• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

most reliable hard drives?

I think there was a thread about this a while ago, but couldn't find it...

anyhow, in your experience over the years, what brand hard drives have given you the least amount of grief and are still spinning? I need to hit Fry's and get a pair to back up some projects. I'm talking external drives.

Thanks yo.

I think there was a thread about this a while ago, but couldn't find it...

anyhow, in your experience over the years, what brand hard drives have given you the least amount of grief and are still spinning? I need to hit Fry's and get a pair to back up some projects. I'm talking external drives.

Thanks yo.

I don't have your answer, but are you talking Mac or PC for filtering purposes?

I've had good luck with Western Digital. Just got a 500GB 7200 RPM HDD for my MacBook Pro. Haven't even had a chance to install it yet. I always check NewEgg reviews, and this one in particular had an excellent rating.

It not only depends on the make, but the model. Check reviews, as cameronchapman stated.

I exclusively use Glyphs. Seems to be the norm in the audio industry.

From what I see in the film industry for video editing, they use ginormous servers with linked raids.

I must say though, if you have a drive die on you, send it to me. Some of the best servo and machine motor sounds I have ever recorded were from busted harddrives. Many of the Terminator: Salvaton SFX were broken drives.

and my favorite quote from Mr. Bill Gates:

“640K ought to be enough for anybody.” -Bill Gates (1981)

Last edited:
I've got a mixture of Western Digital and Seagate drives, which I've been very happy with - I think it's more important to read reviews of individual models though, as was said.

Back