My first proper 'yes!!!!!'

So I have been part of other projects which have had screenings at fests and even one which was in a beautiful, private invitation-only film fest. It was a Chinese-focused film fest and the spring rolls will live long in the memory.

Anyhow, I wanted to get in off my own bat so last year wrote and shot a short which I started entering into film tests for this year. After a couple of rejections, it has just been accepted into the London Indie FF and I am absolutely delighted.

I am delighted because the London Indie is full of crazy, weird but always entertaining, low / no-budget shorts. Also, the cinema is pretty close to the Centre of London and has loads of good pubs nearby. And most importantly, it is a quick cab ride back to my girlfriends place which is essential after a couple of pints (or more...).

For me, this is the ideal festival.

So where are you with your festival submissions at the moment?

Just discovered this fest is full of professionals!!!!! Their catering budgets were more than the cost of my entire short!

The guy whose short is playing just before mine is a professional director. His trailer looks absolutely beautiful, sounds 'perfect,' has been shot on something seriously expensive (the cinematography is gorgeous) and with actors who have a following. One of his actors has a Facebook page with 5,000 likes. I don't even have a FB page!!!!!

Now I've seen the 'competition,' I am wondering how the h@ll my little short shot on a Nikon has been allowed in the door! I feel like a complete imposter! These others are so, ridiculously good and they have spent fortunes on their shorts.

It's playing on the 10th April. Think I'll hide at the back...

Well done I hope you get alot of good networking experiences and enjoy it. Fingers crossed i'll get in one as well and might bump into all of you.

Just PM me and we can go for a coffee.

Otherwise, my biggest concern is that the technicals don't stand up. Literally every other short was shot on a Red or better whereas ours was a DSLR (Nikon). Now, I know how to get great results with a DSLR but at the time, I really didn't know so the results aren't as good as I'd have liked.

Back