My Article

The University website published an article of mine today. It's about the state of the Union right now. Just thought I'd show it and maybe stimulate some interesting off-topic conversation. Enjoy!

Good article, man. I've never personally met a pro-Bush American face-to-face.. which confuses me greatly. How do these people keep getting voted in? All the Americans I know are anti-Bush!!!!

...but the new foreign policy he's adopting will be a winning strategy.
smiley_creepy.gif

_______

Interesting editorial, Logan, though I couldn't quite make sense of the part about "movers and shakers".

:)

Except me (Im not "pro-bush" but Im certainly in favor of a few of their policies.). And the rest of the silent majority. Not going to get into a battle here, just thought Id let you know that there are people out there who support the other side and you never know who you might alienate if you get too forceful when on your soapbox.

Well, Bush is a Republican, and there are (or were) many Republicans who vote on party lines.

The biggest reason Bush got a second term (and voted in in the first place) is that the Democrats have the worst candidates ever. They have no balls and no opinions. Bush may be a horrible leader, but he has a resolve that Democrats lack. Kerry was very similar to Bush and voted to go to war, etc. I think he was mimicing Bush the whole damn election. We just have horrible choices and third/fourth parties never get the floor at debates. It's a two party system which has turned into a one party incestral system. That's why.

Spatula said:
Good article, man. I've never personally met a pro-Bush American face-to-face.. which confuses me greatly. How do these people keep getting voted in? All the Americans I know are anti-Bush!!!!
Pleased to meet you. If not face-to-face, at least virtually.

We ARE out there. And the vast majority of us aren't as the media portrays us. Most of the anti-Bush people I meet (and I'm a Union member in the movie biz in California - that's MOST people I know) aren't usually interested in a discussion - but more interested in standing on their soapbox. (thanks WideShot)

The next time you're in Hollywood I'll buy you a beer (or a coffee, if that's more your style) and you can then drop the four exclamation marks and the "all". You can even come to a Hollywood Republicans dinner and see for yourself that we aren't all how the media portrays us.

Logan - I did read your opinion piece. Very impassioned and I agree that we need to place the politics aside and help.

Here's another one.

The blame for the Katrina aftermath should be placed on a number of shoulders - from the local government level to the federal level. But to be honest, assigning that blame is just about the worst thing for our nation right now.

It's kind of like trying a murder case before the Police have a chance to gather evidence - nothing is ever solved. It's a sad side effect of our information society, or should I say opinion masquerading as information society. We do not and can not know all the facts involving the perceived slow response. But the 24 hour cable news and internet news organizations will lead you to believe we do and can. I have seen so many commentators (who haven't been with 100 miles of Louisiana or Mississippi in the last two weeks) tell the nation and world that they know what's happening and who's fault it is. It's a sham and it leads to ill informed ignorance.

This isn't the time for the political blame game. It's time for help.

Poke

PS
the horribly executed...war

Why is this becoming a recurring theme I hear from conservatives? I have spoken to Historians and retired Generals and the recurring theme I hear from them is that this has been the most efficiently executed war (and rebuilding of the affected country - Iraq) of the modern age.

Well, I agree that what's important right now is helping people, not fighting. I was just overcome with frustration and that article is the result (it's a good way to vent). I didn't want to just bash Bush. Honestly, he shares little amount of blame, but he still shares some of it. According to some locals I know (as well as other sources) the levee system has been corrupt for years, maybe decades...with funding going into peoples' pockets, etc. The Mayor of New Orleans also made some mistakes, and the way the Coast Guard system is set up has also slowed down things.

That article was supposed to be about our lack of forethought in many recent situations. It's just an opinion, and the "poorly executed war" wasn't my main point and that is an arguable statement. Some of my statements, I hope, are inarguable; but that one isn't fact. It's opinion.

It just seems that we are falling apart from all corners, and even in my little "green zone" here in Oklahoma, I can see people slipping into a depressed mode and our national pride and support of Bush is fading. I want us to be a strong, confident and well loved country again. That's all.

It's interesting isn't it? You're main point gets sidetracked by a little aside comment like "poorly executed war". That's something all writers face. If you're "preaching to the choir" little asides like that make the already converted say, "Oh yeah!" But you lose people who have a different point of view than you.

Unfortunately your piece came off as Bush bashing rather than about our lack of forethought.

But I do agree with you that there were major problems and we need to put politics aside, stop blaming and start helping. And from what I've been seeing and reading, Americans have been helping in record numbers despite Governors, Mayors and Senators trying to place blame.

