My "Indie" Superhero Movie!

Film Screening!!!!!!

Hello Again,

The time has FINALLY come to tell you all some VERY BIG NEWS…

SIDEKICK IS (nearly) DONE!

No, really, it is.

In fact, it’s so close to done that I can announce this…

SIDEKICK FUNDRAISER PREVIEW SCREENING!
Monday June 13, 2005
Isabel Bader Theatre
93 Charles Street West
(Between Bay & Queen's Park Circle @ Museum Subway Station)
8:00 P.M. SHARP (doors open at 7 P.M.)
Minimum Donation: $10.00 (payable at the door)
Tickets available exclusively through www.sidekickmovie.com

For those of you that reside in Toronto, this is a great chance for you to come out and support a true Indie in every sense of the word. Seriously, this was shot on weekends, financed on favours and credit cards, made by talented, passionate people - the whole works. And you know what? It actually turned out to be a real kickass little movie. It's a testament to the fact that people outside the system have the ability to make competitive, exciting productions.

So how do I get tickets for me and all my family and friends?

The website only. There’s a link on the main page of the website (www.sidekickmovie.com) to a screening-ticket request page. The request form is self explanatory.

If you've never been to the Isabel Bader Theatre, you’re in for a real treat. It’s a gorgeous place to hold a screening. So I wouldn’t wait too long to reserve your seat. These things have a way of selling out pretty fast.

See you at the screening!

I'll be there for sure!
(I'm at Spadina and Bloor)

Love the concept and the trailer!! Look forward to seeing this gem!!

Big news: SIDEKICK'S FUNDRAISER PREVIEW SCREENING IS NOW SOLD OUT!!

and there's a waiting list for seats. craziness.

and there's some more news coming real soon, too. very cool news at that.

holy moly, does it ever feel magical to stand up on stage in front of a gorgeous, completely sold out, 500 seat theatre and introduce a movie you've taken 2 years of your life to make. a movie that's taken every cent of credit on your visa, mastercard, american express and line of credit to produce.

but you know what feels even more magical than that? 500 people laughing at all the right spots, cheering out loud at all the right moments and applauding their brains out at the end. yes, monday night's screening of SIDEKICK was a huge success. it appears there is an audience for an indie superhero movie after all.

i finally remember why i wanted to make movies in the first place. to move people. to move myself. to feel like being here is worth it.

i will be holding a second fundraiser screening sometime in the near future. i turned away quite a few people and god knows i could use help with my minimum payments. i'll post more info when i have it.

I missed the screening because of the TFC48!! I slept right through it (60 hours of no sleep tends to do that!!).

Glad your screening went well! I can't wait to see it! Please keep us up to date on the next screening, and I'll make sure I don't get involved in any festivals!!!

A piece of very awesome news....

and i haven't sent out the press release yet, so you all are the first to know...

FOCUS FEATURES, universal pictures' specialty arm, has purchased remake rights to sidekick!

and they're paying me to do at least one rewrite on the screenplay!

woo friggin' hoo!!!

so what does this mean for the original picture?

interesting question. and it's also the reason why it took over 6 months to negotiate the deal. as of today, i still own distribution rights to the original picture. but only for the time being. a year from now focus has the right to step in and buy any remaining territories for a price. so essentially i've got a year to get sidekick out there and sold in as many territories as possible.

why didn't focus buy the original version outright?

they might have, but i don't think it would have been their intention to distribute it. after all, they were interested mainly in remaking it and they've never distributed a true indie before. i didn't want the movie to be buried. it took me 2 years to make. all my friends and family pitched in. i couldn't watch all of that be relegated to a shelf. plus, i actually think the movie turned out to be pretty good. focus' offer came very early in post after reading the screenplay and seeing a very very early rough cut. i think they'll be surprised how great it looks and sounds now.

how did it happen? did i have a contact there or something?

nope. total blind submission of the rough cut to their acquisitions department. well over a month later i got a call telling me that they thought the movie was a lot of fun, but that they loved the concept and writing the most. i jumped around my apartment after the call. a month later an offer arrived. i jumped around my apartment again. then the reality of negotiating a deal set in. thank god for my agent (although i'm sure she's thanking someone for me now, too). i've learned so so much about the business of making movies since deciding to write & produce sidekick in june of 2003. and now i'm poised to actually make a career out of this. possibly.

now it's time to get sidekick out to film fests and distribs and get going on the rewrite.

craziness, huh?

www.sidekickmovie.com

thanks gents. yeah, it's pretty exciting. but it's also kinda weird. i just went from being the boss on sidekick to being an employee on sidekick. it's not that i didn't listen to other people's advice while making the original film, but the final word always rested with me. not any more. still, like i said, it is exciting. thanks again for all your well wishes.

Did you shoot with that small sony pdx10 dvcam? Im thinking of getting the same camera if that is the case.

we looked at the pdx10 but found it didn't have the range we were looking for and that it was too light for our purposes - ie. it was incompatible with our steadicam. we ended up renting the Sony DSR-570WS. it's a much bigger, heavier, pro-sumer camera that shoots in a beautiful 16x9.

Wow, it's been a long time since I posted in this forum. And so much has happened in the world of SIDEKICK.

In a nutshell...

It went on to play in like a dozen fests, winning a couple of awards......

It was blown up to glorious 35mm...

It toured across Canada, playing in theatres in 8 Canadian cities from coast-to-coast...

It got a Canadian distributor (Maple) and was released on DVD...

It then moved to PayTV...

It got a worldwide sales agent (Shoreline) and went to market...

It sold in Russia, India, Israel, Middle East and now...

BEYOND SUPER BIG NEWS!!!

SIDEKICK IS COMING TO DVD IN THE U.S.A.!!!

That's right, on June 10th, Warner Home Video will be releasing our dark, awesome, cool, original superhero movie in the good ole U.S. of A. I can't believe it. This is truly a dream come true. It's been almost 5 years of hard work (honestly, check out my posts!!!), but it was all worth it!

Check it out on Warner's site: http://whv.warnerbros.com/WHVPORTAL/....jsp?OID=49450

Dig that DVD box art!?

THIS WAS A MOVIE FINANCED ON CREDIT CARDS!!

Honestly, I'm over-the-moon with excitement.

It's already available on Amazon.com for pre-order: http://www.amazon.com/Sidekick-Std-D...dp/B00180OU5M/

For more info, check out the official site:
www.sidekickmovie.com

Back