My first week with filmmaking

Huh????? I don't get it…..

I started out as a performing musician and then went into music engineering before migrating to audio post. When working as a music engineer I did a lot of rap and hip-hop. When a new piece of gear arrived in the studio I would make beats so I could learn the new toy.

When I upgrade my software I do the same thing - play with my new toys. A few years ago I was playing with my new soft synths and expanded MIDI capabilities and made a few "beats." Now, this is the reverse of what you do, but at least there's some logic behind it. I used CC01 public domain footage, eliminated the interviews and commentary, and put it on the beats. Since I was learning new things I was going "Back To School and "Back To Basics" which became the names of the beats. A contrast of my current completely computer generated sounds and the audio craft 50 of years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIfPjlRHfnU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAq4SZDL-fg

That's great you have a lot of excitement.
You should challenge yourself next time to have a moving subject.

Animal or human or something.. practice your editing on something that moves.

Huh????? I don't get it…..

I started out as a performing musician and then went into music engineering before migrating to audio post. When working as a music engineer I did a lot of rap and hip-hop. When a new piece of gear arrived in the studio I would make beats so I could learn the new toy.

When I upgrade my software I do the same thing - play with my new toys. A few years ago I was playing with my new soft synths and expanded MIDI capabilities and made a few "beats." Now, this is the reverse of what you do, but at least there's some logic behind it. I used CC01 public domain footage, eliminated the interviews and commentary, and put it on the beats. Since I was learning new things I was going "Back To School and "Back To Basics" which became the names of the beats. A contrast of my current completely computer generated sounds and the audio craft 50 of years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIfPjlRHfnU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAq4SZDL-fg

Your music is pretty good! I love it.:thumbsup:

just some ideas for you, you could try shooting a product video?

a clean white or black background, practice playing with lights (use any you have like a lamp) and shoot something maybe like shoes or a watch

or try making a simple basic story, it can be as easy as filming you getting the items and making a sandwich (beginning = retrieving ingredients, middle = making the sandwich, end = finished sandwich)

to be honest your doing great, the biggest thing to overcome for most is procrastination but you just keep working, if you keep learning and practicing you'll be great

just some ideas for you, you could try shooting a product video?

a clean white or black background, practice playing with lights (use any you have like a lamp) and shoot something maybe like shoes or a watch

or try making a simple basic story, it can be as easy as filming you getting the items and making a sandwich (beginning = retrieving ingredients, middle = making the sandwich, end = finished sandwich)

to be honest your doing great, the biggest thing to overcome for most is procrastination but you just keep working, if you keep learning and practicing you'll be great

I was very touched when I received your encouragement. Your previous comments have helped me a lot. Thank you very veryy much. I will try to make quality videos coming soon! Hope you will also be there and feel my progress <3

To be honest with you, this is way too soon to be calling these completed films.

I applaud you for grabbing the camera for the first time. But if you bake a batch of cookies for the first time, you're not ready to open a bakery. What I mean is, it's great to post all these. And ask for critique. But save the titles and calling them films for when you actually have a film. I'd be much more interested in seeing your "first film" after some practice and advice here, instead of calling everything thing you do a film. Because it's practice. And people are going to tire quickly of watching when you could be building suspense (assuming your goal is a "real" film).

Best of luck.

yeah if we want to be real you haven't made your first film yet.
this was just b roll right ?

so what do we call this other stuff that we practice with.. like i remember when i shot something just to practice editing, there was no story at all. can you really call that a film.. someone just walking around. most people would say no especially since it wasn't intended to tell any sort of story.

yet it is sequential picture and sound

He's using the term b-roll as part of his branding, this is not all b-roll footage these are his films. Maybe he thinks it means there's no acting.

To be honest with you, this is way too soon to be calling these completed films.

I applaud you for grabbing the camera for the first time. But if you bake a batch of cookies for the first time, you're not ready to open a bakery. What I mean is, it's great to post all these. And ask for critique. But save the titles and calling them films for when you actually have a film. I'd be much more interested in seeing your "first film" after some practice and advice here, instead of calling everything thing you do a film. Because it's practice. And people are going to tire quickly of watching when you could be building suspense (assuming your goal is a "real" film).

Best of luck.

Dear you!
I want to start with B-roll footage first. Because one of the things that made me hold the camera up is b-roll. I also have my stories and I will make short films at the latest time. Thanks for your suggestions :P

yeah if we want to be real you haven't made your first film yet.
this was just b roll right ?

so what do we call this other stuff that we practice with.. like i remember when i shot something just to practice editing, there was no story at all. can you really call that a film.. someone just walking around. most people would say no especially since it wasn't intended to tell any sort of story.

yet it is sequential picture and sound

Yes! This was just b-roll footage!
I have a strange interest in b-roll. I will practice shooting them perfectly. And maybe then create a short film from b-roll. I also have ideas for my short film, but I still haven't finished it. It takes a lot of time for a movie, you know! I want what I posted on day 1 to improve and want viewers to see a good work. Thanks for your suggestions! I will try more!

Back