MoVi - handheld gyroscopic stabeliser

This video was publushed today by Vincent Laforet and I thought it might interest the Indietalk community:
https://vimeo.com/63357898

The MoVi is gyroscopic and handheld and looks as stable as a real steadycam (or even better)!
Although not cheap ($15,000) this piece of equipment looks really promising.
All those possibilities where you usually end up with bumps, hickups and shocks in your footage :)

What are your thoughts about the MoVi?
Usefull?

expensive yes, is it worth it? in my opinion yes, at least for a DSLR, the remote function is what sells it for me, If i could rent this for £70 a day then i would do so, to buy it im not so sure, but i see alot of places buying this to rent.

Holy shit.

Why is it so much more expensive than steadicams when it does practically the same job... It's 7.5k for the DSLR size btw.

Because it's more high-tech? :P

True, the M5 can handle up to 5lbs.
But when that version is ready is still unknown.
And to me 5lbs is a bit 'tight'.

Anyway, I hope I can rent it somewhere soon :)
(But I can't skate ;) )

I especially LOVED the roller skating shot at the end, makes me keen to try my own version with my steadicam (Merlin). Big difference and advantage I notice with this is that it appears much easier to do things one handed. Most Steadicam rigs, even for non complex shots require your other hand resting on it to guide it a little

I especially LOVED the roller skating shot at the end, makes me keen to try my own version with my steadicam (Merlin). Big difference and advantage I notice with this is that it appears much easier to do things one handed. Most Steadicam rigs, even for non complex shots require your other hand resting on it to guide it a little

Not if you're good at steadicaming (which takes years of practice). Devin Supertramp is very often holding his Glidecam with just one hand.

But I agree the main advantage is that it's easier to play with that a steadicam. You don't need years of practice to deliver stable footage.

Not if you're good at steadicaming (which takes years of practice). Devin Supertramp is very often holding his Glidecam with just one hand.

Hmmm I disagree. (To make sure I was certain) I just went back and watched a number of Devin Graham's BTS and only for a second or two in one video did he actually hold his Glidecam with one hand, the rest of the time his left hand is helping to guide it

original.gif

Several difference from steady cam, because it's a stabilized remote head. In other words, the guy holding the rig is not framing the shot, the remote operator is.

Why is it so much more expensive than steadicams when it does practically the same job... It's 7.5k for the DSLR size btw.

It is actually the same price. The lightweight DSLR version of an actual Steadi-Cam with vest and arm is right around $7500. The cheapo-stabilizers aren't in the same league.

This is great because it's grab and go and only a few pounds! Look forward to seeing it at NAB.

Last edited:
I think the really interesting thing is the way it splits the various tasks - movement, framing, and focus could all be operated by different people, so each can concentrate on getting their particular task right.

But think about this as just a first piece in a bigger puzzle. Facial recognition is becoming more and more common, as well as more sophisticated. We're also starting to see cameras that can do things like judge and adjust composition. Now imagine a rig like this with programmable keyframes - you could walk through your shots ahead of time, storing framing and focus targets, then either trigger them as you shoot or even let the camera trigger them automatically.

I've been following this since it came out on Vincent Laforet's blog. He claims 'game changer'. I claim BS.

It's not really new tech. The tech in this has been around for a long time, so it's barely even revolutionary.
In the demo video, the framing is pretty awful. And that's their demo video.. A lot of the pan movement is jerky, the framing is average at best, and the focus pulling looks decidedly absent.
The fact that it's remote control of framing means framing will always be playing catch up. With a steadicam, your framing and movement are controlled by one person, who can compensate on either, and is able to look around and predict to keep framing correct and movement smooth. Not so with the Movi.

The other, much more important aspect is that a steadicam puts the weight of the camera on your shoulders. This means you can pull off a 12-hour day operating all day, and whilst you'll feel it, you'll still be able to operate.
The Movi is touted as being lightweight - which it is. Even with a stripped down Epic or similar it comes in at around 10lb or ~5kg... Except all the weight is in your forearms. After 3-8 rehearsals and 4-10 takes of one relatively long shot, your forearms will be dead. Good luck pulling off more than one shot, let alone a whole 12 hour day on this thing. If you want to give it a try, try holding a 10lb or 5kg sack of potatoes out in front of you for an hour and see how long you last.

