• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Music for Wedding Videography

I just had one of my highlight videos taken down from You Tube for having a copyrighted song. I know the legality involved with using copyrighted footage, but when making a highlight video so a couple can share it with their friends, they want there favorite songs and not some obscure creative commons song, which is really hard to find a good one.
Wedding Videographers: Do you pay the licensing fee or how do you get around this, if there is even a way to get around it. If I charged what I should charge for wedding videos, may be I could afford the extra cost of paying for copyright, but I can't.
Vimeo seems more lenient than You Tube, may be because you aren't supposed to post commercial videos. Anyone have some advice?

A wedding video is meant for the couple and their family. While
you are technically violating copyright it is rarely an issue. Until
you (or the couple) post the video in public.

I don’t do wedding videos but I have put together many projects
for friends and family and you’re right, they want the songs that
have meaning to them. I do not license these songs because I
would never post the finished product in public.

My suggestion is to not post your wedding videos to the public. For
your reel to show potential clients you must either license the songs
or use songs you have permission to use.

Themusicbed.com licenses some popular song at a pretty killer price. They have rates and packages specifically with wedding videos in mind. Worth a look.

As far as posting on YouTube, there are tons of pop songs you can legally use by saying you're using it when you upload. YouTube then puts ads and iTunes links in your video and description pointing to the artist. They have deals worked out with many labels.

There are also several other sites that license music for YouTube for $1-3.00. Most are indie artists though.

Finally, somewhere in between proper licensing and piracy is buying a copy of the song for each DVD you make. Similar to buying the CD and accompanying it with the DVD you make. Since you're allowe to use music you buy and make copies for personal use, and wedding DVDs are pretty personal. If you make 3 DVDs for the couple, buy three copies of the song. It probably wouldn't hold up in court, but it might help you sleep better haha. I don't do this, but I usually don't do weddings.

The reality is that when Choosing And Using Music For Video you are bound by copyright laws, and as soon as you post something publicly if it has not been cleared for use, then you are breaching those laws. You therefore need to be aware that you run the risk of having the video removed from circulation. Like it or not, someone owns the rights to the songs by your "favourite artists", and if you plan on using them on a public website, you will need to get the use cleared by whoever holds the rights to the material. It may be a pain, but it is the way it is, and really it is fair enough. Unfortunately, we live in an interenet world where people pretty much want or expect music straight away, and for free. If it is for any other service or product people are generally prepared to pay for it. However, the mind set of sharing files online has become so common to us all that we can get taken aback when we realize we might have to pay to use music for a commercial production or a publicly share video.

I am getting kicked off these threads. Why? third time trying to respond.

Stealing is stealing. Period.

e.g. I have had my music stolen by by Radio Active Records and eight other bootleggers in Europe since the mid 1980's. They market my music around the world. I do not receive a dime. Material is copyrighted (U.S.LOC). I am not rich and do not have the funds to take those that steal to court. The Jimi Hendrix Estate spent a small fortune going after Radio Active in England (their base). Hendrix Estate won. Radio Active sold off their warehouse and started all over again with another bootlegging company.

Stealing IS stealing. No excuses. No alabis.

Same is true with fine art and writing. I have copyrighted material that took me a lot of years to develop the talents needed to do what I do in music, fine art and other creative endeavors. Repeat that. Took me years, money, had to sacrifice, etc.

Yet, many think it is alright to steal? Hey no big deal... just a tune. Just a drawing. It is stealing.

My suggestion -- hire local talent to create original material, they can use the money and promotion. Barter. Trade service for service. Give em a music video for use of some music. Etc. Get a contract. Pay for royalty free music, those musicians will be grateful that you help them make a living, put food on their table, pay their rent.

STEALING IS STEALING. Do unto others as they would do unto you. Treat all people fairly and honestly. PERIOD.

Back