started people around about what is the best camera to begin filming - the answer was "The one with the record button on it"..
This is what I always tell people just starting. Not only do most
people just starting NOT want to hear this, I get opposition from
my fellow filmmakers - even right here in indietalk. Each
filmmaker chooses their own path and most advocate the path they
took. I started with a crappy camera and learned by making a LOT
of crappy films. So that's MY advice.

I admire your thoughts on this, dlevanchuk. You are on the right
road to learning what it takes to make a great film.

Back