Making a single location movie

So, I've started researching material for a script that I maybe want to write for a movie that I maybe want to make, and I'm interested in some thoughts. The script consists of a 90-minute police interrogation, and for the most part only uses two characters, with a third appearing for perhaps 20 minutes.

There are a number of really brilliant films that take place in a single location, from Buried to 12 Angry Men. These films seem like an obvious fit for the micro-budget indie arena (for obvious reasons). However, in order for them to work, they generally have to be really, really well executed. To wit, I would not be willing to make the movie unless I really truly feel that the script is good enough, and unless I have actors who I think can hold up the material.

It seems like the achilles heel of these type of movies, for me, is whether or not they are "cinematic". After all, why should this script be a movie instead of a stage play or short story or radio program? There's not really any point in making it, I think, unless I can really find what makes the project "cinema". Buried, for instance, is exceptionally cinematic. It would not have felt as claustrophobic as a stage play.

This got me thinking about the innate differences between cinema and the stage (or any other medium). Movies have the advantage of a fixed perspective, and the ability to alter rhythm through editing. I will probably be thinking a lot about this rhythm, and how it can create tension. This can be thought of as a extra layer (or set of layers) through which story can be told. Also, film is, in some ways, a more intimate medium than theatre. The closeness of the camera means that performances can be more subtle and naturalistic.

Despite the importance of subtlety, it's not all that counts here. No matter how important the minutae is, it's ultimately true that two people sitting and... talking to each other in a room for 90 minutes is awfully boring and certainly isn't very cinematic. It will be important to have the characters move around the room a lot. For this, I intend to take a page from Kurosawa's blocking technique. Despite making very different types of movies his blocking was larger than life... almost operatic... in a way that could be applied to what I'm trying to do here.

So, I can try to create something cinematic by focusing on rhythm and tension in editing and by using the fixed perspective of movies to contrast subtlety in performance with large, operatic movements and blocking. However, I'm not going to do it until I can be sure that all of the other elements are excellent.

Sorry if some of these thoughts are scattered. I sort of want to write an essay on the subject. For now, though, I'd like to hear some people's thoughts on the subject. Is it worth trying? Is there really any reason to do this are a movie instead of a play?

Thanks.

talking to each other in a room for 90 minutes is awfully boring and certainly isn't very cinematic.

That's an interesting perspective on the topic. If you're talking the standard 6 shots with stationary subjects, you may be right. If that's the case, why do the subjects need to be stationary?

With the right set of circumstances, it can work well. With the wrong set, it'll be as boring as batshit.

Is it worth trying?

That's really for you to decide. You're the one who is going to be with this film the longest.

Is there really any reason to do this are a movie instead of a play?

It seems that you've formed an opinion already. Go with what you think is best.

I love one-room concepts. Locke, 12 Angry Men etc... - these are strong films. In fact, 12 Angry Men is one of my favourite films of all-time.

As for cinematography, the medium of film brings something stage cannot. It's the old Michael Caine thought that theatre is emotion under a magnifying glass whereas film is emotion under a microscope. That's what film brings.

Looking forward to seeing your screenplay.

@Sweetie: Yeah, I'm going to give it a shot. If nothing else, I'll have gotten some experience writing.

@gorillaonabike: Yeah, that's an interesting way to frame it. Thanks for the encouragement. I've downloaded videos of a few police interrogations, which I intend to watch and take notes on. Then, there are some books on the subject. Then I'll watch as many limited-location films as I can (and take notes). 12 Angry Men is brilliant, but I've not seen Locke yet. On my list, though!

There are a number of really brilliant films that take place in a single location, from Buried to 12 Angry Men. These films seem like an obvious fit for the micro-budget indie arena (for obvious reasons).

On a very superficial level, they do indeed appear like an obvious fit for the micro-budget filmmaker. It is only at the very superficial level though, closer inspection of the two films you cite as examples reveals that neither were in fact micro-budget films because, as you appear at least partly aware, there's a great deal more to making a good narrative film than just the ease/cost of the location.

No, nothing is guaranteed to be a box office success. That's not the topic at hand. Making a good movie comes first, and that's what I'm trying to discuss.

Actually, that is the topic at hand because making a good movie does not come first! What comes first is identifying what resources are necessary to make a good movie, then obtaining those resources and only then do you have the opportunity to actually employ those resources effectively enough to hopefully make a good film. The reason box office success comes earlier is because the prospect of box office success largely defines your ability to obtain those resources required to make a good film! While I agree that nothing is guaranteed to be a box office success, what is guaranteed is that given the prospect of a similar return, film investors will generally take a 1 in 10 chance of success over a 1 in a million chance!

So, I can try to create something cinematic by focusing on rhythm and tension in editing ...

No you can't! Certainly (picture) editing is a major contributor to rhythm and tension but editing is still only one of the contributing factors. Any rhythm and tension you envisage creating with picture editing can easily be severely weakened or completely defeated, depending on the execution of other film crafts! This is where things get very tricky for the novice filmmaker: On the one hand is the knowledge and experience required to know where, when and how to focus on the various film crafts, in various combinations, to effectively involve the audience in your storytelling, and on the other hand is obtaining the quality of resources necessary to execute those film crafts "really, really well". This brings us back to my previous point about the prospects of a box office success.

