• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

My first Script to sell - Sci-Fi or Drama?

I have no sold scripts, but I have one ready - Sci-Fi. As far as I know, I almost have no chances to sell it to a good producer with a lot of budget. As I know, Sci-Fi genre movies need a large budget, otherwise they just fail. So I need some portfolio to sell this script to a good producer.

On the other hand, I have a drama idea, a little similar to 8 mile. This story doesn't need much SFX, choreography, decorations, or anything not realistic. I think movies in this genre can be made at low budget and not get hurt.

So what do you suggest to begin with? A Sci-Fi script, or a drama about a Rapper and only then the Sci-Fi?

I don't think anyone can really answer this question for you. That's like someone telling you what path to take in life. Whatever script you write, it must be the very best script you can possibly write.

As for me, I didn't choose the script I'm currently writing. ...It chose me.

-Birdman

Keep these two stories for yourself.

Put a lot of honest effort into locating local (in Israel) film production companies looking for speculative screenplays to produce.
Basically, guys with cameras and no ideas of their own.
Find out what kinds of stories they want to spend their money on producing and start tailoring a story to meet their precise production needs matching the assets they have to utilize.

Last edited:
I don't think anyone can really answer this question for you. That's like someone telling you what path to take in life. Whatever script you write, it must be the very best script you can possibly write.

-Birdman

Keep these two stories for yourself.

Put a lot of honest effort into locating local (in Israel) film production companies looking for speculative screenplays to produce.
Basically, guys with cameras and no ideas of their own.
Find out what kinds of stories they want to spend their money on producing and start tailoring a story to meet their precise production needs matching the assets they have to utilize.

The two pieces of advice above are fantastic, I couldn't have said it better. +1 to what Birdman and Ray said.

Sci-Fi doesnt always have to have a big budget. If you can push your mind to tell a practical story that can be shot practically, but there is a compelling twist that is bizarre... the sci-fi element that changes the coarse of the story for the characters. Strong example (story and concept wise only) Inception- there were special effects- but much of it was shot practical. They had the budget to boot, but see if you can conceive a sci-fi story that doesn't require $160M to make..... (I made a 30min short ~ Psychological Drama/Thriller/Sci-fi) for a few hundred. We did good trying not to make it look like a few hundred on the budget... the main give away was sound..... some of the ADR really really coulda been better (if we had more time and more money, sure thing).

All that aside, hands down, I recommend you try sticking with Sci-fi... if it's what you're attracted to and love, you'll be able to pitch the script that much better. Besides, Sci-fi is the only genre that really is internationally transferable (and romance.....)- you'll have an easier time pitching a good sci-fi because there are more markets for this genre.

I didn't have much time before to say why Sci-Fi...

Of the two types of films, sci-fi films tend to get distribution where drama's usually only get a chance if you get an A List attached.

On the other hand, the budgets for sci-fi's are often really high due to the price of special effects.

If given only those two options, I'd suggest Sci-Fi. Though, if you can only write great drama or shitty sci-fi, then it's drama.

Thanks you for your advices.

I don't write for Israeli production companies, I'm targeting for Hollywood. Israeli don't shoot Sci-Fi films, because there is low budget.

All low budget Sci-Fi films I saw, were shit. Sci-Fi is not only about the story, but also about what we see. It's supposed to look good, and to have good special effects as well.

Sci-Fi is all about the story. You can have a sci-fi story without a lot of special effects.

If you're writing it, you get to choose what happens, right?

I'm actually almost finishing it. It has some Sci-Fi content, as well as action and fighting. There is a parallel world with its own technology, like in the Thor movie (not Asgaard ofc.). The story goes both in ours and the fictional worlds. To be honest, its a mix of Sci Fi and Fantasy. I think it does need money to fit the modern level.

Sounds similar, though significantly different to an idea I threw around about 6 months ago.

Look at a TV show called Sliders. It's really dated but it can show you how you can do Sci-Fi on a smaller budget. Even Back to the Future comes to mind.

There's a local guy who made some sci-fi movies. I'm sure his budget was no more than 5 figures and that was with completely built sets.

