• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

My First Script

I wrote this script last night knowing next to nothing about writing scripts (including formatting) and I plan on shooting within the next few weeks. I feel I have greater 'talent' in the visual side of film making, but I know how important scripting is, hence this thread.

The plot isn't very exciting so if anything is going to make this a decent film, it will be the filming. I will shoot it in black and white with a hint of film noir. I would be very grateful to hear your opinions, tips on my incorrect formatting etc. as I know we have some talented writers here at Indietalk :yes: .

"A NEW BEGINNING"
(DRAFT ONE)
FADE IN

EXT. BIG BUILDING - NIGHT

Establishing shot of main character’s office. It is a dark, rainy night. The distant sound of traffic and sirens can be heard.

INT. DUFF’S OFFICE
DUFF is a lonely, usually introverted man who has been working for an unknown ‘businessman’ for a number of years. On his desk sits a knife, newspapers with ‘GANGLAND KILLING’ and ‘REVENGE OF THE UNDERWORLD’, photos of suspicious men in suits looking around and exchanging items before departing (among other things). Duff is asleep on his desk. His eyes slowly open.

V.O. DUFF
I woke up with my head in my hands. It had been a long day and the last thing I remembered was talking to my boss about a special job he had planned for me.

Duff’s eyes widen as he looks at his gold fob watch.

DUFF
Shit!

He quickly gets out of his chair, picks up his overcoat and a neatly wrapped present (discretely) complete with bow, and slams the office door behind him.

EXT. OUTSIDE DUFF’S OFFICE
He jumps in his car and the roller door of the office car park rolls up as the car drives away. The car drives under bridges, across highways, etc. Duff is obviously in a hurry to get to a mysterious destination.

INT. DIRTY TOILETS

We watch the feet of a woman in a long dress from under the door of a toilet. She is wearing stilettos and her feet shuffle from time to time, clicking against the tiles. We hear toilet paper being pulled from a roll and the toilet flushes. We pan back to see the door open and the woman walks past on the right. We never see past her waist. The toilets churn and gargle, they are in shocking condition.

INT. DUFF’S CAR

Duff is anxiously doing up his tie and adjusting his hair whilst he is driving at high speeds passing many angry drivers who are beeping their horns. He suddenly slams on the breaks and reverses. He pulls into a drive-in bottle shop.

DUFF
A bottle of your finest champagne.

INT. A cigarette is carefully taken from a cigarette box and placed between woman’s lips. A zippo lighter is held to the cigarette, flicks open and ignites cigarette first time with a puff of smoke.

EXT. ALLEYWAY
Duff’s car is at the far end of the dark, misty alleyway, driving towards us. The car stops in the middle of the alleyway and Duff jumps out. He runs to a fire exit door on the side of the alleyway.

INT. UNDERGROUND BAR
Duff runs down large sets of stairs. He finally gets to the bottom and opens a door in front of him.

Duff looks straight ahead at the woman sitting on a table, all alone. For the first time we see her face, side on. She is holding a cigarette in her hand and is gazing into oblivion. He can tell she is alone and in need of company. Duff turns back around to face the door. He has cold feet.

He breathes in deeply through his nose and turns back around to the direction of the woman. He walks towards her with determination. He is ready for the world.

DUFF
Happy birthday, birthday girl

He puts the present on the table with a smirk.

CREDITS ROLL
THE END

Last edited:
lux said:
DUFF is a lonely, usually introverted man who has been working for an unknown ‘businessman’ for a number of years.
You're writing it like a novel. Remember, you have to write for the screen. How do we know he's lonely? How do we know he's been working for a businessman for a number of years? How are you going to show that on the screen?

short critique...

lux said:
I wrote this script last night knowing next to nothing about writing scripts (including formatting) and I plan on shooting within the next few weeks. I feel I have greater 'talent' in the visual side of film making, but I know how important scripting is, hence this thread.

The plot isn't very exciting so if anything is going to make this a decent film, it will be the filming. I will shoot it in black and white with a hint of film noir. I would be very grateful to hear your opinions, tips on my incorrect formatting etc. as I know we have some talented writers here at Indietalk :yes: .