G

Given your talent and resources, would you be able to make any movie not relying on special effects "cinematic"? Very talented individuals with the right resources can make almost any subject matter cinematic. As AudioPost so aptly suggested, do you have the talent and resources to pull it off?

Given your talent and resources, would you be able to make any movie not relying on special effects "cinematic"? Very talented individuals with the right resources can make almost any subject matter cinematic. As AudioPost so aptly suggested, do you have the talent and resources to pull it off?

Yeah just make every other shot a dolly push-in

It worked for Kick-Ass 2

:lol:

DeadChannel, definitely give this a try. I've started a program for writers who can pull this off.

Stage plays are very aware of rhythm, so not much one can do there with editing. But what's cinematic and not is very interesting.

PS. I like 12 Angry Men as well, but I find that it has a slightly too big logical problem.

So, I've started researching material for a script that I maybe want to write for a movie that I maybe want to make, and I'm interested in some thoughts. The script consists of a 90-minute police interrogation, and for the most part only uses two characters, with a third appearing for perhaps 20 minutes.

There are a number of really brilliant films that take place in a single location, from Buried to 12 Angry Men. These films seem like an obvious fit for the micro-budget indie arena (for obvious reasons). However, in order for them to work, they generally have to be really, really well executed. To wit, I would not be willing to make the movie unless I really truly feel that the script is good enough, and unless I have actors who I think can hold up the material.

It seems like the achilles heel of these type of movies, for me, is whether or not they are "cinematic". After all, why should this script be a movie instead of a stage play or short story or radio program? There's not really any point in making it, I think, unless I can really find what makes the project "cinema". Buried, for instance, is exceptionally cinematic. It would not have felt as claustrophobic as a stage play.

This got me thinking about the innate differences between cinema and the stage (or any other medium). Movies have the advantage of a fixed perspective, and the ability to alter rhythm through editing. I will probably be thinking a lot about this rhythm, and how it can create tension. This can be thought of as a extra layer (or set of layers) through which story can be told. Also, film is, in some ways, a more intimate medium than theatre. The closeness of the camera means that performances can be more subtle and naturalistic.

Despite the importance of subtlety, it's not all that counts here. No matter how important the minutae is, it's ultimately true that two people sitting and... talking to each other in a room for 90 minutes is awfully boring and certainly isn't very cinematic. It will be important to have the characters move around the room a lot. For this, I intend to take a page from Kurosawa's blocking technique. Despite making very different types of movies his blocking was larger than life... almost operatic... in a way that could be applied to what I'm trying to do here.

So, I can try to create something cinematic by focusing on rhythm and tension in editing and by using the fixed perspective of movies to contrast subtlety in performance with large, operatic movements and blocking. However, I'm not going to do it until I can be sure that all of the other elements are excellent.

Sorry if some of these thoughts are scattered. I sort of want to write an essay on the subject. For now, though, I'd like to hear some people's thoughts on the subject. Is it worth trying? Is there really any reason to do this are a movie instead of a play?

Thanks.

single location films make them pathetically indie. thats the trouble. cinematic usually means more money making it not indie. Your talking about a single location as if its a challenge. its not and your right its not a film its a short.

What I would like to know, is how does using one set for a whole movie save on cost exactly?

The problem with doing this, is that you have to rent the location for much longer amount of time. The cost for one location for a whole feature, can cost just as much as several locations for shorter shoots.

If you rent one location for a 20 day shoot for example. It can cost just as much as renting 10 locations for two day shoots each.

This has been my experience so far, that one location will not save you any money, unless you actually own the location yourself of course, or someone is willing to lend one to you for free, but I wouldn't write a script based on that, because what happens if that person changes their mind?

Your question assume there is no set design or anything at all required. you just roll into a location and it's all perfect and ready to shoot for you.

thats not how things work if you're making a good movie. each location needs attention to detail.

A one-location short would be excellent training for a newbie like me. I would highly recommend it.

"Rear Window" with Jimmy Stewart and the remake with Christopher Reeve are movies with (almost) one location, though, in the original version, there was one shot that was made outside the Jimmy Stewart's room.

I am 100% sure that one-room movies work if they are good enough. In no particular order, here are a few:

12 Angry Men - incredible, a film I think about a lot. Just amazing
Locke - wow.
The Breakfast Club - the defining movie of a generation. Just one room and blew me away when I saw it as a teen. Today, it makes less sense but back then, it touched me to the core and blew me away. Just genius.

Mostly set in one room or very limited numbers of locations:

Das Boot, Cube, Glengarry Glen Ross, Reservoir Dogs, Rear Window (Hitchcock shot a couple mostly in one room), The One Who Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (set in a psychiatric hospital, essentially 3 rooms and one location scene outdoors), Devil set in an elevator (no spoilers), Buried, Phone Booth, Misery, Panic Room, Hard Candy etc...

Some incredible movies have been set in one room and my next, 10-minute short will mostly be set in one room. A fantastic story, amazing script, great actors and for me, 12 Angry Men and The Breakfast Club were life-defining movies.

If you can go for it, absolutely go for it!

Last edited:
Back