• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch My Getty Images Mishmash entry

Voted. :cool:

That was a whirlwind (pun intended :lol: ) of a mashup. Do you have a method to sifting through footage to find what you need? Or is the story more fluid allowing greater use of what you have to start with?

Last edited:
Thanks Ernest and Zen!

Voted. :cool:

That was a whirlwind (pun intended :lol: ) of a mashup. Do you have a method to sifting through footage to find what you need? Or is the story more fluid allowing greater use of what you have to start with?

lol:P

Thanks for asking, Steve! I think the hardest thing about finding and cutting stock footage is definitely the wide range of possibilities. I started searching music first, came up with a couple pieces, vacillated between the *feel* of each, began searching imagery, would use the 'find similar clips' option many. many times. Finally found that one image (girl with balloon) and built upon that. I did do a fair amount of compositing to get the imagery I wanted (some good, some not so, lol). I also punned shots from the original classic, Le Ballon Rouge. To address your second question, Steve, I used a pretty simple structure which definitely allowed me a greater range for interpretation: the windy beginning of a storm, the gusty rains of the storm's spiral arm, into the calm of the eye, out the other side of the rainy spiral, and, finally, the end of storm...those were my parameters.

I had a blast and would recommend everyone give it a try. You get up to 70 files to use and, unlike other comps, Getty will allow you to include the final piece in your portfolio, but you cannot use the imagery for another project. I think this access is perfect for anyone from editor to sound designer. I mean, some of these clips can range in price from a couple hundred bucks to thousands(!!!) depending on it's use, of course.

Back