• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Modern Gods < A New Short!

Hey guys here is a new film we got done recently. It's titled MODERN GODS. Anyways i hope you enjoyed and get ready for more releases this month!

33429_604151653834_75303527_34324072_1270687_n.jpg

33429_604151658824_75303527_34324073_3810101_n.jpg

33429_604151693754_75303527_34324080_1850610_n.jpg

36380_604151993154_75303527_34324082_6853451_n.jpg

36380_604151998144_75303527_34324083_6176697_n.jpg

FILM URL - 12 MIN
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_856uYDBsM

The main channel of course!
http://www.youtube.com/fcrabbath

ENJOY!
- FC

For one, it was beautifully photographed. The cinematography was solid, as was the camera work and editing.

Your sound design was well done also, as was the music.

I think the story was cute, but it lacked something...I don't know...a pathos. Hmmm...maybe there was pathos in the writing, but your actors couldn't portray it. Not sure...but it could have used some refinement.

The acting was hit or miss for all the actors. I think overall they did a good job, but I think, sadly, the acting was the weakest link in this production. Which is weird to say, because it wasn't that bad...but it wasn't that great either. The other aspects were so good, that I wanted to see better actors. The little girl is super cute and has a great flare about her...but she was either totally on with her choices, or totally fake.

Really nice work here. I've seen your work before, and I'm always impressed.

I'd love to work on something with you...I know that's easy to say...but I mean it. You've got a great eye for film.

Cheers.

ps. Loved the lighting bolt on Zeus' bug spray...great touch.

Last edited:
Any critique i give here is going to be minor, but I'll go ahead anyway.

The performances where a little cloudy, it felt quirky at times, then in other instances it seemed a little hammed. I couldn't tell whether i was being too judgmental in this case because your technique was so precise, the cinematography was outstanding, you have some serious craftsmanship.

@M1chae1 has beat me to it, but I'd love to work with you if we could figure something out across the pond. I can't help but think you could add a great deal to our material.

Any critique i give here is going to be minor, but I'll go ahead anyway.

The performances where a little cloudy, it felt quirky at times, then in other instances it seemed a little hammed. I couldn't tell whether i was being too judgmental in this case because your technique was so precise, the cinematography was outstanding, you have some serious craftsmanship.

@M1chae1 has beat me to it, but I'd love to work with you if we could figure something out across the pond. I can't help but think you could add a great deal to our material.

thanks guys! I live in Florida if you do want to work together. Cheers.

The shots were awesome, you have a great eye. I have to be honest and say that I really didn't much like the short, it was missing something. I think the story was cool, but it needed to be delved into deeper. It seemed just really on the surface. The acting was not very good either. I feel bad being a critic, because I loved the shots it was beautiful camera work. I think maybe if you had just worked on the story a bit more it would have been better. I cannot stress enough how much I loved the shots, just as a whole it wasn't for me.

The shots were awesome, you have a great eye. I have to be honest and say that I really didn't much like the short, it was missing something. I think the story was cool, but it needed to be delved into deeper. It seemed just really on the surface. The acting was not very good either. I feel bad being a critic, because I loved the shots it was beautiful camera work. I think maybe if you had just worked on the story a bit more it would have been better. I cannot stress enough how much I loved the shots, just as a whole it wasn't for me.

Thank you for your review, however i don't think i could've gone deeper for the genre and style i was heading for. I think, as others have mentioned people are focusing on something such as the shots in your case and think so highly of it that it becomes nearly impossible to match any other aspect hence your disappointment. The reason i state this is because i see other shorts that have much less depth and acting ability but people loving it due to the poor camera quality. But as i said this is a zero budget film and there is only so much you can get out of local actors, which, i believe did a fantastic job with all limitations. Thanks for the review.

I can make this review short and sweet: wonderful cinematography, horrible acting. The idea for the short was great, but your actors didnt have to be so melodramatic. Thats alright though, they'll get better. Practice makes perfect.

Last edited:
I can make this review short and sweet: wonderful cinematography, horrible acting. The idea for the short was great, but your actors didnt have to be so melodramatic. Thats alright though, they'll get better. Practice makes perfect.

