Memorize lines before rehearsal or not?

Hi everyone,

I've read you shouldn't have actors memorize their lines before the first rehearsal, to keep them from forming line readings and such, so we can first meet and discuss objectives.

If you only have time for a couple rehearsals, is getting on-book prior to meeting a good idea or a bad one?
Or is there any mid-way compromise here?

Thanks

In my experience almost anything you read that includes "shouldn't"
or "should" or "always" or "never" is poor advice when it comes to
the creative choices we make. You don't say where you read that,
but I think it's pretty poor advice.

I have worked with actors who come to the very first rehearsal "off
book" and with actors who don't want to commit their lines to memory
at all. It can be challenging when actors using different methods work
together. But I just can't see myself insisting that an actor who doesn't
want to memorize their lines before the first rehearsal do so against
their will. Nor can I see myself telling an actor who wants to memorize
their lines before the first rehearsal that they can't. I have too much
respect for actors. I allow each individual to come to the first rehearsal
exactly the way they are comfortable. Then my job as the director is to
shape and direct them towards my vision.

Even when you have time for only a couple of rehearsals I think it's a
good idea to allow the actor to make the choice that they like best.

Rik's advice is pretty good. Once you've chosen your actors, you should really treat them with respect. Find out what their philosophies are, and if yours differ, then tell them about yours and if it's important to you, see if you can convince them of yours. Actors will want to trust you, and if you can give them a good enough reason, they might come your way. Or if they have a good enough reason for their particular style, then maybe they'll convince you to listen to them.

But in general, I'd say, that knowing the lines is better than not knowing the lines. If they know the lines, they know the story. They can make up their own minds about how to play it, but if they actually know their lines, then it is easier to make them see multiple approaches to the same lines. If they don't know their lines, they'll probably spend their energies formulating an approach on set, that may be difficult to wean them out of.

Just my opinion, but I like it better when the actors know their lines. It's easier for me to handle. Actors are smart people, just like everybody else. The smarter the actor, the better they are, and the easier they are to direct in multiple ways. There is no reason, why an actor would be married to one way of thinking, just because s/he knows his/her line.

Back