"A NEW BEGINNING"
(DRAFT ONE)
FADE IN

EXT. BIG BUILDING - NIGHT

Establishing shot of main character’s office. It is a dark, rainy night. The distant sound of traffic and sirens can be heard.

INT. DUFF’S OFFICE
DUFF is a lonely, usually introverted man who has been working for an unknown ‘businessman’ for a number of years. On his desk sits a knife, newspapers with ‘GANGLAND KILLING’ and ‘REVENGE OF THE UNDERWORLD’, photos of suspicious men in suits looking around and exchanging items before departing (among other things). Duff is asleep on his desk. His eyes slowly open.

V.O. DUFF
I woke up with my head in my hands. It had been a long day and the last thing I remembered was talking to my boss about a special job he had planned for me.

Duff’s eyes widen as he looks at his gold fob watch.

DUFF
Shit!

He quickly gets out of his chair, picks up his overcoat and a neatly wrapped present (discretely) complete with bow, and slams the office door behind him.

EXT. OUTSIDE DUFF’S OFFICE
He jumps in his car and the roller door of the office car park rolls up as the car drives away. The car drives under bridges, across highways, etc. Duff is obviously in a hurry to get to a mysterious destination.

INT. DIRTY TOILETS

We watch the feet of a woman in a long dress from under the door of a toilet. She is wearing stilettos and her feet shuffle from time to time, clicking against the tiles. We hear toilet paper being pulled from a roll and the toilet flushes. We pan back to see the door open and the woman walks past on the right. We never see past her waist. The toilets churn and gargle, they are in shocking condition.

INT. DUFF’S CAR

Duff is anxiously doing up his tie and adjusting his hair whilst he is driving at high speeds passing many angry drivers who are beeping their horns. He suddenly slams on the breaks and reverses. He pulls into a drive-in bottle shop.

DUFF
A bottle of your finest champagne.

INT. A cigarette is carefully taken from a cigarette box and placed between woman’s lips. A zippo lighter is held to the cigarette, flicks open and ignites cigarette first time with a puff of smoke.

EXT. ALLEYWAY
Duff’s car is at the far end of the dark, misty alleyway, driving towards us. The car stops in the middle of the alleyway and Duff jumps out. He runs to a fire exit door on the side of the alleyway.

INT. UNDERGROUND BAR
Duff runs down large sets of stairs. He finally gets to the bottom and opens a door in front of him.

Duff looks straight ahead at the woman sitting on a table, all alone. For the first time we see her face, side on. She is holding a cigarette in her hand and is gazing into oblivion. He can tell she is alone and in need of company. Duff turns back around to face the door. He has cold feet.

He breathes in deeply through his nose and turns back around to the direction of the woman. He walks towards her with determination. He is ready for the world.

DUFF
Happy birthday, birthday girl

He puts the present on the table with a smirk.

CREDITS ROLL
THE END

I guess if you're going to shoot this yourself, no problem with formatting... Who cares? If you were sending it out or extending it to a longer short or feature, then you'd be in big trouble...

IndieTalk is correct...

As an audience, how would we know the following?

a)DUFF is a lonely, usually introverted man who has been working for an unknown ‘businessman’ for a number of years.

--No way in the world we could know that simply by watching what you've written. If it's important for us to know that, SHOW US! Maybe he's lonely because his wife dumped him... Introverted because earlier, he couldn't ask the girl he gets coffee from every day for a date... You get the idea... The unknown businessman should call him or send him an email or something to show us that he does in fact work for him...

b)He jumps in his car and the roller door of the office car park rolls up as the car drives away. The car drives under bridges, across highways, etc. Duff is obviously in a hurry to get to a mysterious destination.

--How can we, the audience tell he's in a hurry? From your description, I would think he's just on a long drive... Maybe he should keep checking his watch, drive crazy, etc.

c)We watch the feet of a woman in a long dress from under the door of a toilet. She is wearing stilettos and her feet shuffle from time to time, clicking against the tiles. We hear toilet paper being pulled from a roll and the toilet flushes. We pan back to see the door open and the woman walks past on the right. We never see past her waist. The toilets churn and gargle, they are in shocking condition.