Honestly, I don't think the entire piece was derailed by the war comment. It's just something I've noticed recently that I felt compelled to shine a light on.

And about forethought...the saying goes, "Hindsight's 20/20." I am not an apologist. I just think we too often point fingers and get outraged over things that could not be forseen. The way some people I know are talking about the government's response you'd think the administration knew about the hurricane two years ago. I don't know if the situation could have been prevented, all I know is that we need to clean up the mess, then find out what caused it.

Poke

Poke said:
Honestly, I don't think the entire piece was derailed by the war comment. It's just something I've noticed recently that I felt compelled to shine a light on.

And about forethought...the saying goes, "Hindsight's 20/20." I am not an apologist. I just think we too often point fingers and get outraged over things that could not be forseen. The way some people I know are talking about the government's response you'd think the administration knew about the hurricane two years ago. I don't know if the situation could have been prevented, all I know is that we need to clean up the mess, then find out what caused it.

Poke
My entire point is that the city HAS prepared for severe hurricane scenarios. The breaching of the levee was forseen ages ago, and was predicted when Katrina formed. Many towns enforced mandatory evacuations a couple of days before the storm hit, but N.O. waited until 24 hrs. before hand (not enough time to evacuate the whole city as calculated in past drills). It is important to look at these facts so that we don't make the same mistakes again. Not just to complain about what has already happened. Hindsight is 20/20, but foresight should have been taken more seriously. The situation also added to other things that have been frustrating me lately in life and I used that emotion to write an opinion piece in which some other issues poke their head.

The next time you're in Hollywood I'll buy you a beer (or a coffee, if that's more your style) and you can then drop the four exclamation marks and the "all".

I just might take you up on that. ;)
Just to clarify, "all" was referring to Americans I've met personally; although I contend that liberal circles up here don't make many allowances for "political aliens".

As for the hurricane-blame-game (say that 3 times!), it's nature- blame her if you blame anyone. I can understand why New Orleans would wait until the last minute to evacuate- it's a big city, and predictions can be wrong... at least I HOPE that's the reason. Could be lots of things. Nature.. nature...

I have spoken to Historians and retired Generals and the recurring theme I hear from them is that this has been the most efficiently executed war (and rebuilding of the affected country - Iraq) of the modern age.

I don't think he was referring to the tactic in war, but the cause of it. If there had been even a slight push for diplomacy over invasion, I don't think half the people would be complaining today.

There were a couple of posts made in poor taste. Let's keep this civil while maintaining dignity. Also have some respect for the thousands affected by this tragedy.

Poke

Honestly, him taking responsibility like that is actually very brave.

article said:
Bush said he wants to know what went right and what went wrong so that he can determine whether the United States is prepared for another storm, or an attack.

I think I'm going to tag "or an attack" to the end of everything now on. Just picture the reporter getting all shifty-eyed. :scared:

It was big of the president to say that. His stock went up a point in my book (I've always seen him as a decent guy, just not a great president - opinion!), but he can't take blame for all of it. The state and local people will still be pointing fingers at each other. As long as someone is genuinely investigating and preventing future problems, I'll be semi happy.

What's really interesting to me is the idea of rebuilding New Orleans in a new area, probably above sea level. I vote that they do that, and I saw some poll somewhwere that stated most Americans feel the same way. I doubt they will, but that seems smart. New Orleans was pretty dirty and run-down before the hurricane, and people tell me that's because the city spent so much money draining and dealing with water. If the city was built somewhere safer it could be even better than it was! Of course, I'm not a New Orleanian (just visited a few times), so my opinion doesn't really matter on that subject.

Last edited:
I didn't vote for him and don't like his politics...but that was a stand up statement to make. It's political suicide to admit or assume fault in a situation like this. The end result is to stop the finger pointing and move toward a solution...I respect that.

I forgot about this until recently.....you can add this to the general frustration to the whole disaster.

My fiancée’s little sister is dating a guy who is a mechanical engineer in the Army. After the hurricane hit and they decided to send troops and national guard down, his unit was not ordered to go, but they asked for volunteers. The majority of the guys in his unit did not volunteer, including himself. I couldn't believe this. He's a newer recruit, so it's not like he's on leave from a long tour in Iraq, he hasn't been, but he just didn't want to go because it meant he wouldn't be able to go to a concert on the weekend. They even offer extra daily pay for volunteers, but few around him would go. I can't believe it.

...geez, Logan, I can't seem to access your article :no:

I keep getting re-routed to the home page with alot of articles, but not yours (sigh)

...I'll keep trying...

--spinner :cool:

Back