miniDV to FILM transfer

Hi all

Has anyone here transferred miniDV to 35mm film? And how well does it look projected on the screen? Assume the footage is anamorphic 16:9, 24p, and has been carefully corrected.

I ask because I am hoping to have a project completed by September and am looking at the possibility of a film transfer. I would also be interested in any recommendations for quality places that do such transfers.

Thanks for any input.

Also, I was hoping to be able to provide the project to the transfer place as a numbered .sgi sequence on a hard drive. Any advice or suggestions from someone with experience?

I have never done it, but I do know this:

1. It would look really good. Have you ever seen 28 Days Later? That movie was shot on xl1s then transferred to 35mm.

2. You do realize it would cost at least $20,000 to transfer a feature length movie, right? Probably way more. To me, that is definitely not worth it (especially not these days with more digital projectors in theaters and festivals), unless someone else pays for it (like Miramax, haha).

I'm looking to spend around $35,000 on the transfer. I had considered the digital projection route, but having a 35 mm master is just too tempting. Some people want to landscape their yard, others want to buy a nice car - I want to have a print of my movie. To me it is worth it. Why hope for someone else to do it when you can do it yourself? That's what "independent" is all about to me. But I guess it depends on if I can get the loan, which so far looks promising.

If I had $35,000, I would make a *&*% amazing movie, man. I would still use video (just preference, I guess). It seems more efficient and leaves more room for profit when you try to make money from your film. With all that saved money, you could get an agent, badass press kits, etc. and end up somewhere really prestigious...You would still have an amazing movie...win win...Do what you gotta do though, man. You probably have way more money to spend than I do, hehe. That's why I'm so thrifty...I have to be.

If you do the majority of the work yourself, you don't need to spend much. Trust me, I can guarantee you make more money than I do. And anyone can get a loan if they haven't screwed themselves financially. Talk about thrifty - I've built all my own camera equipment, wrote my own script, drawn all my own storyboards, compiled my own breakdowns, designed and sewed all my costumes, held my own auditions, composed my own music, learned all my software, and managed to take care of my son in the last 8 months. Press kits and agents are luxuries in my opinion that I do not feel are that necessary right now. I simply have a story to tell and want to present it in a high quality format at some high quality festivals. And I guess no one around here has transferred miniDV to 35mm so I will continue to search out a reputable company elsewhere, but I thank everyone for their time, and also LOGAN L PRODUCTIONS for the comments.

No prob, man. BTW: I have $1,000 to my name (and that's just because I'm saving up for something), and I do all that stuff on my own too. Never done it any other way. I would mainly use the money for equipment and travel, not hiring people...since that's what you thought. I doubt you make less than me. I'm still young, and can't even afford a DVX100...that's why spending so much money seems so far from me.

Anyway, good luck man. Do you have a website we can check out? Put up a link if you do :) If not, let us know how things go! Later!

I make roughly $500 - $700 a month, and I have nothing saved. I made a tough decision to leave a job I didn't really enjoy and devote full time to making my movie. It was a big risk but I have faith it will be a good thing. And I've met some great people who all believe in what I'm doing and help me out whenever I need it. The good news is that I spent the last 3 years acquiring all my equipment and software before I dumped the job, so the next phase of production only involves gas money to and from locations. My website is:

http://www.codydeegan.com/dance/home.html

Thanks for the support. And just remember, it's better to think to yourself, "WHEN I have that money," rather than "IF I had that money." That way you set yourself up for success.

If you've lit your video properly you can get a very acceptable film transfer. I've never done it using a numbered .sgi sequence on a hard drive, so I can't help you there.

But I have done it and the results vary. Mostly it's how well the original video was shot.

You'll have to speak to several transfer houses and ask what they need as a master to make the best quality neg. You should expect a minimum of $275 - $325 per minute.

Thanks so much for the information, I appreciate it. I've also since learned that the .sgi sequence is not the standard way to go, so I want to explore the suggestions given here and see where they take me.

And thanks for the compliments on my artwork - always appreciated. Take care everyone.

Kyroneus,

I recommend that you go to a library and look at the latest copy of LA411. The latest copy comes with a supplement that deals strictly with HiDef production. Its called High Def 411. There is a section devoted to HD Post houses.

I don't know the individual rates because I've not worked on a HD production yet (its a possibility we are looking into for one of our future projects.) However, here are a couple that I'll post here for you that seem to do what you are looking for.

Ascent Media Burbank: 818-840-7000
Absolute Post: 818-842-7966
Bobine Video, Inc.: (310) 451-2207

As I said, there is a section in High Def 411 devoted strictly to HD Post Houses. They are too numerous for me to list here, but those three should be able to give you a rough ballpark as to how much you can expect to pay for an HD to Film transfer.

Hope that helps.

Do you have access to the photoshop plugin Genuine Fractals? From what I hear it is theoretically able to blow up your work by 300% without loosing resolution (it achieves this by analyzing the image, transfering that into an algorithm and then recreating an entirely new image at the correct resolution!). It may be helpful if you do decide to go to film.

Wow, Shaw that is pretty awesome. I've never heard of it myself but if Kyroneus goes this route, I'd love to see the results and would be interested in the savings/quality as compared to other HD to Film transfer/blowup methods.

As I'm unfamiliar with the HD to Film transfer process, I'm unsure if this software can be integrated into the process. Maybe someone else out there can give us an overview of the process...

Yeah I would love to see the results as well :). I haven't ever used the plugin myself but I have an artist friend who uses it and seems to like it a lot. Here is a review of the software for those interested:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/SOFT/GF/GF.HTM

I don't know if this would work for video for sure (it may not - unless you tried to do this frame by frame...) but it seems like it might be able to work.

I realize you are discussing hi def transfer to film. I am shooting on a standard definition digital video and wanting to go to film. I had considered transfering to a hi def format, but then thought why not go all out and get a 35mm print. Could a HD house be useful for what I'm doing? I feel it might be an unecessary step for me.

Not entirely sure what you are asking but:

1) We are actually discussing both HD and SD -> Film transfers :). I brought up the plugin Genuine Fractals as a possibility to blow up DV to 2000k for a transfer to film.

I wouldn't do a SD -> HD -> film transfer if thats what you mean. You only have so many pixels to work with (unless Genuine Fractals could be used - hard to say) so you wouldn't gain anything by transfering from SD -> HD.

Back