• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch My First T2i footage

Looks great, of course, Wheat. Especially the 60 fps (?) bits that I've never done with my 550D...

Now you've got to get something synced up with sound (unless my computer is mysteriously muted) because that's the part of DSLR filmmaking that's getting in my way.

Now you've got to get something synced up with sound (unless my computer is mysteriously muted) because that's the part of DSLR filmmaking that's getting in my way.

I think once you try it, Nick, you'll find that it's really quite easy (the syncing part -- overrall sound is something I find quite difficult). You don't even need a clapper. I usually sync to dialog -- any time somebody has a hard breathy consonant, like a T or a P.

I have a dual setup, the audio features of the ML software aren't that interesting to me, though, I may change my tune if I ever build up my ENG style rigging.

Color is just AE curves. Camera set to custom (natural, 0 sharp, 0 contrast, -2 saturation, -2 color)

The lens for these shots is the cheap o canon EOS 50mm 1.8 (I got that and a nikon 28mm for $120 from a pawn shop)

I have successfully mounted a follow focus gear on that lens (if you have the lens you know why this is a pain) a rubber band around the focus ring seems to be all that's needed. I may go for a more robust solution, but.. meh, its working now..

Camera is running ML firmware, I used an external monitor and the Magic Square zoom feature to focus, its OK.. still want to try it with my LCD Viewfinder that's on its way..

I setup last night (break in the rain) and did some night shooting, uninspiring to say the least, I need more interesting subjects, a black car on a black night on a black road.. whats to see.. ???

I think once you try it, Nick, you'll find that it's really quite easy (the syncing part -- overrall sound is something I find quite difficult). You don't even need a clapper. I usually sync to dialog -- any time somebody has a hard breathy consonant, like a T or a P.

I think you're right. It just intimidates me a wee bit.

Out of curiousity: Did you sync each clip you've shot, save them and then do a fluent edit with the synced shots or did you sync to necessity during the edit?

I think you're right. It just intimidates me a wee bit.

Out of curiousity: Did you sync each clip you've shot, save them and then do a fluent edit with the synced shots or did you sync to necessity during the edit?

If you're going to use Pluraleyes, you would sync everything in advance. Some people here on Indietalk love Pluraleyes. It has a free trial, so it's worth a try. Personally, I didn't like or want it. It actually has a few hoops you have to jump through to get it sync'd, and I didn't find it to be a time-saver, at all.

If you're going to sync yourself, you would edit with in-cam audio, first, then sync your external audio to your edited in-cam audio. That's how I did it anyway. Maybe other people have different methods that might work better for you.

Sorry for the off-topic, wheat, but I figured it's sort-of on-topic, cuz you'll be doing this soon, too.

Continuing in this sort-of-on-topic conversation:

I'm disinclined to edit with the in cam audio first, because that kind of defeats the point of me laboriously slating every shot :) But I also don't know whether I have the patience to sit down and sync all my shots, knowing that I'll not be using 19/20s of them... tricky business...

Iv only dont the sync sound once so far, it was easy as pie..

I did it this way..
In premiere I created a new sequence for each shot. dropped in the right sound file, align and trim. Lather, rinse repeat. Until all the shots have sync sound...

In the EDITING phase I would just use the synced sequences in place of the footage... worked for me..

Things I learned... BE SURE that both the sound AND video CUT when you say CUT. Trying to keep match multiple takes of either to the other ads a layer of confusion I don't need..

Continuing in this sort-of-on-topic conversation:

I'm disinclined to edit with the in cam audio first, because that kind of defeats the point of me laboriously slating every shot :) But I also don't know whether I have the patience to sit down and sync all my shots, knowing that I'll not be using 19/20s of them... tricky business...

Yeah, actually, I'm thinking this subject is deserving of a new thread -- to the best of my recollection, I haven't seen it discussed in detail.

BTW -- I did an audio slate for every shot of "Antihero", and I used none of them. Totally unneccessary. Visual record of shot, take, etc., is all you need (and like a dummy, I didn't do that -- thought I needed audio, but not visual).

Anyway, let's take this to a new thread. I'll start it right now.

Nice shots, wheat. Thanks for keeping us in the loop and up to speed. Like you I ordered my GH2 last week, and the wait begins. If I lose my patience I just might go T2i (or T3i)...but I have done some in depth research and really love the GH2 and will wait...heck it will help me get caught up with my reading - DSLR Cinema by Kurt Lancaster, nice intro to DSLR work and a great read.

Back