• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Musopen-Free Public Domain Music Resource

good idea, but there is no guarantee that what you download is public domain. From the FAQ
What content on Musopen can I use and reuse elsewhere?

Musopen’s goal is to be the largest online repository of music in the public domain. Musopen respects the rights of copyrights owners and asks that its users do the same. Musopen requires all users who upload music to the site to represent that the uploaded musical composition and/or the sound recording is in the public domain. However, please note that Musopen cannot guarantee that any music uploaded by its users is, in fact, in the public domain. While Musopen seeks to prevent copyright infringement and complies as a service provider with the requirements of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (“DMCA”), Musopen does not review music uploaded by users of the site to determine if the music is in the public domain or subject to copyright. We strongly encourage anyone who wishes to use music found on Musopen to familiarize themselves with copyright law and the public domain and to independently assess whether any given musical work or sound recording is in the public domain and not otherwise subject to third party rights.

So what exactly are you paying for? Or why would I donate to just another web site with content that MAY or MAY NOT be legal to use?

good idea, but there is no guarantee that what you download is public domain. From the FAQ

So what exactly are you paying for? Or why would I donate to just another web site with content that MAY or MAY NOT be legal to use?

Oo, didn't read this. My guess is that although "Musopen requires all users who upload music to the site to represent that the uploaded musical composition and/or the sound recording is in the public domain", they most probably work with the assumption that the uploader has cleared this issue. But, you're right, buyer beware.

I know that this site started out with the intention of presenting classical works (those no longer applicable to copyright issues) done by musicians they hired (who then waived their rights to the piece so it could enter the public domain). I guess if one wanted to donate to the site they could ask for the listings of these particular pieces without worry of legal ramifications. Beyond this original catalog, the best bet is to research.

Aaron from musopen

Hey all, Aaron from Musopen.

The reality is that you can't trust any website as saying something is in the public domain, since many countries don't even recognize that as a status for a work. Musopen has worked with some really excellent attorneys to give us the best chances at obtaining public domain works, but we could never say it is for sure or we risk looking like Musopen is guaranteeing it.

As long as you have some familiarity with copyright and public domain laws and look up the composer died etc it should be pretty safe. All performers are required to release their rights when uploading the work so that part should be pretty safe.

Aaron

Back