• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Movie idea

Ok so my friend and I were talking about movies and I told him I need to write the perfect script. He had an idea. Its about a famous Jewel dealer who gets conned and gets revenge while eluding the cops. He informs the police but they dont do anything and he decides to get his own revenge and hunts each one down. Also he is famous because celebrities and everyone go to this guy. Now the only part where we are stuck at is how does he get conned. Any ideas? I was thinking down the line of "double crossing"

Perhaps a wealthy businessman owns a musuem and he changes a valuable jewel for a fake and gets the theif to steal the fake. And then he claims insurance. MaYbe the reason is the price of the jewel has dropped and insurance is still worth more than the jewel is.

OR

perhaps terrorists have decided they want a rare jewel to use in a weapon and they get involved with a diamond theif.
well, they get the diamond and run off with it. The police are after the diamond thief, but the theif is after the terrorists. The terrorists build a gun that can somehow make thunderstorms and tornadoes and can be used against cities. The thief breaks into the CIA building to attain lists and inteligence on terrorists and uses the information to track them down.

If you're really shooting for the 'perfect script' I think there's some other questions that are more important than how he gets conned... how many heist/con movies have you seen where the victim is the hero? It's pretty rare, which actually means there's potential to do something innovative there, but it also means it's pretty hard to do.

So, why do we (the audience) care about this jewel dealer? How are we supposed to relate to being a famous jewel dealer? Why would we care if he got conned in the first place - would you feel sorry for a famous jewel dealer if one of his jewels got stolen? Doesn't he have insurance? If not, why not? Is this his only jewel, or his most expensive, or? In other words, why can't he just sell a few more jewels to some other celebrities and make up the loss, assuming it wasn't actually insured. Why don't the police do anything? Or the insurance company? Or a private investigator?

That all deals with just the start of the film - then there's the end. So now he tracks down each person involved and gets revenge - is that it? Does it build to anything, or are we just seeing him go from one person to the next in a procedural way? Is anything revealed? Do we care if he gets revenge? What kind of revenge does he get anyway? I mean, you steal a jewel from me I'd like to get my jewel back and see you go to jail, but I don't particularly want to see you killed, or tortured - it's kind of out of line with the crime. So if he kills and tortures these people it's going to be kind of difficult to keep him as a sympathetic character, but if all he does is track them down and have them arrested it might not be very interesting.

id say this:

an old convict turned his life around and ran a successful jewellery business for years, then he gets robbed by either A. his old companions and hunts them down, B. some newbie wannabes and he decides to go old school to track them down.

i think that adds a bit of flavour to your idea

even better the newbies enter his shop, one asks how much the chain is etc, then the rest barge in with a gun, then again for me this film would only work with british actors, for instance vinnie jones or ray winstone, they would say "are you sure you wanna do this boys" then the people could be scousers tell him to shut up, then he catches a glimpse of one of their tattoo which he recognises a bit later on a tattoo shop window then he goes in and asks them who they have given that tattoo etc etc he hunts down the list and then begins his hunt.

Last edited:
id say this:

an old convict turned his life around and ran a successful jewellery business for years, then he gets robbed by either A. his old companions and hunts them down, B. some newbie wannabes and he decides to go old school to track them down.

i think that adds a bit of flavour to your idea

even better the newbies enter his shop, one asks how much the chain is etc, then the rest barge in with a gun, then again for me this film would only work with british actors, for instance vinnie jones or ray winstone, they would say "are you sure you wanna do this boys" then the people could be scousers tell him to shut up, then he catches a glimpse of one of their tattoo which he recognises a bit later on a tattoo shop window then he goes in and asks them who they have given that tattoo etc etc he hunts down the list and then begins his hunt.

Love the idea! I was thinking a famous jeweler is also a jewel thief himself. And when police start to question him about if he has seen this jewel then he must find a way to cover up his second life..

Back