Here's an idea. Write your top end Sci-fi movie. Attach Tom Cruise or Will Smith (or equally appropriate A list Talent). Trust me, it'll sell. These days it's rare to get a high budget movie financed without A list talent or a brand (eg Harry Potter, Hunger Games book series).

I don't write for Israeli production companies, I'm targeting for Hollywood. Israeli don't shoot Sci-Fi films, because there is low budget.

All low budget Sci-Fi films I saw, were shit. Sci-Fi is not only about the story, but also about what we see. It's supposed to look good, and to have good special effects as well.

You have good advice already here.

You do understand that Hollywood-level Sci-Fi special effects, think I Robot, are hugely expensive.

Many first time screenwriters pick Sci-Fi. You're just asking for an even more hugely uphill battle (trying to break in) picking that genre unless you have a GREAT STORY that is original and what the market wants AND (a) you keep the budget ultra-low or (b) you can shoot it yourself or have contacts who will film it with you or you're exceptionally lucky and land a sale.

First time screenwriters who land a Hollywood sale are very rare. First time screenwriters with Sci-fi specs who land a Hollywood sale are even rared still.

Watch Another Earth. Budget around $500k and did multi-millions at the box office. Story was okay but very original, the hook and twist were great.

Another Earth
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1549572/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Last edited:
Watch Another Earth. Budget around $500k and did multi-millions at the box office. Story was okay but very original, the hook and twist were great.

Another Earth
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1549572/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Well, it did only 1 million at the box office, not multi-millions. However, its director got some good awards.

I watched it, and what I want to say, is this movie is not really a Sci-Fi. I mean, it is Sci-Fi, because of its idea, concept and story... but the movie is about people who try to escape their terrible pasts. Sci-Fi here is what I call - Off Screen setting. We don't actually see anything Sci-fictional there.

Nevertheless, it is a great movie for 200k budget.

science fiction (sci-fi) is a form of fiction that draws imaginatively on scientific knowledge and speculation in its plot, setting, theme, etc.

AnotherEarth3.jpg

That pretty much looks like a sci-fi shot to me...

As for you comment "the movie is about people who try to escape their terrible pasts. "
Yes I agree. Thats exactly what the movie was about.

Start Wars is about daddy issues.

WallE is a love story

Dune is about self discovery

sci-fi is the SETTING for the story, it is NOT the story. The scene is never about what the scene is about. Your a writer you should know this.

sci-fi is the SETTING for the story, it is NOT the story. The scene is never about what the scene is about.

I know that. I agree that Another Earth IS a Sci-Fi. The Sci-Fi I'm writing, for example, is about the struggle between individuality and commonality.

What I meant to say, is that it is quite different from our traditional understanding of Sci-Fi.

For example, Jedi in Star Wars fight with light sabers.

In Prometheus, Aliens and Predator we see alien living forms.

In Stargate we see different planets, folks, technologies.

In all the above, we are surrounded by fictional settings, ON screen. In Another Earth, however, we see nothing "unusual", except for the image of the other Earth on the sky. I think this is very unique.

Last edited:
Big-budget science fiction (or films that require heavy amounts of singing) are difficult to sell. What's even harder is selling it to Hollywood. I know this might seem rude, but you're NOT going to get this script sold unless you cut out the special effects and try to sell it to some of the "smaller guys".

Well, it did only 1 million at the box office, not multi-millions. However, its director got some good awards.

To get even a million is fantastic.

Big-budget science fiction (or films that require heavy amounts of singing) are difficult to sell. What's even harder is selling it to Hollywood. I know this might seem rude, but you're NOT going to get this script sold unless you cut out the special effects and try to sell it to some of the "smaller guys".

That was my question at the first post: should I write a screenplay in different genre, which is a drama about a Rap singer? If I do, I can sell this script to some of the "smaller guys", without being afraid that they screw it up because of low budget. I mean, dramas usually don't require large investments, as Sci-Fis do. And if the movie succeeds, I will have more options of who to sell the script to, ignoring the "smaller guys".

Last edited:
Back