Plus you need three operators (rig, framing, focus), at least one of whom is working on a remote monitor. So, whilst you've got a relatively inexpensive rig - you then need to shell out for wireless monitor Tx plus a wireless focus system w/ motor and receiver.

I'd also like to see this thing on longer lenses - it's relatively jerky pan movement on wider lenses so I'm interested as to how it fares on long lenses.

Look, it is cool and does provide some extra options, but it's hardly a game changer. If you design shots specifically for it, that's where I see some awesome things happening. You could've pulled off the taxi shot better on a steadicam, but pulling into the taxi, then passing the camera through the other side is something that would be awesome, and would leave the audience going 'how the f@#! did they actually do that?!'

What would be really awesome is to see this thing combined with an Easyrig.

All of that said, one of the local rental houses has ordered one. I've got a few shoots coming up this year, so if they get it in time and it's not ridiculously over-priced to rent, I'll certainly be giving it a go.

Last edited:
Id like to see this on some kinda shoulder rig with single operator pulling focus and controlling the frame. since its "active" it should be able to deal with having cables connected to the camera (i.e. follow focus) .. track the frame to head movement and youd end up with this cool cyborg like camera that followed your head, like some scifi mech missle launcher! nowthadbecool...

EDIT: I note that vertical movement is not managed in anyway.

Indeed: which one do they use?

Looks like their own (Freefly Systems I mean) Cinestar Heavy Lifter:

http://freeflysystems.com/products/cinestarHL.php

Also, I agree it's not something I'd consider a "game changer", but I also think jax_rox is giving it sufficient credit. The one shot that worked great was to be able to hand it off from someone on the ground to someone standing on top of a van; bam! instant crane shot with virtually zero set-up.

I'd also argue that you could do that cab shot more easily with a steadicam; that was manageable and safe because the person in motion simply had to keep the camera kinda aiming in the right way, which you could do without looking. This left virtually his full attention on staying upright and not hitting things. Plus, you couldn't have managed to get quite so "inside" with a steadicam; yeah, they weren't fully in, but they were more in that a steadicam could get.

I'm not going to be breaking the bank for one, but it is definitely cool and I'll rent one if I ever get the chance. Just, as you point out, have to make sure I have enough people around to drive the damn thing!

CraigL

Also, I agree it's not something I'd consider a "game changer", but I also think jax_rox is giving it sufficient credit. The one shot that worked great was to be able to hand it off from someone on the ground to someone standing on top of a van; bam! instant crane shot with virtually zero set-up.

I'd also argue that you could do that cab shot more easily with a steadicam; that was manageable and safe because the person in motion simply had to keep the camera kinda aiming in the right way, which you could do without looking. This left virtually his full attention on staying upright and not hitting things. Plus, you couldn't have managed to get quite so "inside" with a steadicam; yeah, they weren't fully in, but they were more in that a steadicam could get.

I'm not going to be breaking the bank for one, but it is definitely cool and I'll rent one if I ever get the chance. Just, as you point out, have to make sure I have enough people around to drive the damn thing!

Not necessarily easier, but better ;). This certainly has very specific applications, but the way that Vincent Laforet is raving about it, makes it seem as if this is so good taht it can, and will, replace every shoulder rig, steadicam, jib and dolly, which it simply won't. It's another tool to add to your arsenal that you may want to use for some shots, but it's no magic device ;).

The handoff is one big plus that this stabiliser has, however that also adds to the people count you need to operate the rig! The handoff 'jib' shot was certainly able to be done quicker and easier than a dolly and jib, or technocrane (cheaper than a technocrane ;)), but the shot itself was certainly not on par with other ways of doing it.

As I say, I do plan to have a play with it when I get a chance, so I'll revisit my thoughts when I eventually do. There are definitely some cool shot options it opens up - rental houses would just want to price it right; you want to make it cheaper enough to rent than a steadiop to make it worth renting it.

Back