Mention of a specific brand and product

What do you think of this conversation?

Need I fear legal problems from Nintendo? I suppose I might as well contact them to ask permission. However, let's say I'm not able to get permission from them -- do you guys think I'm safe, or am I pushing boundaries?

I think I'll go ahead and ADR an alternate version of the conversation, to leave open the option of playing it safe in post. Like, maybe instead of saying, "Is that a Nintendo?", he can say, "Is that what I think it is?", to which the response, "hells yeah", would still make sense.

Thanks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBb3FoTql9s

Note: As of this writing, for some reason it's taking forever to buffer. Hopefully, you won't have that issue.

Yo FunkMeister! I actually like your ADR version better. But legally, I'd be more worried about showing the equipment than speaking the name, especially since they're making fun of it...On the other hand, at the level we operate on, who's gonna bother taking you to court?

Glad to see ya making progress on this. Oh, and I LUV the slate.

Midnite

Yeah, there's nothing illegal about saying the name. They could sue you for slander if you were disparaging, but talking about a brand is ok.

Showing the equipment is another story. You'll have to ask a lawyer :(

Hey, everybody, thanks for the input.

Decisions made:

- going to shoot the alternate, less-specific ADR, just in case
- going to contact Nintendo to ask for permission (PBR let me use their beer, so maybe)
- going to contact a lawyer to be safe

Who is talking about Nintendo? An unsavory character like a drug dealer, drug addict, thief, etc? I think you're OK. I just worry about anal retentive errors & omissions insurance lawyers (if you ever get that far with your film).

Back