--Wow... This one really stumps me... LOL. Our hero is on his way to give some woman a birthday present. If you could show the shocking conditions of the toilet, I for one, could care less what the rest of the film is about from that point on... But, when your hero gives the girl a present I would sit there wondering WHY the scene showing the shocking conditions of the toilet. How does that move the story along? What purpose does it serve within the story? I can't figure it out from what you've written. Is someone in the toilet watching the woman's shoes? If so, WHY?

d)Duff is anxiously doing up his tie and adjusting his hair whilst he is driving at high speeds passing many angry drivers who are beeping their horns. He suddenly slams on the breaks and reverses. He pulls into a drive-in bottle shop.

--I don't know... I would rather see Duff drive like a maniac i.e., dodging other cars, running traffic lights, etc. You can show him screwing around with his tie and hair as he's running down the stairs or right before he enters the underground bar.

e)He can tell she is alone and in need of company.

--I'm glad Duff can tell all this after he enters the bar because I sure can't. LOL.

f)He walks towards her with determination. He is ready for the world.

--I guess a really good actor could walk this way... I'm just not sure if I, as an audience member could tell he's walking that way. I especially don't think I could tell Duff is ready for the world.

--But hey... It's your first script... Fix those little problems by setting up ways of showing all those feelings and we'll get it. Try to make your Hero show us and NOT tell us. We don't want to hear him say something like, "By golly, I'm ready for the world."

--I'm kidding of course but you would be surprised at how many would-be screenwriters do just this even after several scripts.

--From what you've written, I think you're going to need a lot more obstacles than the crazy driving... Set up a bunch of ever escalating problems Duff has to overcome to get to the underground bar... Make them funny and keep increasing the conflict and tension as he works toward his goal. make them happen fast and furious so he has to SPONTANEOUSLY figure out how to thwart them. Then, every time he makes a decision and it looks as though it was a good one, pull the rug out from under him and create an even larger obstacle. Make him climb that mountain...

--Finally, I'm not sure I'm buying the birthday thing... Maybe you should somehow set that up in the beginning... Maybe Duff could be just about ready to close a case or catch a bad guy when all of a sudden he remembers (something should probably remind him) about the girl's birthday. Make the setup clever. Don't use something cliche to jog his memory...

Good luck with it and congrats on your first script... It's all HARD WORK from here... LOL.

filmy

Thanks alot for your opinions guys, I can feel my scriptwriting eyes gradually opening. I'm amazed at how misleadingly they were closed. Hopefully I can make something of this script. I'm going to have a good look at the script and Filmy's points and see what I can do. I'll keep you posted as to my changes. Thanks again.

All your prose additions aside I don't see a story here? Maybe I'm wrong but some guy leaves his office after a nap, he's late, he's in a hurry, she's on the toilet, she smokes, he arrives with a birthday gift. Where's the story? If you need an excuse to shut down a major highway for a couple hours so you can hire a stunt driver to dodge some cars then this is your peice. Even if you throw more obsitcles in your gift givers way what does that prove except to say he's even more late? Did I miss something?

Boz Uriel said:
All your prose additions aside I don't see a story here? Maybe I'm wrong but some guy leaves his office after a nap, he's late, he's in a hurry, she's on the toilet, she smokes, he arrives with a birthday gift. Where's the story? If you need an excuse to shut down a major highway for a couple hours so you can hire a stunt driver to dodge some cars then this is your peice. Even if you throw more obsitcles in your gift givers way what does that prove except to say he's even more late? Did I miss something?

I understand the story doesn't have much of a plot, but that is what I want. This film is an excercise for me to test my editing/dp skills more then anything else. I figure since it lacks a strong storyline I will have to make the visuals that one bit better to keep the interest. There is little 'acting' in the sense of dialogue so I can focus on what happens on the screen. This is not a film with a strong message or meaning, nor is it about blocking a major highway off to have some hollywood car chase! :lol:

Back