As stated above, the acting was supposed to look staged for the Gods (outside of the main character) as we were going for a greek stage feel. Anyways thanks for watching.

I get what your saying about the greek stage feel, but some theres a point when your trying to do too much and simplicity would be better.

I get what your saying about the greek stage feel, but some theres a point when your trying to do too much and simplicity would be better.

I guess i don't know how much simpler i could've gotten but hey it's cool - i just wanted to clarify the whole greek stage feel. Thanks again for watching!

You could have done more with the script and the actors...don't say that you couldn't. If you're not getting what you want from a particular actor, then don't hire them. Even in small towns, you can find really talented people just waiting to show what they can do...you just have to find them.

You can go to local plays, festivals, etc...find the seriously good actors and approach them.

You're not 'stuck' with anything...it's a choice you make, and it's all part of the pre-pro process.

I get the Greek Gods tone...I get that they are bigger than life...as they should be, no doubt. They just weren't up to snuff to pull it off convincingly or appropriately. Again...they weren't horrible...they were average indie fare. It's just that your own personal skills as a filmmaker deserve better.

Cheers.

As stated above, the acting was supposed to look staged for the Gods (outside of the main character) as we were going for a greek stage feel. Anyways thanks for watching.

Well then, if thats what you were shooting for, its a wonderful video. Excellent work. Still, the cinematography was done extremely welll. Its just amazing.

Wow, I loved the cinematography.
What did you use to film this?

I actually liked it, maybe the acting was a little off. I did like the story though, It kept me entertained.
Sometimes when I'm watching a short and I see it is 12 minutes, I decide whether to watch through the whole thing at minute 5. For this one I didn't even pay attention to the time.

You did a great job, if any critique, it would be for Zeus and Hera. I liked the guy and Artemis was very cute (She's the girl from the geico commercial right?) . Good job. Also the bug spray was very funny.

Good Job. I can't wait to see more.

I wont say any more about the acting because it has already been said

Plus, everyone has also mentioned how great the film looks

I felt like the writing and concept leant itself more to the sitcom format than a short film. It felt like this could have been a pilot or something like that.

I also watched the 'No Offence' short you completed, with I thought was a lot better than this, as a short film concept.

Two questions

Have you considered spining out the 'Modern Gods' into a longer, sitcom format?

and

Have you considered working with a writer and directing someone elses work?

I wont say any more about the acting because it has already been said

Plus, everyone has also mentioned how great the film looks

I felt like the writing and concept leant itself more to the sitcom format than a short film. It felt like this could have been a pilot or something like that.

I also watched the 'No Offence' short you completed, with I thought was a lot better than this, as a short film concept.

Two questions

Have you considered spining out the 'Modern Gods' into a longer, sitcom format?

and

Have you considered working with a writer and directing someone elses work?

Well i'm aiming to be a writer and director so that would be counter productive - regardless many enjoyed the concept and writing as is so i think it might be a taste thing than a " hey just let someone else write it" Anyways thanks for watching.

Well i'm aiming to be a writer and director so that would be counter productive - regardless many enjoyed the concept and writing as is so i think it might be a taste thing than a " hey just let someone else write it" Anyways thanks for watching.

I'm sorry if I cam across as being dismissive of your writing, that certainly was the intention. I dont feel the "hey just let someone else write it" comment was apt in the slightest

I too would like to be a writer/director as I would imagine a lot of people would like try and get into production, but sometimes we find this isn't what ends up happening. Yes, it is great to direct your own writing, but at the same time, it is good to have some distance from your work, ie directing someone elses script, writing for someone else etc

The reason I asked those questions is because I thought your visual style is very strong, and I would be interested to see how it would be expressed with some different content. Plus, your offering the obvious visual strength to other productions might end up opening doors for you

I thought the acting was good. :shrug:

Anyway, great work. It looked good, it was funny, and the acting was good. A perfect little short, it ran for the perfect amount of time in my opinion. The guy playing Zeus and bug spray... hilarious. :lol:

Back