• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Matching Shots

Hopefully whoever shoots my next movie will know how to do this. But, just in case I thought I'd ask.

I want to do a lot of changes during scenes.

For example she's running through a crowded town, and seamlessly she's now running in an open field.

Within a single scene her outfits will change.

What I want it to seem is there's no time passing, this is all in the here and now. Almost like she's time traveling, only not so out-there.

Are there tricks to accomplish this? I don't want to do any kind of CGI. Everything has to be accomplished with the camera and eventual editing.

Thank you.

What I would do is to make sure to have enough footage to see when both can match, trying to make the same movements over and over.
Also camera distance and settings must be the same, else there will be a clear before and after.

You can also get very close to her face or her back, then the transition is simpler and also changes will be very subtle.

Yeah, editing is key with plenty of footage. Greenscreen, a treadmill, and a tripod could really help out for this one. Camera location relative to subject will be a cinch to control, and wardrobe changes will have no impact on position. Greenscreen eliminates any background issues/lighting etc. And blending footage will be easier since the running motion will all be the same. All very do-able! Sounds like a fun project, wish it was mine...

Agreed its all about shooting a lot of footage and editing....particularly if you want to match her body movements so they flow together and it doesn't look like it's been cut/pasted.

I've tried doing it experimentally with stuff I've done, and to do it right, you've got to time it and be prepared to go frame by frame if necessary. It can maddening, but I can be a little O/C when it comes to editing anyway(my to my spouse's chagrin) :lol: Try using maybe a slow cross dissolve in combination with it. It can be done, just made need detail :)

Agreed. The most important thing is the maintain continuity between the shots. You won't need any CGI, just make sure the girl is moving exactly the same in each shot. Making sure the camera angle is identical would make it easier, but it could be boring, so just make sure if you change up the angles of the shots that she really moves exactly the same at the time you will be cutting.

As for making it seem like no time has passed, I have one question and two answers. The question is why is she changing scenery all willy nilly like that? Is it sci-fi or are you just doing this for a music video to look cool?

If it's sci-fi, I would say that maybe a really quick fade to and from white would give the indication of some phenomenon being the cause of her movement (maybe I'm just being influenced by 'lost,' I just made it to season 5, lol). This would give you the advantage of having a little more leeway with have the shots match up, but they still should match up as best you can.

If it's just supposed to be unknown or for no reason but you want to show no time has passed, I would say just do a direct jump cut.

As for making it seem like no time has passed, I have one question and two answers. The question is why is she changing scenery all willy nilly like that? Is it sci-fi or are you just doing this for a music video to look cool?

THANKS everyone.

Basically it's a woman who is imagining a story, and keeps changing her location, outfits, plot, to fit her unique sensibilities.

I'm just curious, because I do this all the time. When I day dream I'm always changing things as I go along. Do you folks do this, or am I just a freak?

Back